General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
K-Meleon copyright
Posted by: who knows
Date: February 14, 2008 02:17AM

I noticed the copyright on K-Meleon is listed as 2000-2007. It is now 2008. Does the date no longer matter?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-Meleon copyright
Posted by: guenter
Date: February 14, 2008 03:06AM

guenter
URL about:

Copyright © 2000-2007 by Contributors to the K-Meleon project under the GNU General Public License. All Rights Reserved.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2008 03:09AM by guenter.

Posted by: So who does know
Date: February 14, 2008 06:41AM

Guenter, I think who knows wants to know if the copyright has expired. It has not
as K-Meleon has not been abandoned. It is actively developed. At least in the US
software that has been abandoned by the maker becomes sort of Freeware. This
applies even to shareware. The law allows the software to be legally cracked.
Some think the law applies only to libraries. Others say that is nonsense and
that the courts have not decided. So you are probably in a country with less
draconian laws as the US anyway. Most are more liberal. But if you have heard
of the above it does not apply to K-Meleon anyway. If that does not answer any
questions am sure someone in forums can help.

Posted by: guenter
Date: February 14, 2008 09:07AM

Enaitz is a Spanish lawyer. he may know for EEC law. Currently k-meleon is a European Project hosted in the US.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2008 09:12AM by guenter.

Posted by: Anonymous User
Date: February 14, 2008 12:18PM

Well, being a lawyer nowadays is like being a doctor, there are zillions of specialities, and some are really rare.

By now I'm the junior lawyer of a firm mostly dedicated to horizontal property and actions agains people with debts, I've also seen some heritages and litle penal.

Sadly, I've never touched this kind of intellectual property matters, even at the university we saw very little about that.

Posted by: kko
Date: February 14, 2008 05:01PM

who knows
I noticed the copyright on K-Meleon is listed as 2000-2007. It is now 2008. Does the date no longer matter?

The year mentioned in a copyright notice for a work is the year in which the work was made. K-Meleon 1.1.4 uses the same K-Meleon code than earlier 1.1.x versions and K-Meleon 1.1 was made in 2007. K-Meleon 1.1.4 only uses newer (2008) Mozilla (Gecko) code. So the copyright notice on the about page is not really wrong. It's not so horribly important. Usually, this page is only updated for major releases like 1.0, 1.1. Next will be 1.5.

An expired date in a copyright notice does not mean that the copyright expired. smiling smiley

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.