General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Faster K-Meleon's opening ?
Posted by: elkanguro
Date: February 18, 2008 05:32PM

Hi, I would like to speed up opening process of K-Meleon. I tried to use loader. But, when loader is running it only speeds up opening browser by clicking at the icon in tray. Double click at normal K-Meleon.exe doesn't open the browser faster and sometimes it doesn't open the browser at all! Is this a method to make a shortcut on a Desktop to open K-Meleon by double click as fast as by clicking at loader.exe tray icon? Some shortcut working exactly in the same way as this tray icon?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Faster K-Meleon's opening ?
Posted by: Arrow
Date: February 19, 2008 01:57AM

How long is it taking?
K-m is much faster to initially load than Firefox but all Gecko browsers initially load slower much than internet explorer based ones for example.

On xp you could try this

How to: Make programs load faster.

This little tweak helps load programs faster.

1. Right click on the program shortcut icon that you want to speed up.
2. Click "Properties".
3. Then select the "Shortcut" tab.
4. Where it says "Target: "C:\Program Files\program.exe" ,after the .exe, type: "/prefetch:1". So now it says "C:\Program Files\program.exe" /prefetch:1
5. Click OK!

Viola! Enjoy your faster opening programs!

Posted by: joe
Date: February 19, 2008 04:57AM

I tried the tweak. K-Meleon opens instantly but I get a 'page error' message. I close 'page error' layer and surf as usual. No change in surfing speed.

Posted by: joe
Date: February 19, 2008 05:02AM

joe
I tried the tweak. K-Meleon opens instantly but I get a 'page error' message. I close 'page error' layer and surf as usual. No change in surfing speed.

Page load error, sorry.

Date: February 19, 2008 06:37PM

Apparently some third party applications do throw up an error using the prefetch method.

I use Hao's K-M versions and they load pretty quickly so I have never personally tried it.

Found this article regarding speeding up firefox loading, maybe someone here can see how/if it works with k-meleon

http://www.techsupportalert.com/how_to_make_firefox_faster.htm

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2008 06:38PM by Arrow.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: February 19, 2008 07:58PM

joe
No change in surfing speed.

The speed of surfin is not related to k-meleon, Joe. Ok, K-meleon loads great the pages but behind that you have to understand the load of the servers, the size of the page, your connection, your broadband in that moment, your ping...

K-meleon is just the ship, not the sea.

Posted by: frank
Date: February 22, 2008 04:56AM

I also tried the tweak and K-Meleon 1.1.4 opens web pages much faster now, while browsing. Thanks to Arrow for the tip!

Date: February 23, 2008 02:58AM

Thanks

But I don't see how webpages can load faster, it's ony a tweak to
make applications (any application) load faster on Xp.

Once the application has loaded the prefetch tweak is non operational

Posted by: casper
Date: February 29, 2008 12:18AM

I made a thread about a loader bug problem which I submitted a report on but I have not heard anything as of yet.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.