General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
File handling problem
Posted by: File handling?
Date: March 02, 2008 06:46PM

The list under 'Advanced Preferences', 'Browsing', 'File Handling' is completely empty (it wasn't yesterday) and I van't find a way to add file handlers for e.g. pdf, doc etc. How to?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: File handling problem
Posted by: JujuLand
Date: March 03, 2008 11:36AM

Edit > Edit Mimetypes

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Posted by: File handling?
Date: March 05, 2008 11:54PM

Thanks, but I have no idea what you are talkin about.

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: March 06, 2008 08:55AM

Edit (menu)
Edit Mimetypes
New type

mime type: application/pdf
description: Portable Document Format
suffix: pdf

choose open with default program, if you have a default program set for pdf files

or choose open with and browse to choose the program

or choose save if you want to save it

then you can check for asking what to do

ok to validate and that's good

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Posted by: disrupted
Date: June 26, 2008 07:25PM

i'm having the same problem.. i think it used to work, can't remember last time i've accessed it.. but now it's completely empty, i have no idea why.. i didn't install any new plugins or extensions lately, i know the method of adding types from the edit menu.. i'm just wondering why my mime dialog has an empty list now and if anyone has figured anything to fix it?

p.s. i tried removing the kmeleon profile documents(application data folder), hoping it would get fixed when resetting to default but it didn't work

Posted by: disrupted
Date: June 26, 2008 08:03PM

i figured it out.. i went to the plugins folder, and removed a couple of plugins to see if it works, i have a lot of plugins but luckily one of the two i removed was responsible for displaying the empty list.. the plugin is npbittorrent.dll and it installs with the bittorrent client, once it was removed the list displayed mime types in filehandling dialog properly and i was able to edit actions etc.

so if anyone encounters this problem.. first look for the bittorrent plugin.. rename the extension or delete it, if you don't have a bittorrent plugin, move all plugins to another folder and start adding each plugin one by one , every time checking in the advanced preferences>file handling dialog untill it displays an empty list then you've found the guilty plugin.

Posted by: guenter
Date: June 26, 2008 08:49PM

Glad You found it!

p.s. It is not only that some plugins can obscure the shown mimeTypes. sad smiley

If I remember correctly: There are additional problems associated:

If a mimeTypes.rdf (mimeTypes.rdf, that is the file's name) has faulty entries - then all entries after the fault can be invisible. alain & kko who last worked on the editor's current version pointed me to this shortcoming. The editor lets You make wrong entries!

I do not rememeber whether the the 2 older versions by Monkey-Sage had this problem also. AFAIRememeber they had the same/more faults and were bigger.

Some new K-Meleon's mimeTypes.rdf have few items in the list . You can use/copy a mimeTypes.rdf from older K-Meleons. It had more entries but they can be only edited and viewed by the dedicated mimeTypes editor not by the mimeTypes editor that is in Advanced Preferences.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2008 08:50PM by guenter.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.