General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Rename-Add to any folder.
Posted by: caktus
Date: March 28, 2008 10:16AM

Is it possible to Rename-Add a web page to a location other than a Favorites folder. I hope this would be possible since virtually all files and folders can be navigated to in the Rename-Add window, though currently pages can only be saved to the Favorites directory.

Thanks. I hope you guy's don't mind me throwing this curve ball at you.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rename-Add to any folder.
Posted by: JamesD
Date: March 28, 2008 01:07PM

I don't think you can use a folder that is not favorites or a sub-folder of favorites.

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: March 28, 2008 02:07PM

It perhaps would be possible by using a modified version of the script (vbs) by kko which allows to create shortcut on the desktop.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Posted by: kko
Date: March 28, 2008 04:52PM

Of course it's possible. Favorites (Internet Shortcuts) can be created anywhere. There's actually no need to restrict creation to the Favorites folder.

Date: March 28, 2008 10:21PM

I thought you were refering to the Favrenadd macro. In the macro the initial folder for the promptforfolder statement has Favorites as the value. If you were to replace that value with something like C: I guess you could make the favorite go anywhere. It did not seem reasonable to put then anywhere else at the time. There may be other codes changes required to make the macro work for a non Favorites folder.

Date: March 29, 2008 10:38AM

In regard to the Favrenadd macro:

Using the Favorites folder as the initial folder for the promptforfolder statement is reasonable. But the initial folder is just that: the initial folder. Users can nevertheless choose a different folder. The _FavRenAdd_RnameTrue_loop macro just doesn't allow them to do that...

In the _FavRenAdd_RnameTrue_loop macro, you turn the absolute path returned from the promptforfolder statement into a relative path (relative to the Favorites folder), just to make the path absolute again in the _FavRenAdd_RnameTrue macro. That's actually redundant.

Another thing: When, in the "browse for folder" dialog, the user presses the Cancel button, the shortcut creation should be canceled.

Date: March 31, 2008 10:20PM

Sorry Guy's. Seems like I am getting mixed signals. It seems on one hand, I am being told that it CAN be done. Yet on the other, it seems I'm being told that it CANNOT be done.

I guess I must be driving you Guy's nuts over this, as I have been trying for months to get 1.5a1 customized to auto-save shortcuts either to the Desktop or to a folder of my choice using the Favorites Rename-Add dialogue.

I know I could just go back to using KM 1.1.4 and use the Shortcut.kmm/.js, but I like using 1.5a1 because it renders pages so very fast while apparently it is as stable as 1.1.4.

Charlie

Date: April 01, 2008 02:10AM

Both answers are correct. You can put the shortcut anywhere you wish but not using FavRenAdd macro. I made the macro such that it would only work with the Favorites folder or a sub folder of Favorites. KKO is correct in that you could write to any place if you made enough changes in FavRenAdd. The problem is how would you use the shortcuts if they were not in Favorites. I don't think the Favorites DLL reads outside of the Favorites folder.

I am using FavRenAdd with version 1.5a1 but I always work with the Favorites folder(s). You must use the latest version in the Macro Library for it to work. KM 1.5 got a better macro language and I had to change the macro to account for that.

I don't use the desktop for shortcuts to the internet myself so I have not tried the Shortcut macro. Does it not work in version 1.5a1?

JamesD

Date: April 01, 2008 05:24AM

JamesD
I always work with the Favorites folder(s)

I guess it's just as easy to create in Favorites, shortcuts to various directories in which I wish to save pages/files. That way I guess it's just like six of one or half dozen of the other. Guess I'll just have to get used to doing it that way. Some times old habits are just so hard to break.

Thanks. smiling smiley

Charlie

Date: April 01, 2008 03:52PM

Charlie

Do you wish to see shortcuts to saved pages from within KM? I should point out that shortcuts to saved pages will not show in Favorites except when in edit mode. The IE Favorites DLL in KM will only show shortcuts where the target is a URL. It will not show those where the target is a file. Shortcuts on the desktop or within a folder can point to a file.

I hope this info helps.

JamesD

Date: April 01, 2008 06:49PM

Thank you James. I never noticed that, perhaps because I usually look up Fav's via the Start menu so I don't have to be concerned about restarting KM before new Fav's become available. But now I see that new Fav's, and also files that have been saved to Fav's are immediately available in the Fav's Edit menu. Big help.smiling smiley

Thanks.smiling smiley

Charlie

Date: April 01, 2008 07:17PM

For FavRenAdd.kmm, replace this code:

_FavRenAdd_RnameTrue{
####   look three places for the favorites directory
$_FavRenAdd_FavFolder=getpref(STRING,"kmeleon.plugins.favorites.directory");
$_FavRenAdd_FavFolder==""?$_FavRenAdd_FavFolder=readreg("HKCU","Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\Shell Folders\\Favorites"):0;
$_FavRenAdd_FavFolder==""?$_FavRenAdd_FavFolder=readreg("HKLM","Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\Shell Folders\\Favorites"):0;
####   $_FavRenAdd_FavFolder should have the path for the favorites folder   c:\something\favorites
####   call _FavRenAdd_RnameTrue_loop until $_FavRenAdd_SubFolder is no longer a "?"
$_FavRenAdd_SubFolder="?";   while($_FavRenAdd_SubFolder=="?") &_FavRenAdd_RnameTrue_loop;
$_FavRenAdd_Title = substr($_FavRenAdd_value,1);
macros(_FavRenAdd_Sanitize_Title) ;                                
$_FavRenAdd_PathName = $_FavRenAdd_FavFolder."\\".$_FavRenAdd_SubFolder."\\".$_FavRenAdd_Title.".url" ;
$_FavRenAdd_Ext_Interger = 1;
while ($_FavRenAdd_Ext_Interger > 0 ) &_FavRenAdd_Duplicates_loop ;
$_FavRenAdd_s1 = "k-meleon.FavRenAdd.s1" ;
$_FavRenAdd_s2 = "k-meleon.FavRenAdd.s2" ;
delpref($_FavRenAdd_s1);
delpref($_FavRenAdd_s1);
setpref(STRING,$_FavRenAdd_s1,$_FavRenAdd_PathName );
setpref(STRING,$_FavRenAdd_s2,$_FavRenAdd_CurURL );
$_FavRenAdd_Profile_Path = getfolder( ProfileFolder );
# $_fmax: The length of the command line must not exceed 258 characters!
$_fmax=258; $_fcmd="(wscript.exe \"" .$_FavRenAdd_Path. "\" \"".$_FavRenAdd_Profile_Path.")" ;
length($_fcmd)>$_fmax ? &_FavRenAdd_Error : exec("wscript.exe \"".$_FavRenAdd_Path."\" \"".$_FavRenAdd_Profile_Path."\"") ;
}

by this code:

_FavRenAdd_RnameTrue{
####   look three places for the favorites directory
$_FavRenAdd_FavFolder==""?$_FavRenAdd_FavFolder=readreg("HKCU","Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\Shell Folders\\Favorites"):0;
$_FavRenAdd_FavFolder==""?$_FavRenAdd_FavFolder=readreg("HKLM","Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\Shell Folders\\Favorites"):0;
####   $_FavRenAdd_FavFolder should have the path for the favorites folder   c:\something\favorites
####   call _FavRenAdd_RnameTrue_loop until $_FavRenAdd_SubFolder is no longer a "?"
#$_FavRenAdd_SubFolder="?";   while($_FavRenAdd_SubFolder=="?") &_FavRenAdd_RnameTrue_loop;
$_FavRenAdd_SubFolder=promptforfolder("Specify where to add the new shortcut. Select your Favorites folder or one of its subfolders:",$_FavRenAdd_FavFolder);
$_FavRenAdd_SubFolder==""?0:&_FavRenAdd_RnameTrue2;
}
_FavRenAdd_RnameTrue2{
#$_FavRenAdd_PathName = $_FavRenAdd_FavFolder."\\".$_FavRenAdd_SubFolder."\\".$_FavRenAdd_Title.".url" ;
$_FavRenAdd_PathName = $_FavRenAdd_SubFolder."\\".$_FavRenAdd_Title.".url" ;
delpref($_FavRenAdd_s1);
delpref($_FavRenAdd_s1);
$_fmax=258; $_fcmd="(wscript.exe \"" .$_FavRenAdd_Path. "\" \"".$_FavRenAdd_Profile_Path.")" ;
length($_fcmd)>$_fmax ? &_FavRenAdd_Error : exec("wscript.exe \"".$_FavRenAdd_Path."\" \"".$_FavRenAdd_Profile_Path."\"") ;
}

and you can create your Favorites wherever you like.

Date: April 01, 2008 07:19PM

Shortcut.kmm also works with km 1.5 - I'm using both since almost half a year and never had a problem with it. You just have to uncomment the line below # K-Meleon 1.5: and comment out the line below # K-Meleon prior to 1.5:. In other words, make the lines:

_Shortcut{
# K-Meleon 1.5:
#$_len>$_max?&_Shortcut_Error: ($_len>$_max-4?exec($_cmd):&_Shortcut_Create);
# K-Meleon prior to 1.5:
($_len-$_max)>0?&_Shortcut_Error: (($_len-$_max+4)>0?exec($_cmd):&_Shortcut_Create);
}

look like this:

_Shortcut{
# K-Meleon 1.5:
$_len>$_max?&_Shortcut_Error: ($_len>$_max-4?exec($_cmd):&_Shortcut_Create);
# K-Meleon prior to 1.5:
#($_len-$_max)>0?&_Shortcut_Error: (($_len-$_max+4)>0?exec($_cmd):&_Shortcut_Create);
}

Date: April 03, 2008 03:26AM

@kko

Thank you for walking me through changing the "Create Shortcut" macro. It works like a charm.smiling smiley

However, Changing the FavRenAdd.kmm macro as suggested has removed Favren-Add option from the Favorites menu. I made the change several times to make sure I followed your instructions properly. But below is the FavRenAdd.kmm with the suggested changes just in case I didn't do it correctly (which is very likely.):s

_FavRenAdd_RnameTrue{
#### look three places for the favorites directory
#### $_FavRenAdd_FavFolder should have the path for the favorites folder c:\something\favorites
#### call _FavRenAdd_RnameTrue_loop until $_FavRenAdd_SubFolder is no longer a "?"
#$_FavRenAdd_SubFolder="?"; while($_FavRenAdd_SubFolder=="?") &_FavRenAdd_RnameTrue_loop;
$_FavRenAdd_SubFolder=promptforfolder("Specify where to add the new shortcut. Select your Favorites folder or one of its subfolders:",$_FavRenAdd_FavFolder);
$_FavRenAdd_SubFolder==""?0:&_FavRenAdd_RnameTrue2;
}
_FavRenAdd_RnameTrue2{
#$_FavRenAdd_PathName = $_FavRenAdd_FavFolder."\\".$_FavRenAdd_SubFolder."\\".$_FavRenAdd_Title.".url" ;
$_FavRenAdd_PathName = $_FavRenAdd_SubFolder."\\".$_FavRenAdd_Title.".url" ;
delpref($_FavRenAdd_s1);
delpref($_FavRenAdd_s1);
}

Charlie

Posted by: david streetman
Date: April 03, 2008 03:01PM

I am using the K-Meleon brouser with a new Vista system and have two problems. !) when I create a New Folder in the files or on the desktop I am not able to rename it. "This folder doesn't exist." The little man in my machine has a sense of humor. 2) Also, when I download from the internet I get the K-Meleon horsehead, I presume the symbol for a link. But the link will not open the target. Are these problems due to the browser or to Vista?

Date: April 03, 2008 04:53PM

RE: 1. Did the problem start before or after KM was installed? If after, perhaps the KM install is corrupt (it occasionally happens with all programs) it should be removed using Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel, then reinstalled. Also, the installer may have been corrupted during download (this too can occur with all programs) and should be re-downloaded.

But if the problem occurred, or may have occurred prior to KM, see here. You have to register to post.

RE: 2. Again could be same as above. But it also may help to run MS Update. Or could be a file association problem, MS Update may fix this.

Also, Vista seems to still have a lot of bugs that need to be worked out. But if these problems were (or may have been) occurring prior to KM, I would suggest contacting the manufacturer's or vendors support team if the system is still under warranty. Also another place to get general help with many computer problems is the CNET Forums. But registration is safe.

Hope this is helpful.

Charlie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2008 04:55PM by caktus.

twylankz fkem
Posted by: fzkeanrh sawbo
Date: October 01, 2008 07:32AM

qhbjgzfr urqkwhvcz nzey ipljzndra higf xrvae ibtgchrk

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.