General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
What is the difference between seamonkey & firefox?
Posted by: Arrow
Date: March 30, 2008 05:40AM

In layman's terms please?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What is the difference between seamonkey & firefox?
Posted by: casper
Date: March 30, 2008 07:35AM

SeaMonkey is a application suite with a Web Browser, E-Mail client, HTLM Editor & IRC chat in the one package, Firefox is a stand alone Web Browser however both application are based on the same code (Gecko) that's the simplest way I can explain it too you hope this helps.

Posted by: desga_2
Date: March 30, 2008 08:09AM

Firefox=Minivan
Seamonkey=SUV
K-Meleon=Sport

Posted by: guenter
Date: March 30, 2008 09:52AM

Firefox is a slow K-Meleon that can have many extensions - and SeaMonkey integrates some extensions such as Mail, HTML Editor, News Reader... by default (Mail... were part of the Netscape Gold Suite/continued until Netscape 4.8 - You may still find old pages created with its HTML Editor).

p.s. Mozilla suite continued the Netscape suite after the browser wars. For many years Mozilla was the testbed for Gecko engine development.

Next came Galeon(Unix) and K-Meleon(win32) as browser only, slim applications.
When K-Meleon was @ 0.7 already tongue sticking out smiley people at Mozilla.org had the "new" grinning smiley idea of a browser only application, thus Firefox was born.

Now Firefox is the flagship of Mozilla.org and AFAIK the only testbed for Gecko development since about Mozilla 1.7.13.

Mozilla suite was discontinued with version 1.7.13. Robert Kaiser and other developers wanted to continue the Mozilla suite but did not have the rights to the name so SeaMonkey project was born.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2008 10:01AM by guenter.

Posted by: Arrow
Date: March 31, 2008 03:45AM

Thanks very interesting history.
I first used netscape which I didn't care for, then K-meleon.
I think I came in near the end of k-m 0.8

I tried seamonkey for the first time yesterday and liked it more than firefox (which I have never used much - too clunky ) but I can't customize Seamonkey like I can K-meleon.

I'll stick to the sporty vehicle grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2008 03:46AM by Arrow.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.