General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
alt-tab functionality
Posted by: honest1abe
Date: April 14, 2008 09:06PM

When I first was considering K-Meleon, thought I read where it supports Alt-tab functionality within the browser similar to Word or Excel alowing to Alt-tab within the program.

I have been unable to figure out how to do this in K-Meleon so either I was mistaken or have not searched in the right way to find it.

If this is not a function of K-Meleon, I would like very much to request it. Perhaps it could be made available as a plugin.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: alt-tab functionality
Posted by: desga2
Date: April 15, 2008 12:18AM

Sorry, i don't know this functionality that you talk.
What happend in word or excel, or what you like happend when press Alt+Tab?

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: JamesD
Date: April 15, 2008 12:55PM

Tried this out with Excel. When I press Alt + tab in Excel I get a little window where other running apps are shown one at a time. With KM running I get first KM and if I press tab again I see Excel. Whichever one is showing when I release the Alt key becomes the current window. Note, the same thing happens from KM. When I press Alt + tab I see Excel first and then KM. I think this is an operating system thing and not Excel or KM. I am using Win XP SP2.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: April 15, 2008 01:52PM

I think what he/she means is ctrl+tab, but indeed, this doesn't work with Word and Excel either so...

I don't know what he/she means. Probably he wants to change from layer to layer using ctrl+tab.

But only one thing and is confirm that this functionality is not available on Excel/Word :-?

Date: April 16, 2008 12:58PM

"Probably he wants to change from layer to layer using ctrl+tab."

This work by default in K-Meleon.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: April 16, 2008 07:26PM

Oops, as I don't use layers I thought there wasn't that accelerator according to his message confused smiley

Sorry.

Date: April 19, 2008 04:51AM

That was Fast! 6 posts already. I am impressed.

Honest1abe is a he and Control tab functionality is exactly what I am seeking, but I am in the habit of using Alt tab.

In Excel (or Word), if you have more than one spreadsheet open (or Word doc), Alt tab switches first between open spreadsheets or docs, then other icons for currently running apps may also be selected.

This is particularly useful if only Excel (or Word) is open. To use Control tab will take some breaking of habits, but would be useful. I'd still like to be able to have Alt tab exhibit this functionality if it is not too difficult to implement.

I work in an environment where it is helpful to be able to rapidly switch between running apps and multiple browser windows. Switching between Alt Tab and Control tab would add another level of complexity.

Thanks again for the multiplicity of replies with such alacrity.

Date: April 19, 2008 08:37AM

Alt+Tab can't be override by K-Meleon because is a System key accelerator and this have preference.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2008 11:52AM by desga2.

Posted by: guenter
Date: April 19, 2008 09:01AM

There is a accel.cfg in Your profile; It can be edited and overrides ....
That cfg can be reached via a submenu of Edit > Configuration.
AFAIK It has explanation...

Greetings to Spain and the US (especially to the Austin area and NC) smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2008 09:04AM by guenter.

Posted by: kko
Date: April 19, 2008 05:21PM

honest1abe
In Excel (or Word), if you have more than one spreadsheet open (or Word doc), Alt tab switches first between open spreadsheets or docs, then other icons for currently running apps may also be selected.

This is particularly useful if only Excel (or Word) is open. To use Control tab will take some breaking of habits, but would be useful. I'd still like to be able to have Alt tab exhibit this functionality if it is not too difficult to implement.

I work in an environment where it is helpful to be able to rapidly switch between running apps and multiple browser windows. Switching between Alt Tab and Control tab would add another level of complexity.

K-Meleon is not behaving different from other browsers like Firefox, SeaMonkey, Opera and Safari:
- Alt+Tab is used to switch between application windows (and is handled by the OS).
- Ctrl+Tab is used to switch between documents (tabs) in the current application window.
This is simple and efficient, and users of the aforementioned browsers are used to it since years. I see no benefit in mixing up both functions - not to mention that this would break the habits of most of our users.

Not K-Meleon is the exception in this regard, it's MS Office, and consequently you are used to the exception and not to the normal case. Sorry, but we cannot make it right for everybody. No application can be like all other applications at the same time...

Date: April 20, 2008 03:30AM

Completely understandable. I had never really used CTRL-tab and did not realize it was available. It won't take me long to get used to it.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Posted by: Edith
Date: June 26, 2008 08:16PM

I found the solution.. You have to go into Excel, select <Tools> <Options> <View> <WindowsInTaskbar> *is checked*.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.