General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Download speed in K-Meleon vs Konqueror
Posted by: francisc1701
Date: April 22, 2008 10:35AM

I usually use Win2k sp4 with K-Meleon, but occasionally I use Kanotix, with Konqueror. I downloaded a large file (100 Mcool smiley from a site, once with K-Meleon and once with Konqueror. With K-Meleon I got between 120 KB/s and 300 KB/s, and with Konqueror I got between 250 KB/s and 800 KB/s. My Internet connection is (officially) 10 Mbit/s. So why this difference ?

By the way, I optimized the receive window with tuneup utilities for a 10 Mbit/s connection (a long time ago).

Any ideas are welcome. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Download speed in K-Meleon vs Konqueror
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: April 22, 2008 02:02PM

Do various speed test at speedtest.net with different servers and then we talk smiling smiley

From your downloads, have you compared them at the same time? Did you know the server load in that moment? Did you know if the server upgraded its upload bandwidth?

Download 1 file from a site is not a test.

Download serveral files from several locations is a test.

That's the difference. So try both advices and then we'll discuss smiling smiley

Posted by: kko
Date: April 22, 2008 05:09PM

I agree with JohnHell. Speed tests are difficult because they are highly depending on the server. And the server is out of your control, usually...

Another aspect: TCP/IP traffic is normally managed by the OS, not by the browser. So what are we actually comparing? K-Meleon vs. Konqueror or Win2k vs. Linux? The TCP/IP settings of Windows are known to be suboptimal for high bandwidth. You can tweak these settings, but that requires some expertise...

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: April 22, 2008 07:21PM

There is also a working version or port (or something else and apps to let linux apps to work under windows) of konqueror to Windows but, yes, if we talk Windows against Linux... Linux is amazing using networks (including internet connection). But here at home we are 3 with Windows 2000 and 0 speed problems smiling smiley

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.