importing bookmarks from FireFox (2008)
Posted by: Jack
Date: April 24, 2008 01:41PM

I want to import all my bookmarks from FireFox to K-Meleon.
Running Windows Vista Business.
I have tried going to EDIT then Preferences then Plugins
and Selecting Netscape Bookmark Plugins then
hitting configure. Got a lot of junk from MSN but nothing
from FireFox.
Could someone point me in the right direction to accomplish
this - Please...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2017 10:40AM by siria.

Re: importing bookmarks from FireFox
Posted by: desga2
Date: April 24, 2008 02:07PM
Date: April 24, 2008 03:18PM

Benn there. Done that.
It doesn't work.
Sorry

Posted by: Terry
Date: April 24, 2008 07:42PM

@Jack I do not have a copy of Vista, so I really don't know how it stores things. However, it it keeps to the NT,2000,XP ways of doing things, If you have installed Firefox "globally" or to be used by all users, bookmarks.html should be found in \Documents and Settings\"yourname"\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\funnynumber.slt\
Using Windows Explorer you can manuever there (or just do a search) and once found hold down the CTRL key and press the C key.
If you installed K-Meleon as multi-user, you would go to \Documents and Settings\"yourname"\Application Data\K-Meleon\default\funnynumber.slt\
Then press CTRL and V to overwrite the bookmarks.html you find there.
If you installed K-Meleon to be local, you would go to \Program Files\K-Meleon (or what ever folder you designated)\Profile\default\funnynumber.slt\
After doing this, K-Meleon will begin using the Firefox bookmarks. It depends, sometimes you are alerted at the beginning of the session or sometimes when you go to close the browser, it will tell you that the bookmarks are not K-Meleon's would you like to save them or convert them. Tell it yes.
That should get things working.

Date: April 24, 2008 09:14PM

Thank you Terry for responding.
I found the FireFox Bookmarks in Windows Vista. Not sure if they are in the correct format for moving to K-Meleon. I have no idea how I installed K-Meleon (multi-user or local). I am the only one using the computer so I guess it's local.
Could not find the Bookmarks for K-Meleon in Windows Vista.
I have more than 100 bookmarks so it's to many to do by hand.

Date: April 24, 2008 09:30PM

I think I have found the bookmarks for K-Meleon in Windows Vista.
Users
Jack
roaming
K-Meleon
8ik9qnl5.slt
bookmarks.html

However: Cntrl key press C key
and
Cntrl key press V key doesn't seem to add anything to
K-Meleons bookmarks.
At the present time I have no bookmarks in K-Meleon.

Date: April 24, 2008 09:34PM

Use Windows Explorer. Be sure that you have highlighted Local Disk (C). Then, click on the Search button. Then, the files and folders inpu boz, type in Bookmarks.html That will find where bookmarks are all over your hard drive. Within the directories will be at least one that says \K-Meleon\. That will be where you will need to copy your Firefox bookmarks.html to.

Date: April 24, 2008 09:43PM

You must have posted as I did. If Ctrl C (copy) and Ctrl V for paste doesn't work, use Windows Explorer, go to the place where Firefox stores bookmarks.html and right click on the bookmarks.html and choose Copy from the drop down menu. Then, go to where you've found the bookmarks.html for K-Meleon and right click in a blank space and choose Paste from the drop down menu. It should warn you that you are overwriting or replacing a file. That's what you want. Replace it.

Date: April 24, 2008 10:16PM

Thanks so much Terry. I am the proud owner of new bookmarks in K-Meleon.
Sorry to be such a bother.
Thanks again
Jack

QS: Whenever I close K-meleon and restart computer : All Bookmark and other settings are gone , Help needed
Posted by: AAB
Date: April 25, 2008 03:52AM

I don't why this happens. I need to know this. K-meleon is a nice browser and I need to know this to work in K-meleon.

Date: April 25, 2008 04:19AM

@AAB This kind of thing usually happens when a Profile is corrupted. It can also happen when you have two different K-Meleon versions installed on the computer and their profiles are incompatible and both were installed as multi-user. Each time one is run, it "breaks" the other's profile.

IF you have only one K-Meleon version installed and the profile keeps disappearing, then you should Uninstall K-Meleon. Be sure to go to the directory \Documents and Settings\"yourname"\Application Data\K-Meleon\default\funnynumber.slt\ and delete the K-Meleon folder in case the uninstall did not remove it. Also look for the \K-Meleon folder under \Program Files and delete it also if it was not removed. Once all traces are gone, reinstall K-Meleon. If you install it as multiuser, the Profile will be found in the folder \Documents and Settings\... .

You can have any number of K-Meleon versions on your machine, but only one should be installed as multi-user. The rest should be local - that is. in the folder where k-meleon.exe is found, a file called profile.ini should exist for that version of you want to run. You can create profile.ini using notepad.exe. It's contents are
[Profile]
path=Profiles
isrelative=1

Hope this helps you track down what happens to your disappearing Profile.

THANKS FOR REPLYING SO QUICK , I REALLY APPRECIATE IT
Posted by: AAB
Date: April 25, 2008 09:02AM

All settings change to default. As if I never changed preferences. It's rather annoying. Have Changed preferences quiet a few times.

Though, I must mention here that I have two profiles. The profile is fixed to default. The fixed profile should change when I changed all the preferences.

I am going to try to fix the problem. I am going to try what you have told me to do.

I really, appreciate it.

Regards,
BeFriends ( AAB )

Posted by: marabbeh
Date: May 02, 2008 08:45PM

Hi,

I have the same problem: trying to import bookmarks from Firefox (on win XP). I did what you said but after import, if I click on bookmarks menu K-meleon (1.1.5) bugs and shuts down. I read that K-meleon should tell "these bookmarks are not K-meleon's" and attempts to change them, but it doesn't.

Thanks for reading,

marabbeh

Date: May 02, 2008 10:06PM

@marabbeh - K-Meleon really doesn't "import" bookmarks. The reason is that mozilla browsers stash their bookmarks in too many places. However, you can copy bookmarks.html from one Mozilla browser to another.

You need to know where your Firefox keeps its bookmarks.html. In General, it is kept in \Documents and Settings\"yourname"\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\funnynumber.slt\

Using Windows Explorer, the easiest thing to do is do as search of your hard drive. Make sure that you have Local Disk (c: ) selected click on search and in files and folders type in bookmarks.html.

This should find all instances of bookmarks.html for both Firefox and K-Meleon.
When it has found the bookmarks.html (it might find two for Firefox, just choose the larger one in terms of bytes), Select the file with the mouse (left click on it) then hold down the Ctrl key on the keyboard and then depress the C key on the keyboard. This will copy the file.

Notice where the K-Meleon version of the bookmarks.html file is located. It is probable that it will be located here: \Documents and Settings\"yourname"\Application Data\K-Meleon\default\funnynumber.slt\

Using Windowns explorer follow the folders until you see bookmarks.html click into the blank space with the mouse on the right side of the panel, and hold down Ctrl and depresss the V button. This will overwrite the K-Meleon bookmarks.html and Widows will ask you if this is what you want to do. Answer yes.

When you start K-Meleon, it should then be using the new bookmarks. When you go to close K-Meleon, it may tell you that those bookmarks were not created by K-Meleon and would you like to save them. Tell it yes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2008 10:08PM by Terry.

Posted by: Rasyied
Date: November 17, 2011 08:41AM

Import Bookmark from Firefox for K-Meleon

1. Close K-Meleon Browser

2. Open Windows Explorer, browse to folder C:\...\K-Meleon Browser\defaults\profile\

3. Backup your K-Meleon Bookmarks in that folder (bookmarsk.html), copy anywhere u like - in case something wrong or fault.

4. Start firefox, Ctrl+Shift+B, Import & Backup, Export HTML, > then put in the folder C:\...\K-Meleon Browser\defaults\profile\

5. Start K-Meleon, DONE !!! K-Meleon's Bookmarsk identical with Firefox's Bookmarks.

If u wanna add more / merge K-Meleon's Bookmarks & Firefox's Bookmarks together, make import from Firefox first:

- Start Firefox, Ctrl+Shift+B, Import & Backup, Import HTML, > browse to folder C:\...\K-Meleon Browser\defaults\profile\, and open the "bookmarsk.html" file.

- Check your firefox's bookmarks first, if the lists are not what u need, arrange again or make edit as u like, then

- Do bookmark export as mention on point 4 above.

GL&HAND tongue sticking out smiley tongue sticking out smiley tongue sticking out smiley

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.