General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
how to edit password file
Posted by: ndebord
Date: April 27, 2008 06:18PM

When I edit the password file using notepad, the next time I use it, my old passwords are not recognized. When I look in the file, I find them, but KM refuses to use them. Any ideas of how to do this better?

Tks,

N

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how to edit password file
Posted by: JujuLand
Date: April 27, 2008 06:41PM

Perhaps due to CR or/and LF, try to use another editor, like pspad. I haven't had problems with it.

Don't forget too that records are separated by a line having just a .

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Date: May 01, 2008 03:22AM

Yes, cr and lf. That must have been it. We need to resurrect that old TOOLS subfolder and bundle an editor for the password file. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has screwed up current password files (usually because I want to delete old settings that are no longer needed).

<sigh>

N

Date: May 01, 2008 06:53AM

Since 1.0 (and perhaps before), K-Meleon allows to manage (delete) and see password. So I haven't seen the necessity to improve KmPass.

The only advantage will be the fact that we can change some values, instead of deleting and creating again an entry.

Why do you think the actual k-meleon way to handle passwords isn't enough ?

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Posted by: guenter
Date: May 01, 2008 08:53AM

alain,

it could be made editable - cut paste etc. But all can use an editor instead.

p. s. So it is IMHO not needed to consume working time for changes.

Date: May 01, 2008 05:20PM

Yes, but we must decode it and recode it, and I'm a little lazy ...smiling smiley

A+

Date: May 02, 2008 08:01PM

<<Why do you think the actual k-meleon way to handle passwords isn't enough ? >>

Well, I think the reason is the obvious one. When you use an external editor, you may or may not remember to turn word wrap off and if you fail at it and don't have a backup, your password file is a "cooked goose" and you start from scratch, unless you have manually backed up the password file.

N

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: May 04, 2008 02:44PM

Ehm... I never had problems with notepad or wordpad. Maybe sometimes is better wordpad becasue I don't know how the hell was done notepad for Win2k but it doesn't show correctly normal txt if they aren't strictly simple txts. But as I say, never had problems with them, less with wordpad.

Date: May 04, 2008 10:06PM

The second thought would be if you do have wordwrap turned off, because there is no whitespace separation between passwords, you end up with one big jumble of text when you edit the file. Not the easiest thing to look at in notepad, for instance.

N

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.