General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Page rendering vs. Firefox & IE
Posted by: BrianG
Date: June 11, 2008 12:21PM

I just made the change from Firefox to K-Meleon primarily for the quickness of K-Meleon. I have found some page rendering differences all having to do with javascript. Here is a URL to a page on LLBean.com:

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=tropicwear-shirt&categoryId=36453&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=502684&cat4=502683&shop_method=pp&feat=502684-tn&np=Y

In Firefox (with scripting allowed in NoScript) & IE a link to a larger image appears under the image of the shirt. A copy of the link shows this:

javascript:pageControllerObject.launchZoom(zmUrl);

This link is not visible when viewing the page with K-Meleon. I have confirmed that Javascript is enabled in Preferences. Is there a setting somewhere in K-Meleon that would allow these types of links to be displayed?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Page rendering vs. Firefox & IE
Posted by: Terry
Date: June 11, 2008 01:10PM

You could try spoofing the page. Tools-User Agent-Firefox 2.0 . This usually works.

Date: June 11, 2008 01:21PM

I tried that. No change when spoofed to Firefox or MSIE.

Posted by: guenter
Date: June 11, 2008 01:56PM

With IE 8b, Firefox 2.0.0.14 and K-Meleon 1.1.5de-DE for me there is no such "zoom box" or link below the shirt.

Note that IE 8 will be standard compliant. Firefox 2 and K-Meleon share the same 1.8.x engine and will render the same page identically - (firefox 3 and K-Meleon 1.5 will probably share the 1.9.x GRE).

If You check JavaScript console You will notice that the page is (as) full of errors (as this K-Meleon home page grinning smiley ). So maybe IE 5-7 show something.

p.s. You best do not spoof IE since it speaks a different (its own, not standard compliant) JavaScript dialect and has other features that are not shared by K-Meleon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2008 02:01PM by guenter.

Posted by: Terry
Date: June 11, 2008 02:08PM

I am using the 1.5b2 K-M spoofing with Firefox 2.0. When I go to the page, I see a shirt and underneath it I see a tag that says Zoom/View Larger. I am presuming that these words are what you don't see? Clicking on these words brings up a flash application in a window, Using Firefox and IE 7, the page renders exactly the same as K-M 1.5b2

Posted by: JamesD
Date: June 11, 2008 03:14PM

I am using the 1.5b2 with the default user agent. I opened a tab to see the LLbean page. I did not see the link for a larger view. I went back to my first tab, this page, to re-read the original post. I then went back to the tab with LLbean shirt and the link for a larger page was showing. If I close the tab and re-open the link shows, but that may be from cache. I will do some more testing.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: June 11, 2008 03:30PM

I cannot duplicate what I said in previous post. I cleared memory and disk cache and closed KM. I restarted KM and went to this post. I then opened the LLbeam site in a new tab. The larger image link did show. It was the last thing to show up on the page. Perhaps I did not wait long enough on the first try. I am using 1.5beta2 on Win XP and Javascript is enabled.

@ BrianG

Which version of K-Meleon are you using and on what operating system?

Posted by: kko
Date: June 11, 2008 04:25PM

This page performs a check whether Flash is available or not. The link is only shown when Flash is available. Either disable Flashblock (remove the check mark in front of Edit > Privacy > Block Flash) and reload the page or start the blocked test applet at the very bottom of the page (I had to click it twice).

(The Flash plugin must be loaded in K-Meleon of course.)

Date: June 11, 2008 11:52PM

Just confirmed that disabling Flashblock allows the page to function the same as it does under Firefox 2.0.0.13 and IE6. No Flashblock settings available at Edit > Privacy > Block Flash though. Had to go to Advanced Preferences > Page Display > Content Filters to turn it off (required a restart). Also, I didn't see any references to blocked applets at the bottom of the page. Is that a v1.5 feature? I'm running K-Meleon 1.1.5 on XP Pro SP2.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.