General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
2 questions
Posted by: Panzer
Date: June 13, 2008 10:49AM

1. How can use 1 profile on different comps? When I used some other comp and try to use my profile, it showed me a message: can't load profile, because it is already in use. So I had to make another profile. At the end, I had 3 profiles and K-meleon on my USB balooned to over 100 MB. Recently I installed it again and set my profile. On another comp, now it shows only default profile and my profile is gone. When i go to that comp where I set my profile, my profile shows up.

Can anybody help me? I really hate to do set K-meleon bookmarks and settings on every comp I am using ...

2. Why can't i upload files on megaupload.com? FF doesn't work either and my friend told me you can't download file with Opera. With IE it works fine. Is this browser related problem or page problem?

Thanx for answers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2 questions
Posted by: guenter
Date: June 13, 2008 03:35PM

Panzer
USB balooned to over 100 MB

1.) There is a K-Meleon version for USB / called Pocket K-Meleon. That will use the same profile on any drive letter.

1.b) Transferring profile specific personal info from old Profiles to a new Portable by hand. The files that store specific info are: *.s (=passwords, copy paste info into new *.s file if no masterpass was set - add the 3 *.db files to new profile if masterpass is set). bookmarks.html and Opera..bokmarks, cookies.txt. history.dat the cache files/folders can be copied. MRU list is in prefs.js and can be salvaged by copy/paste. Settings can be slavaged from prefs.js but normally it is easier to redo them. Extensions are best reinstalled in the new environment.

2.) If other Gecko browses cannot upload there - it is normally page related.

IE 5-7are not standard complient, speak another Jvascript dialect and handle activeX components.

You can work around the later when You allow the specific activeX component - but even if it was an activeX I would not know which is involved on that page.

Date: June 16, 2008 06:11PM

Bad. But thanx anyway.

Date: June 16, 2008 06:12PM

I am going to stick with standard version of K-meleon ...

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: June 21, 2008 12:28AM

About megaupload, I just uploaded a file now and it works. 0 problems. I have a free account if that helps in any way. Maybe you have problems with noscript and other similar plugins (because I don't use them).

About the profiles and the portability there is an "issue" that is not and issue but a feature to locate profiles and plugins. The files located at profiles folder are pluginreg.dat y registry.dat. Inside the first there is a list with paths of plugins for the CURRENT computer. Inside the registry.dat is the path to the profile in the CURRENT computer and other info.

There is not a real workaround. I have a workaround for myself, and I ever used, and it's to cleanup, because you need to delete those files, the profiles folder. Then execute k-meleon, close it (you don't need to do anything else). Then take your backup of your profile and select all files inside and copy them to the new default profile folder.

Note: this wasn't this easy in the previous versions because in the prefs.js there were entries with full paths instead relative that should be modified. Now there is not such problem.

Also you have to understand that you NEED to have profile.ini in the root folder of k-meleon to tell it to create folders on its folder with this content:
[Profile]
path=Profiles
isRelative=1

Also, I haven't tested if having more than one profile, each one for each computer would work, but anyway there would be the problem with the pluginreg.dat because couldn't be located the plugins from one to other computer. For registry.dat, in theory there shouldn't be problems but as I haven't tested I have no idea.

Posted by: Newbie Guy
Date: July 10, 2008 02:20PM

@ JohnHell. Okay I am sure I sound very much like a novice because I am. So if you
do not mind John, would you please give those above instructions in very, very
precise details. I tried before posting this several methods which I thought you
were referring to but I did not succeed. All I really care about is transferring
passwords to other computers although transferring complete profiles would be
great. I also tried this *.s for passwords copying to another computer and got no
passwords. So I am sure I goofed up. Can these methods also be used from one
K-Meleon version to another?

Date: July 10, 2008 04:28PM

One thing I want to tell before start. I don't have passwords stored, but a certificate, but for me, the cert is exported without problems so may be the same with passwords.

The explanation is the simplest test to reproduce:

Ok, lets imagine we have k-meleon installed on "C:\program files\k-meleon" folder.

Make a copy of that folder so you now have a new folder under program files, called "copy of K-meleon".

Ok, as you are newbie, probably you DON'T have the profile inside that dir but under documents and settings, right? What to do now? Create a text file (right click inside the new folder we created) and rename it to profile.ini. The file must be in the root of that folder, that means that you are inside the folder and can see all other files and folders of k-meleon. There is to be placed the profile.ini file.

After that, edit that file with notepad, and copy or write exactly like this:
[Profile]
path=Profiles
isRelative=1

This will force k-meleon to create the profile for the "new k-meleon" inside the folder "copy of k-meleon" we just created. It will create a new folder inside it called "Profiles".

Ok, now, we run our NEW k-meleon, so we check that we are in the "copy of k-meleon" folder and run k-meleon.exe file. It will open KM with default settings. After this (and accept plugins request if exists), we close it.

Now, we go to the folder of the profiles of our old k-meleon, so we need to go to c:\documents and settings[i]yourwindowsusername[/i]\. As I don't know how english systems store data here, we need to find the folder k-meleon inside here.

When we locate it, we open it and we'll find the profiles of our old k-meleon. We go to the folder and open the default folder. We found another folder .slt. We open it.

Ok, we now select all files inside the .slt folder and copy them.

We return to our "copy of k-meleon folder", we'll see the folder "Profiles", we open and we'll see another called "default", we open, we'll see another folder .slt, we open it.

Now, inside the folder "c:\program files\k-meleon\profiles\default\XXXXXXX.slt" we paste the files we copied from "c:\documents and settings[i]yourwindowsusername[/i][i]whatever[/i]\k-meleon\profiles\default\XXXXXX.slt"

Now, we go back to our "copy of k-meleon" folder and we run k-meleon.exe and voila, our new k-meleon is an exact copy of out previous k-meleon.

One final note: I assume that you didn't give any special name to your profile folder, if you did, you won't find the "k-meleon\default\xxxxx.slt" folder. You'll find instead "k-meleon[i]yourprofilename[/i]\xxxxx.slt".

Also take special care for italic text above. That means that differs from one computer to another.

DO EXACTLY THE SAME TO REPLICATE TO ANOTHER COMPUTER Folders and others will change but it is exactly the same procedure. It might differ if you make copies from out new folder "copy of k-meleon" as our old profiles won't be at "documents and settings blab bla bla". Will be inside the Profiles folder in the k-meleon folder. And to duplicate this folder ("copy of k-meleon") you'll have to delete too all the contents of the Profiles folder in the new copy before start

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2008 04:51PM by JohnHell.

Date: July 10, 2008 08:10PM

UPDATE: tested, the passwords and certs are successfully ported with this method

Posted by: ndebord
Date: July 10, 2008 09:46PM

John,

I do something similar. I allow KM to install and do the profile in KM's program folder. I then hex edit the ???????.slt file to a name with the same amount of characters. I then import my bookmarks, macros, external programs (using JuJu's Tools folder) and set it all up the way I want it. I then zip it up and use it on any computer that has a c:\program files where I can put a K-Meleon folder. This, of course, is not for use on an external drive.

N

Date: July 10, 2008 10:16PM

ndebord
[... ndebord method ...]I then zip it up and use it on any computer that has a c:\program files where I can put a K-Meleon folder. This, of course, is not for use on an external drive.

Ok, we also need to say that if you have the profile in the same K-meleon directory, usually, except for, maybe, some plugins, it will work without any trouble placing k-meleon in another computer but in the same location (lets say c:\program files\k-meleon). That's for sure.

But as you say at the end, with your method, with my own, there is "no way" to make it work on a external drive because the variables without control involved. Except for those portable versions as the Jujuland one.

I think we both explained the "easy way" smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2008 10:18PM by JohnHell.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.