General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Javascript enabled, but no working
Posted by: TomChipz
Date: June 14, 2008 03:06PM

When, for example, I go to Facebook, it reports that Javascript is disabled, but it is not at all. I have no idea where to even begin with this. Help would be very appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Javascript enabled, but no working
Posted by: guenter
Date: June 14, 2008 04:43PM

View > Toolbars >activate Privacy Bar. The Privacy Bar contains an icon that always tells You whether JavaScript is activated. You can toggle JavaScrpt with F7.

JavaScript can be influenced via Edit > Preferences, Advanced Preferences and Tools > Privacy...

You can check whether a page has script errors. That is done via JavaScript Console (Error Console in some languages, bottom of Tools menu).

Some years ago some K-Meleon version (0.7... ?) had the bug that they informed pages they cannot handle JavaScript. If Your K-Meleon is that old update to 1.1.5.smiling smiley PPL here need: k-meleon version and the specific page involved in Your problem to help or counsel. I could not replicate Your problem on de.facebook.com with K-Meleon 1.1.5de-DE.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2008 04:46PM by guenter.

Date: June 14, 2008 06:22PM

This problem exists on 1.1.5en-US on all pages with Javascript content. I checked out what you said and javascript was on/had no errors. I forgot to mention that my computer crashed while K-meleon was on (I installed a driver that caused me to blue screen, so I got rid of it) and now this problem exists, so I think it came from this. Is there a way to either migrate groups (if possible, but not necessary) and bookmarks to a new installation (extensions I can reinstall, but bookmarks would be a pain to move) or to somehow find what is wrong and fix it?

Date: June 14, 2008 06:23PM

And as a note, everything is in the default directories.

Posted by: guenter
Date: June 14, 2008 07:45PM

A new install will/can normally use the same Profile again and I assume that the files responsible for the execution of JavaScript are damaged and they are in the install folder. Another possibilty is that prefs.js does not accept the change to activate JavaScript. You would have to create a new Profile to repair the later.

A new install of K-Meleon will overwrite and repair the files.
You can also choose another install folder name and install another k-meleon.

By default K-Meleon Profiles Folder is in Apdata / K-Meleon.
The same system as with any Mozilla based browser.

Bookmarks are the smallest problem - they are in a file. bookmarks.html can be reused at any place. The Profile folder contains Your current bookmarks.html. Just backup the file to a save location.

Groups are AFAIK in prefs.js. If the file is not damaged and responsible for Your current problem it will keep the groups because it is also in the Profiles folder. But it can not be saved and used in a different place like bookmarks.html.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.