General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
When downloading...
Posted by: Anonymous
Date: June 19, 2008 08:24AM

I was wondering why in K-Meleon when you download a file, you can only save or cancel it, instead of open/run. The option is there but is greyed out.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: When downloading...
Posted by: guenter
Date: June 19, 2008 09:34AM

Probably is a security feature that the devs want.

You could open a dangerous file or a script could do if there was a fault in the implementation. Greetings to CA from DE

Posted by: Anonymous
Date: June 19, 2008 11:52AM

I never thought about that. It explains why IE includes such a feature and another reason to continue using K-M in its place smiling smiley Danke.

Posted by: desga2
Date: June 19, 2008 12:13PM

Open button is disable in download dialog for security reason. This button is enable to known formats as zip or pdf and disable to exe files (for example).

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: guenter
Date: June 19, 2008 05:04PM

desga2 post reminded me of something I had forgotten sad smiley It is not static but defined in mimeTypes.rdf.

A user can actually define exe as a extension that the browser is allowed to open via a standard application (execute function of windows).

While You can only alter existing keys with the Mimtypes edit function in Advanced Preferences - You can add a new key with the Mimetypes Editor adapted and maintained for K-Meleon use by various PPL. The problem is that the MimeTypes Editor creates a mimeTypes.rdf that are not always readable to the easier to use editor in Advanced Preferences :mad:

greetings to CA & ES from DE

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2008 05:05PM by guenter.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.