General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
MFC42.dll Problem solved!
Posted by: Stu
Date: February 16, 2003 07:52AM

When you use the windows library update download (SPEU.exe) you are not actually replacing the dll file, because you cannot replace a file that is in use. Windows uses MFC42.dll when it is running, therefore you must go into DOS mode to install it properly.

Step 1 - go to the following site and download mfc42.dll version 6.00.8665.0

http://users3.ev1.net/~srudenko/dll/mfc42.dll

save the file to C:\ drive (not in a folder. This just makes it easier)

Step 2 - Restart in DOS mode

Step 3 - At the prompt (C:\) type the following:

copy mfc42.dll C:\windows\system

You will get a message that is asking if you want to overwrite the existing version of the MFC42.dll file. Hit Y for yes. You have now installed the updated version of MFC42.dll.

Step 4 - At the prompt (C:\) type exit. This will restart windows.

Double click on your K-Meleon Icon. It should work now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MFC42.dll Problem solved!
Posted by: Nick
Date: February 16, 2003 09:51AM

To save all the faffing about, just download the M$ patch.

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?f=1&i=7871&t=7824

My last post at the end of the thread.

Nick

Date: February 16, 2003 04:49PM

Sorry Nick. It seems apparent that you don't know what you are talking about.

The patch does not work on all systems (especially if you are running Windows 98, any version). Mine was one of them.
So if you are still having the same problem after running the patch (and most of you will), do what I have indicated above.

Posted by: MonkeeSage
Date: February 16, 2003 05:19PM

Stu:

Actually, Nick has provided several fixes in the past to the boards that have worked very well. I'm not sure about this issue because I'm not urnning an affected platform, but I do know that Microsoft Installer v4 (which runs on 98 if you go to the Windows Update site) runs on 98. And MSI can write new system files to a temporary folder (e.g., %systemroot%/~jdhfuyfhdgsks/ ), write a reg string, and then on next start up it will copy the new files from the temp folder to the system's root directory (or whatever path it has specified), before it loads any system devices. Plus the page Nick linked to is a WINDOWS98 DOWNLOAD SITE from MS. So why in the world wouldn't it apply to Windows98????!?

This is right what it says in its support section:

"MORE INFORMATION
The following list contains all of the files that will be included in the Microsoft Libraries Update.

Filename Version Description
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Msvcrt.dll 6.00.8337 Visual C++ run-time, no dependencies.

Oleaut32.dll 2.30.4265 Part of the OLE-AUT fileset that
complements Microsoft Foundation Classes
(MFC) and Visual Basic run-time.

Olepro32.dll 5.00.4265 Part of OLE-AUT fileset that complements
MFC and Visual Basic run-time.

Asycfilt.dll 2.30.4265 Part of OLE-AUT fileset that complements

Stdole2.tlb 2.30.4265 Part of OLE-AUT fileset that complements

Mfc42.dll 6.00.8267 Microsoft Foundation Class (MFC),
dependent on Msvcrt.dll, ComCtl32.dll, and
OLE-AUT files.

Mfc42u.dll 6.00.8267 MFC Unicode only for the Windows NT
Platform.

Regsvr32.exe For registration purposes only. For
Mfc42.dll and Oleaut32.dll.

RegTlib.exe For .tlb registration for stdole2.tlb."

Did MS and Nick conspire together to make us believe that Windows98 will get an updated (included registered) Mfc42.dll by installing that update?? Or mabye you just spoke too soon...?

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: February 16, 2003 05:23PM

Sorry Nick. It seems apparent that you don't know what you are talking about.

Ummm, don't I?. It seems M$ don't know what they are talking about if that isn't the 'latest' patch available - the file you required is for visual studio with the service packs... so M$ are not updating (nor supporting) '98 no more.

I didn't know, nor could check, cos I don't run a machine with 5 year old software on it.

Nick

Date: February 16, 2003 11:05PM

I don't mean to sound condescending, but have either of you even bothered to read the other notes left at the forum regarding this DLL issue? I'm assuming you have not because if you had you would see that there are some people who have had the same problem. After they ran the patch, they continued to have the same error message coming up. It's too bad that you are not open-minded enough to have just let others try this solution, rather than showing off by spouting all of your useless knowledge. Not everyone has quite as deep an understanding of computers as the two of you do. Keeping it simple may actually help some of the others that are still having this problem.

All you have to do is enter MFC42.dll in the forum search and you will see that its no just a problem solved by running the patch.

If you doubt me, then try to paste a copy of the MFC42.dll file in the sytem folder and see what happens. This is why, in some cases, it has to be done in DOS.

Even check the version of the MFC42.dll file you have now. Run the patch and go check the version when you have completed this. It will be the same version. You cannot replace a Dynamic Link Library (DLL) while it is being used by Windows.

And Nick, yes I run a lot of older software. I don't need anything newer. The software that I run works fine for me. And besides that, I don't sit infront of computer for 12 hours a day ignoring the fact that my best friend is my hand.
My 10 year old has more couth then you, and more of a life.

Date: February 16, 2003 11:19PM

<i> And Nick, yes I run a lot of older software. I don't need anything newer. The software that I run works fine for me. And besides that, I don't sit infront of computer for 12 hours a day ignoring the fact that my best friend is my hand.
My 10 year old has more couth then you, and more of a life.</i>

Don't make silly statements.

If it wasn't for 'people sitting in front of a computer' for 12 hours a day (or even 2 years worth re Richard Stallman making the first open source C compiler) then you would have nothing.

My latest input to the Internet world of things:

http://www.linicks.net/kq.txt

All I done was post the link to M$'s site with the latest (supposedly Windows98) files. Not my fault if they don't work - and didn't know. Never had no feedback except your's which was rather girlish.

No big deal.

Nick

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.