Adding a search engine.
Posted by: caktus
Date: August 12, 2008 07:31PM

How do I add a search engine to KM 1.5a1?
The search engine I want to add is http://www.cuil.com/
I have also tried adding it as "http://www.cuil.com/search?q="; w/o the quotes of course. But all I get is Cuil's custom "Page not found."

Thanks.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2008 07:32PM by caktus.

Re: Adding a search engine.
Posted by: JujuLand
Date: August 12, 2008 08:12PM

@Charlie,

To find the string necessary, I have search a string since the page, and I have disconnected quickly, to have time to read the URL, it's the string you give

http://www.cuil.com/search?q=une+chaine+a+la+con+pour+qu+il+prenne+pas+mal+de+temps

so 'http://www.cuil.com/search?q='; is correct

I'll try if with search system it works

[edit]

I have added cuil to the search engine, and I have try it.

I have search this

un truc à la con

and it works smiling smiley

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2008 08:16PM by JujuLand.

Date: August 13, 2008 08:58PM

Thank you JujuLand for responding.

Apparently I am doing something wrong. In Finding web sights > Web search, Cuil is listed. At the bottom is
"Note: This feature requires the macro extension" but I think perhaps I do not understand what this means.

Cuil is also listed in Multi-search and Web search.

But when I enter a query in the address bar, right click the search button and select Cuil I still get Cuils custom "Page not found". However, when I select "Metasearch" Cuil as with all the other search engines works properly.

Charlie

Posted by: desga2
Date: August 14, 2008 12:37AM

@ caktus:
Read this thread, to gvgerman works fine.

caktus
"Note: This feature requires the macro extension" but I think perhaps I do not understand what this means.
This is refference to Macros plugin (macros.dll) must be enabled.

I tried and worked in 1.5 final release: http://www.cuil.com/search?q=

But you are using 1.5a1, this can be the problem, remmember that you are using a ALPHA version it can have errors/problems similars to this.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2008 12:54AM by desga2.

Date: August 14, 2008 06:03AM

Desga2
[www.cuil.com]

Thanks. The post at the link you provided suggested do not include the "%s" which I had not included in the first place. But after reading the post I decided to add the "%s" and it did work. Now I am a happy surfer smiling smiley

BTW, I have not yet upgraded to K-Meleon 1.5.0 (2008-08-08).
I wanted to wait until any bugs have been discovered and worked out. Also, I am very happy with the Alpha as it does not seem to present any problems that effect me.

Does K-Meleon 1.5.0 (2008-08-08) render web pages faster the Alpha?

Can I move my profile and settings to K-Meleon 1.5.0 (2008-08-08)? Or would I have to start all over from scratch?

Thanks.

Charlie

Date: August 14, 2008 05:41PM

caktus
Thanks. The post at the link you provided suggested do not include the "%s" which I had not included in the first place. But after reading the post I decided to add the "%s" and it did work.

In 1.5 final release works without "%s" at the end of url.
caktus
Does K-Meleon 1.5.0 (2008-08-08) render web pages faster the Alpha?

Not really, render web page speed is the same. But 1.5 fixed a lot of bugs that exist in 1.5a1.

caktus
Can I move my profile and settings to K-Meleon 1.5.0 (2008-08-08)? Or would I have to start all over from scratch?

I recommended you start migrated to 1.5 final release. I think that 1.5a1 included the old layer plugin yet, but in 1.5 final release layers plugin is history because all is in real tabs. This can cause some problems with macros that needed update it.

The better is start with a new 1.5 final release install in a new folder and copy in this new instalation your old profile and macros to test and fix macros or skins that need updates. With this way you can sure that no lost any data or configuration before. (This guarantee to you a backup)

But installation over the previous should work well.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: August 14, 2008 11:30PM

Thank you, desga2.

I'll go ahead and update to the 1.5 final release.

Charlie

Date: August 15, 2008 03:08AM

I've installed 1.5.0. I tried to copy my profile from 1.5a1 to 1.5.0 but I made a mess so I reinstalled 1.5.0 and customize starting from scratch. Then I found that 1.5.0 has an option in Preferences to remove the buttons from the Toolbar. :O
But I cannot remove the Stop button with the red X on the toolbar. How do I remove the Stop button from the Toolbar?

Thank you.

Charlie

Posted by: JamesD
Date: August 15, 2008 11:44AM

@caktus

I think that if you edit toolbar.cfg in your skin file and comment out the following lines it will not show the stop button.

Stop{
	ID_NAV_STOP
	Stop loading this page
	toolhot.bmp[2]
	toolcold.bmp[2]
	tooldead.bmp[2]
	}

Date: August 15, 2008 02:42PM

JamesD
I think that if you edit toolbar.cfg in your skin file and comment out the following lines it will not show the stop button.

Stop{
ID_NAV_STOP
Stop loading this page
toolhot.bmp[2]
toolcold.bmp[2]
tooldead.bmp[2]
}

The lines in my Toolbars.cfg of KM 1.5.0 after commenting out was as

fallows:

#Stop{
#ID_NAV_STOP
#Stop loading this page
#mainbarhot.bmp[2]
#mainbarcold.bmp[2]
#mainbardead.bmp[2]
#}

I remove this ard replaced it with

#Stop{
# ID_NAV_STOP
# Stop loading this page
# toolhot.bmp[2]
# toolcold.bmp[2]
# tooldead.bmp[2]
# }

as suggested. but after saving it and restarting KM1.5.0, the Stop

button is still present.

Charlie

Date: August 15, 2008 05:33PM

caktus
Then I found that 1.5.0 has an option in Preferences to remove the buttons from the Toolbar.

What option? This option not exist in Preferences. The most similar is in menu: View -> Toolbars -> Main Bar (and uncheck it, but this hide all main toolbar that included stop button)

What skin are you using?

Changes in toolbars.cfg file need restart K-Meleon to changes take effect.
The JamesD suggestion it's the same that you had do. Comment the button with a # at begining of each button line in toolbars.cfg file.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: August 19, 2008 10:13PM

desga2
What option?.....

Sorry I didn't post back sooner but I 've been out of town.

The Option I was refering to is at Edit > Preferences > General tab > GUI Appearance > "Display menu icons." I guess I was mistaken in thinking the Stop button was a menu icon. I just tried this option but it didn't do anything, I guess because the Menu icons have been commented out in Toolbars.cfg. But I cannot remove the Stop button from the Tab bar. The Stop button doesn't even work, I guess because it too is commented out. I have commented it out as fallows:

#Stop{
# ID_NAV_STOP
# Stop loading this page
# toolhot.bmp[2]
# toolcold.bmp[2]
# tooldead.bmp[2]
# }

Having the Stop button on the Tab bar is not a big problem but it is unnecessarily taking up real estate as I can use the Esc key much fast that klicking on Stop.

I am using the regular Phoenity skin. Also, I am conpletely closing and restarting KM after each change I make.

Charlie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2008 10:16PM by caktus.

Date: August 20, 2008 04:05AM

Is it me, or is it KM? Who knows?!

Last Friday when I last used the computer, and KM1.5.0, as you know, I could not get rid of the Stop button. Well, today Rename-add was missing from Favorites menu and the Context menu. I went to Toolbars.cfg and changed the Stop button entries as mentioned above: i.e.
#Stop{
# ID_NAV_STOP
# Stop loading this page
# toolhot.bmp[2]
# toolcold.bmp[2]
# tooldead.bmp[2]
# }

Then for some reason the Favorites menu button returned to the Toolbar. I then went to Toolbars.cfg and commeted out a few lines of the Favorites entries, i.e.

%ifplugin favorites
Favorites{
favorites(Edit)|F&avorites
Explore Favorites. Right-click to view Favorites menu.
# mainbarhot.bmp[5]
# mainbarcold.bmp[5]
# mainbarcold.bmp[5]
# }
%endif

Then the Favorites menu button was removed and Rename-Add had returned to the Favorites and Context menus. But the Rename-Add option is not availble when I open previously created web page shortcuts.

I know, this is a big mess. :s Appearantly I've got something really messed up. I think probably the best thing I can do at this point is to reinstall KM 1.5.0 and start all over, so I'll do that and try to be more careful this time while custmizing. sad smiley

Charlie

Date: August 21, 2008 12:01PM

I'm don't know what are you doing or what are you like doing but Menu icons are icons at left in menu items not toolbar icons.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: August 21, 2008 09:00PM

desga2
don't know what are you doing

Appearantly neither did I. I guess it was a case of "garbage in = garbage out." Turns out starting over WAS the best thing I could do. This time I got it customized the way I want it.

I am not sure just what the differece is between 1.5a1 and 1.5.0en-US, but they both seem very stable. 1.5.0en-US does not seem as fast as 1.5a1, but I assume 1.5.0 will get faster as the cashes build. I was afraid I might create another mess if I tried to export/import the cashes again.

smiling smiley

Charlie

Posted by: scroogled
Date: August 21, 2008 10:24PM

I am unable to add www.scroogle.org as a search engine.

Date: August 22, 2008 04:30AM

scroogled
unable to add www.scroogle.org as a search engine.

I didn't even know an secure search engine even existed. Good to know. Just tried about every way I could figure to add it to KM's list of search engines, but no luck. Maybe one of the Dev's will take a crack at it. If they work it out I hope they give us a heads-up about it. I know I'll be keeping an eye out. The only way I could link to it was the old fashioned way, with a shortcut.

Charlie

Posted by: sliderule
Date: August 22, 2008 04:42AM

About Scroogle . . . please see this link . . . the directions are clear . . . at least in my opinion.

Set Up Scroogle

Thanks, kko.

Sliderule

Date: August 22, 2008 05:20AM

sliderule
the directions are clear

Yes, but the SSL is lost. Add the SSL identifier and all I get is:
The connection was refused when attempting to contact www.scroogle.org.

As I see it, the only uniqness to scroogle.com is the SSL. I can create a shortcut to the SSL search page. But searching from KM defeats the SSL feature.

Charlie

Posted by: bill
Date: August 23, 2008 01:27AM

If you are good at spelling, no problem. Using google.com, if you misspell a word, slightly, google will show results with the misspelled word and show you the correct spelling. Scroogle.org uses google.com but scroogle.org will not show you the correct spelling of a word if you misspell the word. The SSL is nice to use.

Date: August 23, 2008 03:35PM

you misspell a word, slightly, google will show results with the misspelled word
you misspell a word, slightly, google will show results with the misspelled word

Not necessarily. Sometimes when Google asks"Did you mean......" when the spelling is correct and Google is just checking to be sure. But often it is very helpful.

Charlie

mJmTPixWPs
Posted by: mikle
Date: August 26, 2008 11:23AM

AkLIFU sdlfRnd6M2HvO4

Posted by: oliviaharis
Date: August 29, 2008 11:30AM

I personally would not look for an 'Add Url' on google or msn... I would recommend posting your blog URL on blog directories, on your own web site, friends web sites, myspace, etc... you'll be better off in the long run because the search engines will find you organically and you will have started to build a nice little linking strategy for yourself.
--------------------
oliviaharis
consumer generated media

Posted by: Zoohooter
Date: September 01, 2008 08:43PM

@Jujuland

I'm trying to add this search engine, I've tried following everything that is suggested here but it doesn't seem to work, I keep getting a not found message. :-(

http://www.scroogle.org/scraper.html

Is the html causing the problem???

Posted by: Zoohooter
Date: September 01, 2008 09:24PM

Sorry Disregard, should have read the entire thread :-(

kHMEEbLQrDkJYeGqw
Posted by: bobby
Date: September 12, 2008 11:33AM

Cindy McCain's battle against prescription drug addiction has been part of her public speaking points for years, but a deeper investigation reveals the far-reaching consequences of her actions washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/11/AR2008091103928.html

dISNuNeQPg
Posted by: mona
Date: September 12, 2008 11:33AM

Candidates Promise National-Service Initiatives washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/11/AR2008091103788.html

UtrCNCdiEVCd
Posted by: john
Date: September 12, 2008 11:34AM

Palin Links Iraq & 9/11 | McCain: Link Is 'Naive' voices.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/09/11/palin_endorses_idea_mccain_cal.html

mGcyjiKFye
Posted by: jane
Date: September 12, 2008 04:10PM

Federal Judge Limits Access to Cellphone Data washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/11/AR2008091103292.html

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.