Default Browser - Conflict
Posted by: crabboy
Date: August 15, 2008 10:23AM

I've done searches on this and tried everything suggested (including the instructions on the troubleshooting page) - but I cannot get Kmeleon 1.5 to act as the default browser. I also have Seamonkey and Firefox 3, also gecko-based browsers. Could a conflict exist? Any other suggestions? I had some problem with 1.1.2, but managed to get it to work.

Re: Default Browser - Conflict
Posted by: guenter
Date: August 15, 2008 11:23AM

The conflict exists when registry is damaged. You can try with tools such as registry cleaners.

Another good try: make IE default and after that make K-Meleon default. Protocols that are not handled by k-meleon after that must be set via right-click system functions to open this with default application = K-Meleon (You do this with local file of this Mimetype - can be a renamed file with different type (like .txt renamed to .shtml or .html).

Posted by: disrupted(unlogged)
Date: August 15, 2008 12:14PM
Date: August 15, 2008 10:37PM

I'm afraid that registry cleaners got me into this mess in the first place. I solved this problem in my previous version of Kmeleon by setting Maxthon2 as the default browser then uninstalling Maxthon. No good this time.
Under "file types" in Widows Explorer. URL:HTTP and URL:HTTPS are not listed at all. I created two new "extensions" and associated them with URL:HTTP and URL:HTTPS. The new "extensions" say that they are opened by kmeleon, but when I uncheck "use DDE", the box is checked again as soon as I close. I reinstalled Maxthon2 and can get links to open automatically there. The reason I suspect some kind of conflict is that I cannot get Seamonkey to be the default browser for links, either.

Date: August 15, 2008 10:38PM

Unfortunately, no. I have XP. Anything similar for XP?

Posted by: disrupted(unlogged)
Date: August 15, 2008 11:55PM

this is very odd, and the only reason i can think of for not registering properly is that the class id for URL has been altered or removed.

anyway, i uploaded the registry keys that should fix that problem and make kmeleon default handler, i assumed you installed in default location so i edited the keys accordingly to this path:
c:\program files\k-meleon\k-meleon.exe

if you have installed to another path; either edit the keys to your path or merge them and modify the path from folder options>file types

i suggest you delete all the url values that you have manually created before merging the registry keys in fear they might cause any conflict

the keys are self-explanatory to what they register:

save the keys to your computer(right click, save link target as..) and merge them.

for html,htm,,shtm,shtml,xht,xhtml and rdf file types; you can easily register them with k-meleon or in folder options without any problems.
goodluck.

Date: August 16, 2008 07:45AM

Thanx. I will try that and get back with results.

Date: August 17, 2008 12:41AM

Tried disrupted's suggestions. No effect. Went back to file types to find HTTP and HTTPS listed (they weren't before). Removed all references to Maxthon. Links now open in K-Meleon. At first every link opened a new window, but I found the setting in Preferences that fixed that.
I really like 1.5, but it seems to have a steeper learning curve than previous versions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2008 12:46AM by crabboy.

Posted by: ttccdr
Date: July 16, 2009 01:14PM

Open a Windows Explorer window then Tools - Folder Options - Scroll down to find URL hypertext transfer protocol and select it. Then click Advanced and select the open line then paste in the command line "C:\Program Files\K-Meleon\k-meleon.exe" "%" (change this as necessary to suit where you've got K-Meleon installed). Click ok and ok and back right out. Do the same again for the hypertext transfer protocol with privacy line. You should then find all's well. Good luck.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.