General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
address bar question
Posted by: slystone
Date: August 18, 2008 04:39PM

I just started using K-Meleon late yesterday and I can see alot of foxfire in it, but I have two questions. One how do stop searches and anything I do ending up in the address bar. All I want in the addrs bar is urls. Is it like foxfire that I'm going to put in about:config and then change a string? I'm getting a new computer and I need to know the basics of K-Meleon.

Second question, Yea I know what your thinking, but I can't find it, so how do I put in my home page. I read faq, users guide, and looked in here. Thanks it looks like it's pretty fast and is a default browser.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: address bar question
Posted by: desga2
Date: August 18, 2008 05:18PM

I don't understant that you like says in one. Can you explain it?

About two: Right click over Home toolbar button and "Make this page your Home page"
or in menus View -> Home.

Or in Edit -> Preferences (or press F2 key) -> Browsing (section) -> General (tab)

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: disrupted(unlogged)
Date: August 18, 2008 05:24PM

for your first enquiry:
go to edit> preferences and select browsing, then select finding websites
located keyword autosearch and uncheck : when a typed URL fails to load...

for your second question:
just like desgas said : under browing, general ..load home page and in the homepage buffer, enter the address for your desired website.

Date: August 18, 2008 05:36PM

For the first question I went to edit, preferences,to when a typed url fails to load, unchecked it, used a bookmark it's put it in the address bar, loggin in on homepage same, I know firefox 3.0 had the same problem and there is a string that needs to be entered. I don't think it would work with K-Meleon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2008 06:06PM by slystone.

Date: August 18, 2008 08:35PM

This looks like the problems I had getting answers with foxfire. I have tried google k-meleaon sites, another forum, and a progrma that uses tech people to talk to you one on one. What I see is this, foxfire will be uninstaled today because of lack of answers to two questions, K-Meleon if nothing changes will be uninstalled because of the same. I want this browser, it's fast, stable and seems good. I can not wait because I recieved a new computer and I need to install thw web browsers. I'm not installing a browser that is going to sit on my desk top. I'll be surfing slower.

Date: August 18, 2008 08:45PM

slystone, i'd really like to help you but i'm afraid; i didn't understand your problem or what exactly you're trying to do.

if you want to edit the homepage manually, click on edit> configuration> browser configuration and locate this entry:
browser.startup.homepage
double click on it and enter the address for your wanted homepage

if you want to launch certain websites using keyboard shortcuts, try this:
edit> preferences> browsing> hotlinks
under hotlinks you can enter web addresses that kmeleon will navigate to when shortcuts are entered(ctrl+1 etc)

if that's not what you're after, can you please explain in more details what is it you're trying to do.. if it's related to search settings or the homepage, i'm positive it's doable in k-meleon

Date: August 18, 2008 09:29PM

Ok listen up, browsers like IE, Opera, Avant, Maxthon allow you to put over twenty of your top urls in the address bar. They stay in there for you to use over and over again. K-meleon puts in the address bar every search that you doeven it it's not on the browser, everyplace you go, every login are all put into the addressbar. That pushes out the urls that you put in. I loaed in twenty urls and not one of them is in there. Instead there is a histroy of what I did today by the sites that are there. I want the address bar to just keep the urls that I enter and that's that. I can't use it when it has sites that I visited in the morning, or things that I did during the day. The only thing that does not change is the bookmarks. I want to make the url bar like foxfres 2.0 bar. It's only a change of settings. If I didn't make any sense than this will be uninstalled like foxfire because I can't get a answer. And it's more of a hasstle than it's worth. I saw a post that said the same thing and that guy never got a answer. Where you go or what you do can be in history, not in the address bar

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2008 10:04PM by slystone.

Date: August 18, 2008 10:07PM

actually, this is quite easy in k-meleon

go to edit> preferences> browsing> history
under URL bar history, check the option:
keep a list of " enter 20" in the buffer

under determine what locations should be added..
select radio button: typed urls only

i think that's exactly what you want.. though i'm not sure what firefox 2.0 bar does.

if you want to auto-clear the urlbar history, do this:
tools menu> privacy> clear data> clear automatically

under clear automatically options:
addressbar history: select clear on shutdown.

hope this helps..

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.