General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Submitting a skin question
Posted by: reeko124
Date: August 22, 2008 02:42PM

I made a skin for 1.5. It is my first skin. Before submitting it I wanted to know if I am allowed to or not. It is based off of the phoenity toolbars.cfg file but I made all the icons except for the search button from the pheonity skin. Icons I couldn't make or didn't turn out right I just didn't add them. They are only a few and they are in the submenus. So using the toobars.cfg file and the leaving out icons is that acceptable?

I will give credit to the person who made the toolbars.cfg file and for the icon I did use. Is that the correct way to do it?

I have asked this because I read one post at this forum and seen one guy(Al I think) get mad because people modified his themes and released them. I just didn't wanna cause trouble. I did it for myself at first and I noticed the last theme added here was from last year. I seen the ones made by al but they are just updated versions of older ones. I didn't see any other links on the theme pages besides that. Again this is my first one tell me what you think.

Screenshot

EDIT:this is the third screenshot I took. The first one was with the toolbars I use which isn't many. Then I noticed others might want to see all of them so I made a second. In the second I noticed the bookmarks toolbar didn't look the way I wanted so I am gonna fix it. This is the third one without the bookmarks toolbar.

I've made one post and have edited it quite a few times lol

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2008 04:10PM by reeko124.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Submitting a skin question
Posted by: guenter
Date: August 22, 2008 04:20PM

reeko124
I made a skin for 1.5. It is my first skin.

Thx for making a skin!

reeko124

I will give credit to the person who made the toolbars.cfg file and for the icon I did use. Is that the correct way to do it?

The author of Phoenity must be consulted before You mix these icons with Yours.
If You do not get permission - You can still take ones from "free" icon sets.

Yes You can use the toolbars.cfg code. It is GNU code - last updated/alterd by kko. You are free to use it to make new skins - how else - it is the K-Meleon project's skin code.

p.s. Yes Al got mad - but that is no problem: he does not own any icons copyright except one set which he bought grinning smiley. For the rest he just pretends to have a right tongue sticking out smiley The problem: with many icons & skins You can not find & contact the original authors & that is why a lot of skins updated to current code where not re-published sad smiley

If a person was granted the right to publish icons e.g. for a K-Meleon 1.0 skin the same person can probably update also but nobody else could not do it for the project. That is why kko and I stopped re-publication of the old skins that I had updated.

If any old skin author contacted me - he would get his updated installable skin.
If any person with info that an icon set of any old skin is free to use contacted me - he would get this updated installable skin.

The maker or informant would be free to use or publish with their own credit.

Date: August 22, 2008 04:46PM

Oh it will be no problem replacing the search icon then. I forgot about the privacy bar but I can do something with that or if I can't i'll take it out sad smiley. It took me awhile to understand how to do it but once you do its fun. Thanks again for getting back to me so soon smiling smiley

Date: August 22, 2008 05:13PM

Several privacy bars were made from PPL from this project - maybe one from Klassic or boxed_classic will do. Nobody ever protested for reusing privacy bars not even for the one that comes with the default skin.

Date: August 22, 2008 05:27PM

Ok it will be done shortly. How do I submit it lol? Thats a dumb question I know. I should have made the icons 2 different sizes but like an idiot I didn't. I downloaded a couple of the old skins for older versions and noticed some made large ones(24x24) and small ones(16x16) which is what I made mine. I don't feel like going back and making them all over again. I'll do both on the next one I am making.

Date: August 22, 2008 05:57PM

I am just gonna make my own privacy bar that I can use for all my skins so there isn't a problem smiling smiley.

Date: August 22, 2008 07:56PM

No dumb question - I do not know either :s I dimly remember that a bug tracker account was needed for some things in Wiki. If no other way You (or I) ask a dev.
devs also like new skins in Wiki :B

AFAIK skins range from 16x16 - 32x32 or perhaps 48. 16 and 24 seem the most common.
The few Privacy Bars are almost all small (height 16) because that is sufficient.

Date: August 23, 2008 04:39AM

Thats why no themes are made and not submitted because you have no clue where or who to submit it to lol. I would write a tutorial on how to get started doing the themes since the one here really doesn't tell you just gives you the tools to do it and a few basic things. I basically had to wing it myself until I figured it out lol. Oh well I started on my second one anyway. Thanks again for your responses guenter smiling smiley

I made the privacy bar and it turned out the best part. So if anyone here needs it or doesn't wanna make their own I'll send it to you. It was hard to put together because the one program that is recomended only goes up to 48X48 and when I broke down the length it was 17 different pieces at 13X64. I tried doing it in paint.net but it didn't work right I had to go into mspaint and put what I made together.

Date: August 23, 2008 10:52AM

As You know from Your own experience it is fun but consumess considerable amounts of time to create a new icon set. So many skins are based on reused icons.

Almost all installable new skins are at:
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/jujuland46/JujuLand/KMES/KMES-Download.html#down_extensions

The last 2 with icons made from scratch were Blau and Silber smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2008 10:52AM by guenter.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: August 23, 2008 03:27PM

I think that the most time consuming is the idea for an icon. Make them is quite easy.

In my personalized theme, or skin, as you wish (and not published) I have 4 icons created and what was the most "annoying" was thinking in how to create.

Date: August 23, 2008 09:41PM

I know what you mean its really easy once you get the design done. Its like my privacy bar it took me about 3 hours to get the way I wanted. Now it will only take me a total of 5 minutes to implement any color changes I want because I got everything else done. It was just hard piecing it together because like I said in a previous post I couldn't put it together because there were to many pixels and didn't know of any other program besides tbpaint.

Date: August 23, 2008 09:54PM

I absolutely agree - the concept and the first drawing and shading are lengthy.
I usually did all with an ancient Ullead Gif animator. But k-Meleon has got better picture support with 1.5 - so more brilliant colors (cf. FF Phoenity Aura) are possible. And I look for a new program to help me.

Posted by: desga2
Date: August 23, 2008 10:41PM

You can use IcoFX and XnView.

K-Meleon in Spanish

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.