General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Thank You So Much For K-Meleon
Posted by: Bishop
Date: August 28, 2008 05:08AM

First and foremost, I want to thank all those people who were involved in the development of K-meleon, and who are going to great lenghts to maintain and improve this excellent software.

I tried almost any major browser for the past few years - Firefox, Mozilla Suite, Opera, SeaMonkey, Safari, Netscape, I E and some of its derivatives like Avant and others.

In the end I came to like Opera, Mozilla Suite and Avant the most.

Mozilla Suite dropped off for regrettably it is no longer supported.

Avant has several advantages over I E but is simply not good enough for me. However, for people who like the I E 'feel', Avant could be an alternative.

I had the impression that Safari is very clean and probably renders webpages better than most browsers, except the defunct Mozilla Suite and Opera. It lacks however a lot of features to which many of us but all too easily became used to with Firefox and Opera.

It goes without saying that Firefox is a good browser and offers the most extra features as plugins, but Opera already comes with almost all those that im my opinion are really useful and not just bells and whistles. Since version 8.5 however, I became increasingly critical of the fact that in contradistinction to previous versions, Opera seemed to have become bloated. From a pretty lean and fast browser it had become a system hog.

Also, what I dislike about Firefox is not so much the browser itself, but more specifically the cult which seems to come with it.

And so it happened that about half a year ago or so I decided to put K-Meleon to the test and the more I made use of it, the more I became convinced that this was the kind of browser I had been looking for all that time: a fast, stable, lightweight no-nonsense browser.

Again, thank you very much for this outstanding program!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thank You So Much For K-Meleon
Posted by: nico
Date: August 30, 2008 07:20PM

Yes, Thank You So Much For K-Meleon smiling smiley

Posted by: Madeline
Date: September 02, 2008 10:14PM

Agreed. Bishop has said it all.

Posted by: albertna
Date: September 14, 2008 02:45PM

Yes indeed Mr Bishop has said it all

Posted by: Mereo
Date: September 14, 2008 08:44PM

Yes, thank you VERY MUCH for K-meleon.

And DON'T YOU DARE CHANGE THE ENGINE TO WEBKIT! I find Gecko a heck more faster than chrome.

Posted by: panzer
Date: September 15, 2008 03:27PM

Your welcome! winking smiley

Date: September 15, 2008 03:28PM

Can anybody tell me: What is so special about Webkit? Pros, cons anybody?

Posted by: guenter
Date: September 15, 2008 04:36PM

@panzer,
You know it smiling smiley Webkit (KHTML) is the Safari & Google chrome rendering engine.
A programer at wxbrowser wrote: It can be easier embeded than Gecko.

It exists only for NT based Windows.

IMHO It is bigger and slower than a K-Meleon GRE some more detail in this chrome thread.

Date: September 15, 2008 05:59PM

I saw that someone wanted Kmeleon with webkit and the other said he will move from Kmeleon to Arora when will it's developers make a official version. I thought webkit is a new "special revolutionary programm" for developers for HTML code. I even thought webkit is somerthing that will make everything in Arora "movable" (buttons up, down, left, right wherever you want them to be). Maximum flexibility.

And you told me that Webkit is only a engine.

I tried Arora and it looks pretty nice. Chrome boys should look at what developers of Arora managed to make (I do not know how long they are developing it, though).

Posted by: Mereo
Date: September 15, 2008 09:50PM

panzer
I tried Arora and it looks pretty nice. Chrome boys should look at what developers of Arora managed to make (I do not know how long they are developing it, though).

My experience was different. Arora was a heck slower on my comp and the scrolling was jerky.

Posted by: Bishop
Date: September 16, 2008 08:16AM

Mereo
panzer

My experience was different. Arora was a heck slower on my comp and the scrolling was jerky.

I believe that Arora is still in a very early stage of development and could become a decent browser at a later point in time.

If -for whatever reason- you would feel the need for a minimalistic browser, OffByOne could possibly be of interest. Needless to say, that it has its drawbacks too.

http://offbyone.com/offbyone/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2008 08:17AM by Bishop.

Posted by: guenter
Date: September 16, 2008 10:45AM

Arora has an older JavaScript engine than chrome = slower on pages with Script.

Which does no exclude that it looks pretty smiling smiley

Posted by: Weather
Date: September 16, 2008 10:51AM

guenter
@panzer,
Webkit (KHTML) is the Safari & Google chrome rendering engine.
A programer at wxbrowser wrote: It can be easier embeded than Gecko.

It exists only for NT based Windows.

Google are workingon an issue for Linux I believe. But it is strange they should have issued a Windows based browser.

IE went wrong from the get go, refusing to work with one of the oldest search engines: Gopher. I wonder why?

Doesn't look like K-Meleon does too, neither:
http://www.gopher.com/

Posted by: desga2
Date: September 16, 2008 12:42PM

This is a redirection problem, page loads fine with his real URL:
http://www.gopher.com/gopher/ws/index

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: disrupted(unlogged)
Date: September 16, 2008 01:48PM

geckos in general have good support for gopher.. ie6 requires enabling it in the registry(internet settings) but gopher is disabled completely for ie7.

more in this article:
gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/0/gopher/wbgopher

Posted by: PAQ
Date: September 18, 2008 05:20PM

I will reasume all above answers... with the right puent..

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.