Posted by: laurent
Date: September 04, 2008 02:49PM

Mmmmh... If only it’d work on XP 1...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: google's browser
Posted by: Anonymous
Date: September 04, 2008 04:04PM

disrupted,

The link you posted to the arora browser, do you use it at all? I was curious to try it out and really liked it, but I don't know if it's something I could use all the time. Is it secure for browsing on a daily basis? Will it ever support flash? Do you think it's similar to K-Meleon in any way, aside from using webkit? I like the simplicity of it very much, but not sure if it could be used as an alternative to K-Meleon.

Posted by: disrupted(unlogged)
Date: September 04, 2008 05:15PM

yes, i use it every now and then.. especially when i want to test out pages on webkit. i like arora a lot and yes, it reminds me of very early kmeleons.. it's very simple yet very functional.
as security goes, it is secure and it supports ssl connections.. and malicious codes on bad sites hardly ever target webkit browsers.. so those scripts don't workk on arora and that's a plus.

arora is still alpha and currently it doesn't support any kind of plugins but hopefully that will change in next releases and flash will then be supported, the project is quite active and i hope it doesn't die especially after the release of chrome cause i think compared to the few webkit browsers for windows machines.. arora is the best.

safari-windows=nightmare
swift=was promising yet very limited alpha.. now dead
chrome= hmm... makes me feel like playing pacman
arora= on the right track

Posted by: guenter
Date: September 04, 2008 08:58PM

Arora reminds me of MFC embed ( first MFCembedIEegine and later MFCembedGecko ).

p.s. I 'd like to have a khtml-k-meleon-plugin that opens pages in webkit instead of Gecko if I want too. That way I have that engine inside a real browser.

I know and use K-Meleon since 0.6 - if I want a rudimentary but promising browser I would use K-Meleon 0.7.1 grinning smiley

Date: September 04, 2008 09:44PM

nothing beats this one:

hey..it's faster than chrome! smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2009 08:23PM by disrupted.

Date: September 04, 2008 09:52PM

a khtml engine renderer like ietab.. that would be sweet, it will probably be bigger in size than kmeleon itself grinning smiley

it's a very nice idea.. and very doable, the webkit is out there.. all it needs is an implementation for kmeleon and a macro, maybe someone should work on it as a side project..

Posted by: Mereo
Date: September 05, 2008 05:47AM

I have to say that Google Chrome is rather slow on my comp. Scrolling is slow and Ajax apps aren't as fast on my comp.

Amazingly, I find K-meleon MUCH faster at rendering and is smooth at scrolling heavy pages with Flash.

I want the devs of K-meleon to continue the good work and to CONTINUE using Gecko as the engine.

Posted by: darklink
Date: September 05, 2008 08:23AM

Google seems to be proud of the low memory usage of their browser...but is Chrome good as K-meleon by this point of view?

Date: September 05, 2008 02:28PM

disrupted(unlogged)
a khtml engine renderer like ietab... it will probably be bigger in size than kmeleon itself grinning smiley

Webkit itself is huge. About twice as big as K-Meleon including Gecko.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: September 05, 2008 03:35PM

yes.. one can tell how big it is from chrome's 20+mb size(arora with basic qtwebkit is about 10mb i think) but i still think it's a great idea.. and can be offered separately for download as webkittab or safaritab.

the server ate my 0.1b snapshot:

dark: chrome can't even stand comparison to kmeleon when it comes to memory usage and especially cpu usage. the only thing where chrome outperforms kmeleon is in launch from warm(from cold they are exactly the same). from warm; chrome has a 1 second advantage over kmeleon... give or take a few milliseconds (not even close to 2 seconds) kmeleon takes 1 second to launch..chrome runs at once. this on 2.66 ghz cpu.. chrome doesn't run on 9x but i can already imagine it struggling on slow cpus.
and all that topped by this weird jewelbox ui.. unless this browser gets a complete overhaul and serious cosmetic surgery; it will be dead in a couple of months.(without mourners)

now, if anyway wants the real browser-muncher when it comes to speed.. go there:
ftp://ftp.pcworld.co.nz/Pcworld/files/dec2000/

Posted by: Anonymous
Date: September 05, 2008 04:04PM

thanks for your info on arora.

I'm going to keep using KM and keep arora as a secondary browser, while paying close attention to its future development. Once it supports flash and other plugins I will use it a lot more, but KM will still have a place on my desktop.

It's very nice to have 2 browsers that are/will be perfect available to use (at least for what I need them for). The webkit experience with arora also interests me, so thanks for providing that link otherwise I would have never discovered another nice browser.

Date: September 05, 2008 06:33PM

A detailed German discussion at c't (Heise, Hannover) on current and near future Browsers' speeds.

Summary at the bottom: Not only bad support of web standards and d-grade usability speak against IE 7. It is really slow - 4 last places in 8 tests.

Apart from that each of the new browsers has its weaknesses ...

Browsers: IE 7, Firefox 2&3, Current Opera 9.52, Safari 3. Previews of IE 8 & Safari 4.

Future:
Safari 4 will have a faster script engine, „SquirrelFish“ that shows great speed.
Firefox 4 which will come later and have a yet faster script engine, „Tamarin“.

p.s. A Firefox 3 with several common extensions was used as the browser workhorse to compare ( reference speed ). Current K-Meleon uses this older Firefox engine.
Thx to the culling of unneeded components our 1.8. engine is considerably faster than the same engine driving a firefox.

The c't tests were done with a high speed PC and 2 GB RAM - One browser was started as first and only application.

K-Meleon usually performs better under normal situations and with less ideal conditions to perform (other programs running or older hardware or both ).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2008 02:49PM by guenter.

Date: September 06, 2008 04:05AM

more crap from chrome:
found this in my tasks folder: GoogleUpdateTaskUser.job luckily i have tasks service disabled but just shows how persistent they are in doing things behind your back.

had enough..deleted this rubbish program

Posted by: suggestion
Date: September 06, 2008 11:44AM

if google adds a browser, kmeleon should add a search engine: http://www.yacy.net

Posted by: soccerfan
Date: September 06, 2008 03:33PM

disrupted(unlogged)
more crap from chrome:
found this in my tasks folder: GoogleUpdateTaskUser.job luckily i have tasks service disabled but just shows how persistent they are in doing things behind your back.

Came across a portable version here:
http://portableapps.com/node/15456
Most stuff is confined to the application folder.

soccerfan

Date: September 06, 2008 11:19PM

cool link soccer, thanks

Posted by: disrupted
Date: September 07, 2008 07:30PM
Posted by: roger
Date: September 08, 2008 12:23PM

CCleaner doesn't support Chrome. You'll have to add the folders/files you want cleaned in : Options > Include > Add Folder or Add File.

Date: September 08, 2008 01:47PM

disrupted
google vs microsoft vs FBI

smiling smiley all 3 into spying?

"suggestion" pointed out to me in a mail that our goverment is worried about certain aspects of chrome.

chrome tries to compete on the browser market. Maybe browser providers (that are not subsidized by Google) should opt to include alternative free search engines such as the yacy client (or offer an extension or a browser sub version that includes it).

Arora 0.4
Posted by: playdayz
Date: September 08, 2008 05:08PM

The debian/Ubuntu version of arora that is available on their site http://www.arora-browser.org is version 0.4 (it identifies itself as that anyway in Help: Aout--even though the file says 0.3) Anyway javascript works and it says on the Screenshots page that Flash and youtube are available if afrora is "compiled against the webkit trunk." In the one I am running flash doesn't seem to be working. It also wouldn't log me onto this forum properly. But otherwise I like it much better than chrome. With flash (and flashblock ;-) it would look like the lightweight native linux browser I have been looking for. The qtwebkit library plus the browser is only 10.5 MB--but the only Qt 4.4 I have access to is the full monte (66 more Msmoking smiley-and maybe webkit is more than just the libqtwebkit. I just "undebed" the debian file and if you have QT 4.4 w/ webkit there is very little else to install (maybe total 10 files or so.) I checked and the windows arora installer identifies itself as 0.3. On the basis of my positive feelings about this linux arora I would also like to see K-Meleon with a webkit option.

Posted by: Arrow
Date: September 08, 2008 08:30PM

More on Chrome and Google's invasion of privacy or potential thereof, several of the links below are on this page
http://smokeys.wordpress.com/2008/09/06/google-chrome-at-risk-from-carpet-bomb-bug/

Chrome is a security nightmare, indexes your bank accounts
http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/39176/108/

Omnibox - As you type, your text is sent back to Google, which analyzes it and makes the auto-suggestions. That’s why you don’t even need to press Enter for the text to head to Google.
http://blogs.computerworld.com/chrome_googles_biggest_threat_to_your_privacy

Also from computerworld.com
Google: Master of the stealth
http://blogs.computerworld.com/google_chrome_picasa

Chrome vulnerabilities
http://www.securitymanagement.com/news/googles-new-chrome-browser-vulnerable-exploits-004616

DPI - ISP's are subject to privacy laws Google are not.
http://precursorblog.com/content/more-google-biggest-threat-peoples-privacy

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2008 08:34PM by Arrow.

Posted by: caktus
Date: September 08, 2008 11:16PM

Suggestion
kmeleon should add a search engine: [www.yacy.net]

Wouldn't yacy carry security threats as can other p2p"s?

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Date: September 09, 2008 04:16AM

Linux lightwight, native widgets and similar to K-Meleon = Kazekahase (seems to run several engines) & very light - Galeon.

Posted by: foxy proxy
Date: September 09, 2008 04:24AM

I don't suppose when you downloaded Chrome, you used an anonymous proxy, otherwise Google has your IP address. And all the security risks that involves. You do run Chrome using an anonymous proxy, don't you?

Posted by: greenie
Date: September 09, 2008 05:20AM

Anything you enter in the Chrome address/search bar goes straight to Google where it is analyzed, indexed, sorted, compiled and compared 7 ways to Sunday. The entries are made available to government agencies ( you can guess their initials ). You might as well put your entire browsing history on a public forum.

Posted by: desga2
Date: September 09, 2008 07:50PM

I think that Google Chrome there isn't a important and stable browser so ... 4 years?
In 4 years Gecko and WebKit engines full all market of browsers to aprox. 50% for each.

The current main problem of WebKit engine are (IMO);
- Bigger size of engine. (In 4 years this isn't a problem for anyone)

- A lot of bugs and problems with plugins. (In 4 years WebKit will developed to same level that Gecko and this problem not exist because found users with this engine in his browsers will usuall)[Note that Gecko is supported by Mozilla Fundation, but WebKit is supported by Apple, and now, by Goolge (2 big companys)]

- WebKit engine not works in Win2K/NT and Win9X OS. (In 4 years anyone will used this OS or this will used by few people outdated) I hope that in 4 years a lot of people will used linux OS.

I think that is a good idea start to developement a new K-Meleon browser for linux (native) and with WebKit engine support or support to both WebKit & Gecko.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: roger
Date: September 10, 2008 04:18AM

disrupted(unlogged)
more crap from chrome:

Check your Windows\Prefetch folder for more Chrome/Google Update items to delete. CCleaner didn't delete them even though I had Windows > Advanced > Old Prefetch data, checked. I had to do it manually.

Posted by: caktus
Date: September 10, 2008 10:09PM

About every 14 days Windows purges the Prefetch folder of files that have gone unused for about 14-28 days. Also, they are just text files. These files make no difference if the associate exe's have been uninstalled. I think the only problems can be is if registry entries, dll, exe and such files are left behind.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Posted by: foobarly
Date: September 11, 2008 03:27PM

@Guenter

Hasn't Galeon been deprecated in favour of Epiphany? I run the later & Opera in my forays into linux... smiling smiley

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.