Managing K-Meleon's Cookies
Posted by: clutterless
Date: September 02, 2008 09:12PM

I almost always clear all of K-Meleon's caches when I close
the browser. [Tools>Privacy>Settings>Privacy Plugin Settings]

Google has added a feature that is ususally very annoying to
me. Under [Preferences>Query Suggestions] I always tick off
"Do not provide query suggestions in the search box."

If I was using IE the cookie Google creates is easy to find.
I can't find anything in the directory where K-Meleon is
installed or in "C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\K-Meleon" that
shows the Google cookie.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Managing K-Meleon's Cookies
Posted by: JamesD
Date: September 02, 2008 11:44PM
Posted by: clutterless
Date: September 03, 2008 01:55PM

WOW!!

A nice, simple cookie with the name "Google" in Windows
cookie folder (or some other folder) is badly needed
with this browser.

The idea is to save the Google cookie so you don't
have to set your preferences each time you use the
search engine.

I read the info from the link you provided, JamesD.
Why does K-Meleon have to make the process of managing
cookies so complex?

I create scripts that manage a lot of repetitive processes.
If I were using IE, I would write a script that saved
the Google cookie with my "preferences" and dump the
rest.

Date: September 03, 2008 06:01PM

I use a program called "Cookie Monster" to manage cookies with KM. I have some cookies "preserved" and I let Cookie Monster eat all the other cookies. That way E-bay, SourceForge, my bank, etc. can have cookies that stay while all others I can dispose of.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2008 06:03PM by JamesD.

Managing K-Meleon's Cookies, the return...
Posted by: laurent
Date: September 24, 2008 08:06PM

G’d evening everyone!
I just installed & gave the latest KM-ver a go on my system (BTW, cheers! Great work!). In doing so, I also played with the new cookies-manager (Tools › Privacy › View Data › View Cookies), and incidentally checked the box "delete cookie permanently". It seems I have unleashed some evil thing, since every resetting of cookie pertaining to the websites I visit on a regular basis is now made impossible... Now to my question: is it possible to revert this "permanent" cookie-banning? Of course, I looked for a way to do so upon the preferences dialog box, in vain...

Thx in advance!

--laurent

PS #1:
A feature like "cookie preservation" (i.e. marked cookie will be preserved/restored even when the cookie.txt-file is flushed) in the cookie-mgr would be of great use. (In fact, I even don’t really get the point of the current "banning-approach", as you can delete anyway every unwanted cookie automatically at startup/shutdown...).

PS #2:
"Cookie-Monster", mentioned by James and which seems to include the preservation option, doesn’t seem to recognize any KM-cookie on my system. Any clue ?

Posted by: desga2
Date: September 24, 2008 10:59PM

Tools -> Privacy -> Permissions -> Cookies

Rmove cookie site source in state Deny.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: September 24, 2008 11:50PM

Of course! Thank you Desga! Silly me...
But as I feared, this solves only a part of my more general cookie-problem: I’d like to KEEP ONLY the certain cookies, selectively (while the other wouldbe flushed on shutdown). To this respect, I’ve got exactly the same desiderata as Clutterless who opened this thread (preservation of my Google search-settings)...

The prog. "Cookie-Monster" seemed to be a response (see James’s explanation), but even after KM path-specification, it does NOT recognize any KM-stored cookie...

Or maybe a little hack in the KM-code would do it?...

Any feedback on this issue is welcome...

--l.

Date: September 25, 2008 03:30AM

@ laurent

Try this for Cookie Monster. In KM use EDIT - CONFIGURATION - PROFILE DIRECTORY. Copy the information in the address bar. Close KM and open Cookie Monster. Go to OPTIONS - CUSTOM PROFILE FOR GECKO BROWSERS. Paste the information that you got from the address bar. Do the OK then close and open Cookie Monster. You should then see the cookies from KM.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: September 25, 2008 06:18AM

ported cookieculler firefox extension by dan yamaoka for k-meleon (basically created manifest+macro)

i tested it with google and it preserves the cookie preference without problems

download this file:
http://starvega.bizhat.com/cookieculler_kmeleonport.z

(the file is zipped: if you have problems extracting it, just change extension to zip instead of z)

the macro file cookieculler.kmm gets saved in kmeleon's macros folder.
the cookieculler.jar+ the manifest go to the chrome folder.

the macro will add a new entry in the tools menu:

open manage cookies, to protect the required cookies from deletion:

open preferences, to set deleting cookies at startup:

i've tested it a bit and it seems to be functioning fine but i think further testing is required.

IMPORTANT! any kmeleon cookie settings will override cookieculler options and protected cookies will be deleted.
i.e. clearing cookies from kmeleon privacy menu must never be selected and clearing cookies automatically(privacy>clear data>clear automatically) must be disabled.

Date: September 25, 2008 04:17PM

@ JamesD:
Nice shortcut! It worked, finally, dunno what went wrong yesterday...
@ disrupted:
I’ll give Cookieculler a try this evening. I’ll let you know.

Thanks to both of you!

Date: September 25, 2008 10:08PM

Well, at first sight, the Culler seems to work fine, my "vital" cookies are safe and sound. And it’s far more convenient than to launch the red Monster every time...

It would be great to see these features (and why not a bit more, like the option of flushing on shutdown instead of startup) taken over in native KM in the future.

Date: September 25, 2008 10:32PM

@ laurent

Some possible help for automatic/semi-automatic run of Cookie Monster can be found here http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,76260,76327#msg-76327 , and here http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,76260,76299#msg-76299

One runs too often and the other needs user to request for a run. I am thinking of trying to construct a macro/js that will check elaspsed time before running.

Date: September 25, 2008 10:38PM

Thanks!

"I am thinking of trying to construct a macro/js that will check elaspsed time before running."

--› Sounds nice... ;-)

Posted by: ndebord
Date: September 25, 2008 11:39PM

I use Cookie Monster with no problems in KM 1.0.2, KM 1.1.6 and KM 1.5.

I use all three in their program sub-folders with the INI file.

Here is the cookie monster setting for km 1.0.2 that works for me:

Custom profiles folder for Gecko-based browsers: (K-Meleon):

C:\Program Files\KMeleon1\Profiles

N

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: September 26, 2008 06:50AM

I have adapted CookieCooler and CookieMonster since a long time ( a few years) ... and it's on KMES page.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2008 06:51AM by JujuLand.

Posted by: disrupted(unlogged)
Date: September 26, 2008 08:57AM

oh yeah.. cookieculler is indeed on kmes page, thanks alain (one should check your page before fiddling with those firefox extensions)

alain, there are several autofill firefox extensions, i tried to make them work but in vain.. mostly because either they relied on a sidebar or using firefox-only commands.. any chance they may work because i couldn't make roboform work , i'm still hoping you will make it work for 1.5 smiling smiley

(i'm not a big fan of roboform.. is there any other freeware alternative that could be implemented in kmeleon)

Date: September 26, 2008 10:20PM

@ Alain :
Rebonsoir ! Pour tout t’avouer, j’avais déjà fait un bond à Jujuland, mais ayant fait une fixette sur KM_Tools121, j’étais complètement passé à côté de KM-Extension Setup. Or, comme le lien sur ta page vers ledit KM_Tools était mort, j’ai fini par me tourner vers ce forum (où, ma foi, je commence à prendre mes habitudes...).
Je crois qu’il va falloir que je me penche de plus près sur ces subtiles histoires de macros, xpi-kei, localisations, scripts, compatiblité et tutti quanti (je suis un peu à la ramasse côté techos...).

Bien à toi,

--l.

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: September 27, 2008 07:20AM

@Laurent,

Les pages ont été bloquées par wanadoo pour la simple raison que les dites pages n'étaient pas accessibles depuis la racine du site.

J'ai corrigé çà avec une simple page donnant le lien vers KMES 190.

C'est d'auant plus stupide qu'il y avait des centaines d'accès à ces mêmes pages, et on ne pouvait donc me prêter l'intention de cacher ces pages.

Faut dire qu'à Wanadoo/Orange, on tient quelques bourrins ...

Pour la version 2.10, qui est en cours de mise en place, je vais domicilier les pages de présentations sur Geckozone, ou un admin m'a gracieusement accordé le gite. Les exe et zip seront toujours mon site.

J'ai pris pas mal de retard, et je ne pense pas pouvoir les mettre avant quelques semaines.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2008 07:20AM by JujuLand.

Date: September 27, 2008 10:51AM

@ Alain :
L’internet selon Orange... Tout un programme !!

Bon courage pour la migration et pour continuer à faire évoluer intelligemment la bestiole verte, la seule qui ne traîne pas la patte sur mon vieux portab’ à proco Celeron avec 256 Mo de mém. vive (j’y suis très attaché...) !!!

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.