General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
kmeleon and Avira AV
Posted by: Cork
Date: September 10, 2008 04:36PM

Hello,
On 2 recent installs, 2 different machines, of both kmeleon and Avira AV, upon full system scan, Avira detects one trojan, of which I've already deleted the log file and report.

If anybody has newest version of Avira AV and can do a quick scan of their kmeleon folder, it should detect same thing anyway. Maybe?!

Doesn't seem to do anything to the browser though.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: kmeleon and Avira AV
Posted by: slystone
Date: September 10, 2008 09:09PM

I have the latest version of antivir personal and kmeleon. I've had kmeleon for two months ariva says nothing. I read your post and did a scan on kmeleons program files clean. Ever think maybe a false posisitve? Go to the ariva forums, post and they will tell you how to contact ariva and how to send them the files.I had a spyware program and it had to be scanning before ariva pcked it up as malware. When it was idle nothing. Good luck. They can fix it in a update.

Posted by: Ed L.
Date: September 11, 2008 12:04AM

I run Avira and AVG on my computers at home, and I know K-Meleon is definitely clean.

Did you set it up so your browsing cache is saved to your K-meleon folder? If so, you might be picking up nasty javascript, cookies, and other bad files while you surf the web and Avira is picking them up.

I trust my antivirus enough to block all these nasties and I also trust K-Meleon since its gecko engine has few exploits. But if it bothers you, just clear your cache and cookies out.

Posted by: frank
Date: September 11, 2008 04:40PM

I run K-Meleon 1.5 and Avira AntiVir PE Classic (free). A full system scan once a week shows no problems, other than Avira says it can't scan my pagefile/swap (gives a warning).

Posted by: Anonymous User
Date: September 11, 2008 07:39PM

I also use K-Meleon 1.5 and Avira AntiVir PE Classic (free).

It detects nothing in my computer, no problem at all.

By the way, I've downloaded the EICAR test file and Avira doesn't jump in automatically when I download it to advise me it's a virus as Kaspersky and Zone Alarm does, but if I order Avira to scan the file it detects it perfectly.

Does it mean that Avira will only detect a virus if I order to specifically scan that file?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2008 07:40PM by enaitzjga.

Posted by: frank
Date: September 12, 2008 04:12AM

I ran a full system scan in Safe Mode using Avira, Spyware Terminator and Comodo Firewall Pro. Comodo Firewall Pro > Defense + > Common Tasks > Scan My System, found 2 worms in C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\tzchange that Avira and Spyware Terminator did not find. Since Avira didn't find them, I'm wondering is it a false positive? I didn't expect to find worms in Service Pack Files.

Posted by: Cork
Date: September 13, 2008 09:27AM

I figured it was a false positive or maybe just some freaked out cookie. I WAS NOT overly concerned about Aviras detection there. Was merely questioning if anyone else had come across this.

Thanks for the replies.

Posted by: mdunkan
Date: September 13, 2008 01:39PM

Spyware Terminator and Avira reports several false positives.
Best choice is Superantispyware and Avast Antivirus.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.