General discussion about K-Meleon 
[SOLVED]Get rid of KM folder in C:\Windows\Application Data
Posted by: melo
Date: September 15, 2008 04:12AM

Hi,

KM 1.1.6 with installer
WINDOWS 98 SE
"Don't use profiles"

KM folder in C:\Windows\Application Data remains empty and, when deleted, is always recreated.
Is it useful ?

TIA.
Regards.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2008 04:42AM by melo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Get rid of KM folder in C:\Windows\Application Data
Posted by: caktus
Date: September 15, 2008 01:47PM

Being empty must be a 98SE thing. Of all versions since KM 1.1.2 on my XP, Components folder has always had contents. But empty, it's should be taking nearly zero to four KB of memory, so it should not be causing any problem.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Date: September 15, 2008 04:10PM

Thanks for answering...

Previously with KM 1.1.5 & 1.1.6 (using arc file, not the installer...), the folder contained a lot of important files.
Recently, I installed 1.1.6 with installer and "Don't use multiple profiles" behavior
IMHO, this configuration uses only the "Program Files" folder and not the "Application data" one.
Unused folder seems to be a remainder of full multi-profile installation.

Regards.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2008 03:35AM by melo.

Posted by: guenter
Date: September 15, 2008 04:11PM

It is a minor bug and not useful nor harmfull.

AFAIK the xpcom_core.dll compiled with Dorian's Vissual C 7.1 compiler have this habbit. To prevent the creation of the empty folder You use xpcom_core.dll that are compiled with Visual C 6. You can use the dll together with Dorian's optimized GRE files.

This file version created by Visual C 6 is used e.g. for portable K-Meleons because You do not want anything created on a PC where Your USB K-Meleon is hosted. You can get a fresh file from a new SeaMonkey with the same basic GRE as Your K-Meleon. But any older e.g. from a portable will also do. I have not heared of any security buggs in this file.

p.s. The folder is empty and does not have content on all DOS and NT based Windows Versions (it is in the version specific %Apdata% folder) when You have chosen that the Profiles are in K-Meleon folder.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2008 04:22PM by guenter.

Date: September 15, 2008 05:01PM

guenter
[...]

Wahoo... killing answer !
Thanks, I'll give it a try...

[Edit]
It works just fine !
Superseded with xpcom_core.dll from NETSCAPE Navigator 9.0.0.6 (already on my 'puter...).
It's real pleasure... smiling smiley

Regards.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2008 04:40AM by melo.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.