General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: End of 'Internet Spirit' : soon smiling smiley
Posted by: JujuLand
Date: September 28, 2008 02:39PM

Yes, guenter, I've visited the two pages on SourceForge : Unternet Spirit and GhostFox, I was thinking about mailing to Sourceforge to block theses pages as they violate K-Meleon License (GPL) dont forget GhostFox project page too.

Same thing for the text you purpose, don't forget GhostFox Web Browser.

English:
Internet Spirit Web Browser and GhostFox Web browser 1.1.5 , 1.5, 2.0, 3.0, 3.013 ... are K-Meleon 1.1.5 et 1.5 clones.

Eula's licence of Internet Spirit and GhostFox violateviolates K-Meleon's GPL copyrights. Please remove the download or redirect to the original.
French:
Internet Spirit Web Browser et GhostFox Web browser 1.1.5 , 1.5, 2.0, 3.0, 3.013 ... sont des clones de K-Meleon 1.1.5 et 1.5.

Les licences Eula de Internet Spirit et GhostFox violent les droits accordés par la licence GPL de K-Meleon. Veuillez supprimer leur téléchargement ou rediriger vers le site original de K-Meleon.

I think it would be interesting to read the sourceforge conditions. I think we ought to find something about licenses.

About Google, it's possible, but hardest to do:

http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=61062&ctx=sibling
http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=93713&topic=13511

@kko, I also find this message, and that's why I think it's more important to ask for download sites which allows more important download traffic.

I hope that the person I contacted on ZDnet make something, because CNET is the post important download group, with a lot of sites.

Would it be possible to ask for the provider where are located the Hardy pages ?

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2008 03:00PM by JujuLand.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kko
Date: September 28, 2008 03:21PM

guenter
Ist das Prozedere so ok?

Original at: http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/download.php

English:

Internet Spirit Web Browser 1.1.5 is a K-Meleon 1.1.5 clone.

Internet Spirit's Eula violates K-Meleon's GPL copyrights. Please remove the downlaod or redirect to the original.

German:

Internet Spirit Web Browser 1.1.5 ist ein K-Meleon 1.1.5 Clone.

Internet Spirits Eula bricht K-Meleons GPL Copyright. Bitte entfernen Sie den Download Link oder leiten Sie zum Original um.

Bezug: http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,84013,84102#msg-84102

I'd suppose something like this:

Internet Spirit Web Browser is a clone of the open source browser K-Meleon (http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/) and is violating both K-Meleon's copyright and license (GPL).
I therefore ask you to remove your download links for Internet Spirit Web Browser or to redirect them to the original product.

Internet Spirit Web Browser ist ein Clone des Open-Source-Browsers K-Meleon (http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/) und verletzt sowohl dessen Copyright als auch Lizenz (GPL).
Ich bitte Sie daher, Ihre Download-Links für Internet Spirit Web Browser zu entfernen oder auf das Originalprodukt umzuleiten.

Date: September 28, 2008 03:27PM

JujuLand
Would it be possible to ask for the provider where are located the Hardy pages ?

The provider is Doteasy, obviously. (DNS Record)

Re: End of 'Internet Spirit' and 'GhostFox' : soon smiling smiley
Date: September 28, 2008 04:12PM

Here is a mail I have sent to abuse@doteasy.com

I am a member of the team of developers K-Meleon, which as you perhaps know is free software under the GPL. This license allows everyone to freely use and modify freely as the software in question.

The sources of K-Meleon are of course available online, and many programmers do not hesitate to change the software to fit what they want. And all this is very good.

In the case of Internet Spirit and GhostFox Web browsers , it would be ok if the author did not violate the terms of the license.

Indeed, the author of the modified code is not required to seek permission from the author of the official version, he must mention the origin of the product, provide sources of the code, and keep the product changed under the same license.

But on all these points, there is flagrant violation of GPL.

These products are located on a website which domain is registered on your system :

www.hardyCreations.com

As mentionned in your conditions, this domain must be blocked.

* Content that infringes or violates any copyright, patent, trademark, service mark, trade name, trade secret, or other intellectual property right of any third party.

So, I ask you to block this domain which is now down, for another reason

This website www.hardycreations.com is currently unavailable due to exceeded monthly traffic quota. Please visit again later.

Thanks to answer to my query.

Alain Aupeix
member of the K-Meleon Team

A+

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Date: September 28, 2008 04:26PM

Well done Alain! Thank you very much.

Posted by: disrupted(unlogged)
Date: September 28, 2008 05:24PM

cnet's editors' emails:

Scott.ArdATcnet.com (editor-en-chief)
mike.ricciutiATcnet.com (executive editor)
Laura.CuculluATcnet.com (senior editor)
lee.kooATcnet.com (community manager)
Jennifer.SparkmanATcnet.com (front editor)
claudiahATcnet.com (tech editor)

snail mail:
CBS Interactive
235 Second Street
San Francisco, CA 94105-3124
415-344-2000

i've previously emailed them but it'd be better if they get the complaints from the devs themselves

Date: September 28, 2008 07:52PM

Here is the mail I sent to Sourceforge

Sorry for mailing to your two mails, but I don't know exactly who is concerned.

I am a member of the team of developers K-Meleon, which as you know is free software under the GPL. This license allows everyone to freely use and modify freely as the software in question.

The sources of K-Meleon are of course available online, and many programmers do not hesitate to change the software to fit what they want. And all this is very good.

In the case of Internet Spirit and GhostFox Web browsers , it would be ok if the author did not violate the terms of the license.

Indeed, the author of the modified code is not required to seek permission from the author of the official version, he must mention the origin of the product, provide sources of the code, and keep the product changed under the same license.

But on all these points, there is flagrant violation of GPL.

These projects are located on sourceforge :

InternetSpirit
GhostFox

from hardyCreations

As mentionned in your conditions, this projects must be blocked.

<<

Without limiting any other remedies, COMPANY may suspend or terminate your SourceForge.net account if we suspect that you have engaged in unlawful activity in connection with SourceForge.net. In addition, ...

... Prohibited activity includes, but is not limited to:

(a) ... copyright infringement, patent infringement, or ...;

>>

So, I ask you to block (suspend or terminate??) these accounts.

Thanks to answer to my query.

Alain Aupeix
member of the K-Meleon Team

A+

A+

Date: September 28, 2008 07:53PM

@disrupted,

if needed (I wait for an answer of ZDnet), I'll use it.

A+

Posted by: Mark Williamson
Date: September 28, 2008 09:11PM

Just went ahead and added K-Meleon as "Internet Spirit/K-Meleon" to our site and featured it on our home page which should hopefully help towards the search engine efforts. We've also placed an announcement on our front page to help the cause. Without you guys offering freeware our site wouldn't exist so please accept my thanks for your time and efforts and if I can be of any further assistance please let me know.
Cheers
Marko

Posted by: guenter
Date: September 28, 2008 10:59PM

Markos Free Software Pages are at:

Free Software Downloads & Archives
Freeware Downloads
Download Free Software

For the next looks for free software.

K-Meleon is e.g. featured at Freeware BB. Marko created the post for the benefit of PPL and search engines that know K-Meleon under other names smiling smiley

p.s. thx Marko, especially for Your efforts to promote and distribute free software.

Hope Marko and none here minds that I spammed our Forum a little. If You want anything changed, inform me - I am moderator & can censor it smiling smiley

@alain IMHO we should wait and look on Wedesneday or later what is still found on the top 2 or 3 search engine pages (nationally and internationally).

Then we could translate & use kko's text - it is short and to the point.
And if each does in his home country - it is clear where we look and less work for each.

kko's text once again / best no exact translation but what sounds well for You:

Internet Spirit Web Browser is a clone of the open source browser K-Meleon (http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/) and is violating both K-Meleon's copyright and license (GPL).
I therefore ask you to remove your download links for Internet Spirit Web Browser or to redirect them to the original product. Thank You in advance.

Internet Spirit Web Browser ist ein Clone des Open-Source-Browsers K-Meleon (http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/) und verletzt sowohl dessen Copyright als auch Lizenz (GPL).
Ich bitte Sie daher, Ihre Download-Links für Internet Spirit Web Browser zu entfernen oder auf das Originalprodukt umzuleiten. Ich danke Ihnen schon jetzt.

Date: September 29, 2008 05:36AM

@guenter,

ok for kko's text, except, as on some web sites, we found it, add GhostFox name.

A+

Posted by: panzer
Date: September 29, 2008 02:46PM

Just to make it clear: Internet spirit is 100% Kmeleon clone or let say just 80%? Not that it makes any difference ...

Date: September 29, 2008 03:26PM

I have just a quick look, and it's not 100%, but perhaps 90%.

But there is no difference. There are a GPL License violations, and it's prohibited.

If this guy, what I don't think, reintroduce what he had removed (copyrights), put the source online, and abandonate Eula for GPL, he will have the law with him.

For now, he is a robber.

A+

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2008 03:27PM by JujuLand.

Date: September 29, 2008 03:43PM

Did you look at that 10 %? Did he implement something that Kmeleon does not have? Guess not ... But if he would have something better, you could steal his idea ... smiling smiley smiling smiley

Posted by: Dorian
Date: September 29, 2008 04:23PM

from ghostfox site
IT IS A CLOSED SOURCE PROJECT HOWEVER, IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN THE SOURCE CODE THEN PLEASE CONTACT ME AND I'LL SEND IT TO YOU!

Could someone ask him for the source? I'm curious. I'm sure there are absolutely no change, except for the names in the copyright.

Posted by: desga2
Date: September 29, 2008 04:45PM

@ panzer:
K-Meleon 1.5 installed is size 20 Mb
"Internet Shit" v3.0 is size 50 Mb

As everyone can calculated the difference is 30 Mb of trash. grinning smiley

If 20 Mb of Internet Shit is K-Meleon and his full size is 50 Mb with a simple rule 3 we have the result:

50 -> 100
20 -> X

X=100*20/50

40% of Internet Shit is K-Meleon.

And if 16 Mb are from skins we have that:

50 -> 100
16 -> X

X=100*16/50

32% of Internet Shit are others author's skins for K-Meleon.

In conclusion 40%+32%=72% of work to do Internet Shit isn't made by "hardycreations".

What's really "created" by "hardycopies"?

I was researching this 28% (size 14 Mb) and this that i found:

In main folder there is a difference of 7.5 Mb, by the exe files that include: bigs icons (from Maxthon and Flock), banners (really ugly) and photos from the copier's dumb face in true colors, and some library as mfc71.dll, ...

3 Mb in splash, plugins, sounds, Michael J. Hardy profiles (with history, icon cache and cookies included, you can start to be a copier now! or need you his bookmarks too?)

4 Mb, this is a special mention to NSIS_SkinCrafter_Plugin.dll, who like use a Nsis plugin with this size only to install the files?

Sorry Hardy, but if you are going to copy something at least make a good copy don't do a horrible fat copy.

Without the acrimony and from the affection. tongue sticking out smiley

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2008 04:49PM by desga2.

Date: September 29, 2008 04:52PM

License is Eula, no source and no reverse enginering.

In the version I have upload, menu toolbars, and settings have been reorganized and no more kmprefs (it seems, but I have test it quickly, and I don't remember which version, because since 17 of july 2008, there is a lot of name or versions)

HardyCreations is now up sad smiley

I'm downloading his last shit ... 18 Mo

A+

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2008 08:42PM by JujuLand.

Posted by: An Anonymous Guy
Date: September 29, 2008 05:52PM

Has anyone seen this? http://www.hardycreations.com/spirit/Credits.xhtml
All I see is the picture of K-Meleon with the name. Where is the necessary credit
given? This browser is still not legal is it? Looks like it needs spelling out to
this guy what the minumum is he must do. Sorry if anyone has already covered this.

Date: September 29, 2008 06:02PM

I compared this Bad Spirit v3.0 (last version) with K-Meleon 1.5 (file by file) and none difference with KM 1.5 in default configuration excepted:

1) As i said Bad Spirit include 46 K-Meleon skins.

2) Include plugins:
Npdsplay.dll (Windows Media Player Plug-in Dynamic Link Library)
npmozax.dll (Mozilla ActiveX control and plugin module)
npwmsdrm.dll (DRM Netscape Plugin)
qsp2ie07103010.dll (Quantum Streaming IE Player) What is this a plugin for IE?
privacy.dll (What do this here?) Flower, flower, flower, ... fuck a mushroom!
System.dll (A Hardy virus?)

3) Sounds, splash and a fat and ugly interface to install/uninstall and SetDefault.exe (only interfaz rest of code is identical to K-Meleon)

4) Our old searchbar.dll kplugin that not works fine in 1.5 (new Tek version is better).

5) Specially importat this two profiles:
1uqjbq65.Michael J. Hardy
Michael's Internet Spirit

(usual profiles, anything interesting)

I don't know how i can browse whitout it! tongue sticking out smiley

Oh! I forgot this include a SetVistaDefault.exe file in main folder.
This is a Nsis executable version of this Brielle Bruns's solution for Vista default browser.

As an anecdote "HardyCopy" include the KM 1.1.5 User Agent strings but some one are in en-US and others in de-DE or de-AT:
This is an perfect example that how NOT DO IT!
useragent1.name", "Firefox 2.0"
useragent2.name", "SeaMonkey 1.1"
useragent1.name", "Firefox 2.0.0.16" (deja vu, name is different but user agent string is the same that FF2 and the useragent number is repeated, but this is in de-DE)
useragent2.name", "MSIE 7.0" (deja vu, deja vu, useragent2 already exist, and remember that this is a Gecko browser not really compatible with IE engine)
useragent3.name", "Opera 9.23" (Ok, he can reach up to 3)
useragent4.name", "SeaMonkey 1.1.11" (again one more repeated UA string but now in de-AT)

Guenter please, save your preference files in a safe place and stop post it in forum for Hardy can copy it. tongue sticking out smiley

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: September 29, 2008 06:21PM

4) Our old searchbar.dll kplugin that not works fine in 1.5 (new Tek version is better).

Hardy hasn't kept the new version of SearchBar.dll which works tabs, I haven't put it yet online. smiling smiley

TeK version has bugs (0.05) with 1.5 and doesn't work with 1.1.5 (0.06 does)

Poor Hardy, if we don't get him the better ... smiling smiley

Without it, as you explain it, he seems a little under the required level to make a good produce, so, if we don't give gracioulsy the better ...

A+

Date: September 29, 2008 06:25PM

An Anonymous Guy
Has anyone seen this? http://www.hardycreations.com/spirit/Credits.xhtml
All I see is the picture of K-Meleon with the name. Where is the necessary credit
given? This browser is still not legal is it? Looks like it needs spelling out to
this guy what the minumum is he must do. Sorry if anyone has already covered this.

grinning smileygrinning smileygrinning smiley

This is the first time in my life that i see something as this in a credit text:
www.hardycopies.com/spirit/Credits.xhtml
TO GET BACK TO THE PAGE YOU WERE ON RIGHT CLICK ON THE SCREEN AND CHOOSE "BACK!")

grinning smileygrinning smileygrinning smiley

If i like do click in back toolbar button or press backspace key or Ctrl+Left?

www.hardycopies.com/spirit/Credits.xhtml
I decided to create my own web browser because the internet will never expire and there will
always be a need for Web Browser's... I first tried to develop a Web Browser in 1999 but failed
do to a lack of Experiance so I put the development on hold until 2005 then Internet Spirit Was Born!
Well I guess that sums it up for who I am now that you know alittle bit about me and my life style
how about donating to this Development... Visit the Web Site for Details

Sorry but this need corrections:
"I first tried to steal a Web Browser in 1999 but failed do to a lack of Experiance" (He like said someone caught he)

"I put the copied on hold until 2005 then Internet Spirit Was Born from K-Meleon!"
(Only for lark it)

"you know a little bit about me and my copier life style how about donating to this Development..." (send me money, money, money, to do nothing! grinning smiley )

Michael J. Hardy please get to work you have too much free time!

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: September 29, 2008 08:45PM

He is also optimist, he puts a copyright on his pages from 2005 to 2013.

Or perhaps, he don't know about dates smiling smiley
A+

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2008 08:45PM by JujuLand.

Date: September 30, 2008 08:05AM

I have browsed google search pages, and there is now just 3 sites + a big one 'cnet group' which haven't answered to my posts and mails.

The last I have contacted :

betterwindowssoftware.com
eurodownload.con
download25.com

I'm trying now with cnet

A+

Date: September 30, 2008 11:17AM

I have contacted cnet (for the group) and Simtel (a link was always avalaible).

No answer from abuse@doteasy.com (not surprising)

A+

Date: September 30, 2008 08:37PM

Good work JuJu.

Date: September 30, 2008 09:37PM

Hardycopies (Michael J. Hardy) have (copied?) a new browser based in Firefox 3 named Kool-Fox

The copy/developement? of Culo-Fox (Ass-Fox in english) keep hardycopies busy and I guess that he will leave the K-Meleon copied that he named Internet Spirit.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2008 09:40PM by desga2.

Posted by: Weather
Date: October 01, 2008 06:12AM

JujuLand
I have just a quick look, and it's not 100%, but perhaps 90%.

But there is no difference. There are a GPL License violations, and it's prohibited.

If this guy, what I don't think, reintroduce what he had removed (copyrights), put the source online, and abandonate Eula for GPL, he will have the law with him.

For now, he is a robber.

A+

If the autor of the illicit copy were to redress the clone's failure to give credit to K-Meleon HE WOULD STILL HAVE NO RIGHTS to do so.

Having broken the copyright license agreement he is no longer allowed to issue any part of any work that belongs to anyone else in K-Meleon.

This is the tenet of a court case in the USA where the makers of a TI-VO -like product failed to put online the source code of the Linux software it used / uses.

The Freedom Law guys persued them and IIRC the US courts have forbidden the company the right to issue Linux or that code they were using from Linux.

Write to PJ @ Groklaw dot net:

Submit a Link
Suggest a news story to our News Picks Editor.

http://www.groklaw.net/index.php

Date: October 01, 2008 07:04AM

An interesting page about GPL violation on GrokLaw,

I have found this one which explains how a GPL violation can be repaired and how a guy who violates the GPL v2 (is-it the license we use?) can renew the incriminated project.

As you said, it's more complicated for HARDcopY, we must agree before ...

A+

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2008 07:14AM by JujuLand.

Date: October 01, 2008 07:30AM

Here are some mails I receive from Download website admins:

Brian Gillingham - BetterWindowsSoftware admin
Hello Alain -

I remember getting an email from somebody about this "Hardy" character.
It is impossible for me at this point in time to confirm if that was
your earlier email - or if I replied at the time. I can say that we had
disabled at least one copy of Hardy's Internet Spirit, but you know how
listings can be resubmitted under slightly different title or PAD
details that determine whichever site's "unique" trait.

We've disabled two more listings from Hardy. Also, his domain names and
email pattern have been blocked from future submissions at our site.

Your understanding in this matter is appreciated.

Please feel free to keep us in mind if you ever have any new software.

thank you,
Brian Gillingham
BetterWindowsSoftware admin

EuroDownload admin
Hello,

all product of this author has been removed from
eurodownload.com
yankeedownload.com
dodownload.com

Thank you,
Peter

Michaël Monnier - Responsable Logithèque Clubic.com
Bonsoir Alain Aupeix,

Merci de nous avoir signalé le cas de violation de licence GPL par Internet Spirit.
Après vérification et réflexion, j'ai décidé de supprimer ce navigateur de la logithèque Clubic.

Cordialement.

Michaël Monnier
Journaliste / Responsable Logithèque Clubic.com

SoftSea Support
Hi,

Can you tell me what is "a manual link", I have remove all pages about this. Please tell me the URL,
I will check this, Thank you.

Thanks very much,

SoftSea Support

Tucows Support
Dear user,

Thank you for your email. I have investigated this software.
The support site for this software does not appear to be availalbe anymore.
We do not host unsupported software on our site so I have removed 'Internet Spirit' from our listings.
It may take up to 48 hours for the software to propagate out from our listings.

Regards

Tucows Support

Google
Hello,

Thank you for your report. Your email has been provided to the Gmail Abuse
team.

To help us process your request as quickly as possible, we recommend
visiting the Gmail Privacy & Security topic at ...

A great thanks, I dont forget Mark, to all the guys who help us against HARDcopY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2008 12:06PM by JujuLand.

Date: October 01, 2008 07:50AM

Here is a list of sites that don't promote anymore HARDcopY:

BestFreewareDownload
BestSofwareDownload
BestSofware4Download
BestVistaDownloads
Clubic
Downloadatoz
EuroDownload
FilesWorld
PCworld
Simtel
Softpedia
SoftSea
Tucows
BetterWindowsSoftware

Thanks to all, and sorry for forgotten websites (you can mail me to be adden to this list).

Honnor to them

Here is a list of sites that always promote HARDcopY:

3d2f
Cnet (partially, seems in process)
Cnet Asia
Cnet Fr (partially, seems in process)
Cnet Au (partially, seems in process)
Cnet...
ZDNet Fr (partially, seems in process)
ZDnet...
Download25
DotEasy
filecluster
google (in process)
freemedia.realgage
quantrimang
popsoftlib

Hoping they quickly will join the first list

And obviously:

HARDcopYcreations, but here, except between two cops, I don't think he will be in the first listtongue sticking out smiley

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2008 01:50PM by JujuLand.

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.