General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: no longer kmeleon portable 1.5?
Posted by: guenter
Date: December 06, 2008 08:51AM

dreamz
but all create either an empty k-meleon folder or a mozilla folder.

K-Meleon does not write to HDD if You use a file (xpcom_core.dll) created with Visual C 6!

Please read my posts posts in this thread. Desgas2 uploaded the needed files.

K-Meleon is currently the only portable browser that can be influenced so that it does not create files (temp or profiles) on HDD.

greetings

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dreamz
Date: December 06, 2008 02:23PM

guenter
K-Meleon does not write to HDD if You use a file (xpcom_core.dll) created with Visual C 6!

Please read my posts posts in this thread. Desgas2 uploaded the needed files.

K-Meleon is currently the only portable browser that can be influenced so that it does not create files (temp or profiles) on HDD.

greetings
guenter, i already tried desgas2's files. that's why i wrote:

dreamz
i've tried several versions of the file (firefox portable, seamonkey, the old pocket k-meleon)

sorry if that wasn't clear. but those versions of the file still create the empty folders on my machine.

edit: i guess i should be more explicit. some versions create an empty folder named 'mozilla', while others create an empty folder named 'k-meleon'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2008 02:31PM by dreamz.

Posted by: gvgerman
Date: December 06, 2008 11:34PM

The method described by desga2 works well.

desga2
I don't think that a K-Meleon 1.5 portable version is needed.
You can convert standard K-Meleon 1.5 in portable easilly.

1) Download 7z file (K-Meleon without installer), and 7z localization package if you like it.
2) Unzip 7z files in your USB memory.
3) Download or copy from your computer the needed libraries (msvcp71.dll, msvcr71.dll) to your K-Meleon folder in your USB memory.
4) Create a "profile.ini" file in USB memory K-Meleon folder.
5) Now start K-Meleon from USB memory only and config; Cache, History, Cookies.

In cache, uncheck "cache files on disk" option, and set "cache files in memory" to 20 or 30 MB, optional: you can uncheck also "cache website icons on disk" option.

In history, set "Keep a list of all pages visited..." option to 0 (zero) days.

Set others privacy options as cookies and remember login data as you like it.

To add a bit more detail to his instructions, my profile.ini file contains the following information:

[Profile]
path=Profiles
isrelative=1

[Edit]: Regarding the file xpcom-core.dll, if you use the K-M version, an empty dummy K-Meleon folder is left in %apdata% folder on startup as guenter states. But, use of the Seamonkey version of xpcom-core.dll leaves an empty dummy Mozilla folder in the same location. To my knowledge, there is no work-around; either way, your leaving an empty folder.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2008 12:49AM by gvgerman.

Date: December 08, 2008 10:18PM

thank you, gvgerman, for confirming the issue. it seems that, either way, an empty folder is created.

another obstacle to making k-meleon fully portable is that flash-related folders are created in the application data folder. on my machine, i have two: adobe and macromedia. they seem to be cache folders. is it possible to prevent them from being created?

Posted by: desga2
Date: December 08, 2008 11:04PM

dreamz
another obstacle to making k-meleon fully portable is that flash-related folders are created in the application data folder. on my machine, i have two: adobe and macromedia. they seem to be cache folders. is it possible to prevent them from being created?

Search in K-Meleon forum, i read something about this.
I think remember this depend of your Flash version (9.1.115 not created this folders)

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: December 09, 2008 02:35AM

i've tried a number of versions (8, 9.0.16.0, 9.0.47.0, 9.0.124.0, etc., extracted from the archives from the adobe site), but none of them work. also, i searched, but i couldn't find anything about which flash version to use.

where can i get a good version of the file?

Date: December 09, 2008 12:33PM

gvgerman
Regarding the file xpcom-core.dll, if you use the K-M version, an empty dummy K-Meleon folder is left in %apdata% folder on startup as guenter states. But, use of the Seamonkey version of xpcom-core.dll leaves an empty dummy Mozilla folder in the same location.

I never looked for a Mozilla dummy. :mad:

Sorry for posting wrong info.

IMHO a old Mozilla bug.

I checked - a dummy is created since K-Meleon 0.6.5. Here only 0.6 does not do it
and that version is far to old for practical purposes sad smiley

So we are no further than anyone else - and can only use the starter/remover exe from portable apps. The firefox version should work if the ini is edited or K-Meleon.exe and folder renamed to Firefox.

Posted by: soccerfan
Date: December 09, 2008 02:46PM

guenter
gvgerman
Regarding the file xpcom-core.dll, if you use the K-M version, an empty dummy K-Meleon folder is left in %apdata% folder on startup as guenter states. But, use of the Seamonkey version of xpcom-core.dll leaves an empty dummy Mozilla folder in the same location.

I never looked for a Mozilla dummy. :mad:

I checked - a dummy is created since K-Meleon 0.6.5. Here only 0.6 does not do it
and that version is far to old for practical purposes sad smiley

jujuland's 1.1.x portable versions use an xpcom-core.dll
that does not create any of these dummy folders AFAIK.
I wonder if that could be updated to work with 1.5.x.
Just a thoughtsad smiley

soccerfan

Date: December 09, 2008 08:05PM

soccerfan
jujuland's 1.1.x portable versions use an xpcom-core.dll
that does not create any of these dummy folders AFAIK.
I wonder if that could be updated to work with 1.5.x.
Just a thoughtsad smiley

Are you sure, are you tried it?

I tested JujuLand's xpcom-core.dll 1.1.3 (last Fast) portable version and work with 1.5.0.
JujuLand's xpcom-core.dll 1.1.3 is a Seamonkey 1.1.1pre file Gecko 1.8.1.2pre: 2007011111
And also i tested with Seamonkey 1.1.1 Gecko 1.8.1.2: 2007022206 and work with 1.5.0

Tried it: Download xpcom_core2.zip

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2008 08:13PM by desga2.

Date: December 09, 2008 08:59PM

dreamz
i've tried a number of versions (8, 9.0.16.0, 9.0.47.0, 9.0.124.0, etc., extracted from the archives from the adobe site), but none of them work. also, i searched, but i couldn't find anything about which flash version to use.

where can i get a good version of the file?

I cann't found the mentionated post. Yes you can download Flash Player archives but i only remember was a 9 version.

But I found this that I hope can help you: Settings Manager for Flash Player.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: December 09, 2008 09:43PM

desga2
I tested JujuLand's xpcom-core.dll 1.1.3 (last Fast) portable version and work with 1.5.0.
JujuLand's xpcom-core.dll 1.1.3 is a Seamonkey 1.1.1pre file Gecko 1.8.1.2pre: 2007011111
And also i tested with Seamonkey 1.1.1 Gecko 1.8.1.2: 2007022206 and work with 1.5.0

Tried it: Download xpcom_core2.zip

@desga2,
Thanks for the download link to the two versions.
Are you saying that these versions create dummy folders also?

soccerfan

Date: December 10, 2008 08:40AM

I didn't tried, can you try it?

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: December 10, 2008 01:35PM

desga2
I didn't tried, can you try it?

OK, I tried it and an empty 'mozilla' folder is created. hmmm

soccerfan

Date: December 11, 2008 04:04AM

i can confirm that even pocket k-meleon creates an empty folder.

desga2
I cann't found the mentionated post. Yes you can download Flash Player archives but i only remember was a 9 version.

But I found this that I hope can help you: Settings Manager for Flash Player.
thanks, desga2. i tried that settings manager, but the folders are still created. it would be great if k-meleon could block these shared objects from being created.

Date: December 11, 2008 01:46PM

IMHO, K-M run with a portable / relative profile provides the best trade-off on speed, size, usability, feature availability, and data left on the computer. An empty K-M folder or an empty Mozilla folder (depending on the dll) is insignificant - and if it is bothersome, use a program like Portidy to remove the dummy folder "automatically" when the USB is disconnected.

I've been running so-called portable / pocket programs exclusively for a couple years now and I don't know of any browser that I'd truly care to use - and I've tried about all of them - that leaves absolutely nothing at all on the disc after use. Even programs that use scripts to clean the user app area when the browser is closed can often leave history related data in the registry. A problem with the script approach is if the browser crashes during use, all the data is left on the disk. Better to leave a dummy / empty folder, I suppose.

As a side note, a problem Firefox has is that many of the browser plug-ins can be problematic. And almost no one runs FF without plug-ins. Several of the popular plug-ins - anything related to Google, for instance (there are others, as well) - leave information on the disc. K-M has the best features built-in or available via macros. I am really impressed with the update to the macro page and the variety of macros available for K-M. Does anyone know who did the work there? Very well done - Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2008 02:11PM by gvgerman.

Date: December 11, 2008 06:06PM

@ dreamz:
You can created a little macro to call a little tool in AutoIt3 at exit your K-Meleon "Portable". ("OnQuit" event)
This AutoIt tool can check if %appdata%\Mozilla or %appdata%\K-Meleon folder was created and delete it if this is empty.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2008 11:05PM by desga2.

Date: December 11, 2008 11:02PM

DirRemover.kmm
# K-Meleon Macros (http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=MacroLanguage)

# ---------- DirRemover for K-Meleon Portables ----------------------------------------------------
#
# Dependencies : -
# Resources : -
# Preferences : -
#
# -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

# ----- PRIVATE

_DirRemover{
	exec(getfolder("RootFolder") . "\\tools\\DirRemover.exe");
}

$OnQuit=$OnQuit."_DirRemover;";

# -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$macroModules=$macroModules."DirRemover;";

DirRemover.au3 (for compile with AutoIt3 to created DirRemover.exe)
;===============================================================================
;
; Description:      KMPortable DirRemover v.1.0
; Requirement(s):   Autoit 3.2.12.1
; Original Author(s):  desga2
;
;===============================================================================

#NoTrayIcon ; Hide TryIcon

$size = DirGetSize(@AppDataDir & "\K-Meleon", 3)
If IsArray($size) Then
	; Delete @AppDataDir\K-Meleon and all subdirs and files	
	If ($size[0]=0 And $size[1]=0 And $size[2]=0) Then DirRemove(@AppDataDir & "\K-Meleon", 1)
EndIf

;~ $array[0] = Size
;~ $array[1] = Files count
;~ $array[2] = Dirs Count
$size = DirGetSize(@AppDataDir & "\Mozilla", 3)
If IsArray($size) Then
;~     Msgbox(0,"DirGetSize-Info","Size(Bytes):" & $size[0] & @LF _
;~         & "Files:" & $size[1] & @LF & "Dirs:" & $size[2])
	; Delete @AppDataDir\Mozilla and all subdirs and files	
	If ($size[0]=0 And $size[1]=0 And $size[2]=0) Then DirRemove(@AppDataDir & "\Mozilla", 1)
EndIf

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2008 11:09PM by desga2.

Date: December 14, 2008 05:46PM

thanks for that, desga2! the folders aren't that bothersome, but i appreciate the work and i'll check it out.

another strategy might be to change the permissions on the application data folder to prevent the folders and files from being created. but i'm not sure if this is possible.

Date: December 22, 2008 08:49PM

Well, now here again!
Please, can someone test this xpcom-core.dll file modified by me for not created empty folder in K-Meleon portable?

(Original file xpcom-core.dll from K-Meleon 1.5.2RC2)

K-Meleon in Spanish

Re: K-Meleon portable "empty folder bug" fixed
Date: December 22, 2008 10:04PM

I always thought You were law maker not program maker grinning smiley

desga2
... can someone test this xpcom-core.dll file modified by me for not created empty folder in K-Meleon portable?

Yes I can - but not with portable smiling smiley

AFAIK You can test this with any K-Meleon that has a profile.ini.
(To test m:droolyawning smileyve away K-Meleon Profile from %APDATA%, ad profile.ini to K-M folder and You can look yourself).

PC OS updated XP corporate. K-Meleon did not create the empty folder!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2008 10:10PM by guenter.

Date: December 22, 2008 10:54PM

guenter
I always thought You were law maker not program maker grinning smiley

Enaitz Jar is a law maker, I'm a programer. smiling smiley

guenter
Yes I can - but not with portable smiling smiley

AFAIK You can test this with any K-Meleon that has a profile.ini.
(To test m:droolyawning smileyve away K-Meleon Profile from %APDATA%, ad profile.ini to K-M folder and You can look yourself).

PC OS updated XP corporate. K-Meleon did not create the empty folder!

I know it, but I don't like test "my programs" (this is really only a little modification in file), I only make it. tongue sticking out smiley
(In software developement programming and test task should not be carried out by the same person. This the way to reach the best results.) smiling smiley

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: December 22, 2008 11:12PM

desga2
Enaitz Jar is a law maker, I'm a programer. smiling smiley

I did not remember grinning smiley&sad smiley

desga2
I know it, but I don't like test "my programs" (this is really only a little modification in file), I only make it. tongue sticking out smiley

Then it should be made as standart - I installed 1.5.2 on USB, applied update and the patched file. It can start on o:/ or e:/ with the same profile - maybe make portable K-Meleon a choice in setup?

desga2
(In software developement programming and test task should not be carried out by the same person. This the way to reach the best results.) smiling smiley

Yes - but I am the worst tester ever. I am either lucky and do not have a bug anyone else has - else I do not see it and think it is normal grinning smiley

Two more tests done - works for K-Meleon.exe for 9x (tested with ME, XP and Win2000). K-Meleon.exe for NT Works for Win2000 SP4.
The later is good news to You.
AFAIK that is Your system. I had to inform You since You did not test. tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2008 11:18PM by guenter.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: December 23, 2008 01:38AM

@ desga2

desga2

Well, now here again!
Please, can someone test this xpcom-core.dll file modified by me for not created empty folder in K-Meleon portable?

I copied the new dll file to the memory stick with KM and then made sure there was not kmeleon folder in Doc&setting. I ran KM from the stick then shut it down. There was no kmeleon folder in Doc&setting. Any additional testing that I need to do?

Date: December 23, 2008 03:00AM

it works! i'm using xp pro sp3 and k-meleon 1.5.2rc2. no more empty folder. i couldn't believe it, so i tested it several times.

nice work. smiling smiley

Date: December 23, 2008 03:23AM

@ desga2,
I also confirm that it works. Well done!
I find that using it seems to result in a delay, though, when the first url site is opened vs. the original file. Does this seem possible?
Thanks,

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2008 05:21AM by gvgerman.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: December 23, 2008 02:05PM

gvgrman
I find that using it seems to result in a delay, though, when the first url site is opened vs. the original file. Does this seem possible?

I thought that was because my USB memory stick is slow. It was a very long time to show page.

Date: December 23, 2008 03:40PM

@ desga2
@ JamesD

Using desga2's xpcom-core.dll file mod, I only seem to notice the lag on the 1st url that is opened - perhaps 2 to 3 seconds (a guess). Once you move on to the second url, the speed seems to be the same as the original xpcom-core.dll file - or at least I can't tell the difference. I switched the two files perhaps a dozen times and it seemed to be rather consistent. It is sometimes hard to tell, though, as the delay could be due to Windows, servers, etc.

I notice no other issues and can say that the program was stable with the file mod and it indeed eliminates the empty K-M folder situation.

Date: December 23, 2008 05:48PM

Ejem... I only like note that in K-Meleon Portable 1.5.0 Dev Test 1 by Travis Carrico this indicate in his release notes:

Release Notes:
1.5.0 Development Test 1 (2008-08-13)

* updated to 1.5.0 final
* fixed how it left an empty AppData folder
* added in AdBlock Plus as a multi-installer option

I checked that K-Meleon Portable 1.5.0 use standar K-Meleon 1.5.0 xpcom_core.dll file but compressed with upx.

Had been tested by someone if the empty AppData folder is created really in this K-Meleon Portable version?
I am curious as it has been able to do so without modifying xpcom_core.dll file.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: December 23, 2008 07:48PM

@desga2

Sorry, I can't be of much help on the portableapps version. I don't use the programs that they repackage, most of which can be run from a USB without their particular formating scheme - as you well know with K-M.

I suspect - but don't know for sure - that some of the programs found on their site use scripts in the start-up exe file to clean-up after the programs just like Opera@USB does. AFAIK, that would be the only way to clean-up after Firefox. As you know, Firefox can be run on a USB with a local profile using the -profile "path" command line argument (found here). But even with a local profile set-up as prescribed by Mozilla, FF leaves items on the hard drive. Portableapps version supposedly doesn't leave folders; so they either re-write and re-compile - which they say they don't do - or they use scripts in the start-up exe to clean-up when the program is closed. A programmer might look at the portableapps source code to confirm if this is so.

For more information on clean-up after USB programs, Andreas Boerner wrote a small program entitled, Portidy, (Souceforge) that is simple to understand and use and does a very good job. He included several scripts based on several available programs at the time the software was last released. You can see from the number of scripts included (and, indeed, not nearly all are represented) that several USB programs are not as "clean" as perhaps advertised. The advantage of Portidy is that it does its' work when it is closed or when the USB stick is pulled from the port.

Even with the empty K-M folder, K-M is the cleanest browser I know of. Chromium is about as clean (using both incognito and profile path command line arguments Chromium leaves pre-fetch info and a shut-down log file), but Chromium has many usage and feature issues still remaining to be resolved. Also, the Chromium folder is over 2x the size of the K-M folder in use.

Sorry if I write too much ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2008 07:48PM by gvgerman.

Date: December 23, 2008 08:15PM

Ok I know, thanks gvgerman for the info.

Do someone know if Thunderbird portable use xpcom_core.dll file and if this generate an empty Mozilla folder in APPDATA folder?

I downloaded K-Meleon 1.5.0 Portable, I did some test (I can look like created this empty folder on launch and deleted it when exit) and I look in his sources.
K-Meleon Portable is launched with a NSIS generated exe, in this NSIS source you can see how this NSIS launch delete K-Meleon empty folder in APPDATA folder when K-Meleon is closed:

Var KMAPPDATAEXISTS
Parameters:
	StrCpy $EXECSTRING '$EXECSTRING -profilesDir "$SETTINGSDIRECTORY"'
	StrCmp $SECONDARYLAUNCH "true" LaunchAndExit
	IfFileExists "$APPDATA\K-Meleon" "" CheckKey1
	StrCpy "$KMAPPDATAEXISTS" "true"
MoveBack:
	Rename "$PROGRAMDIRECTORY\components\compreg.dat" "$SETTINGSDIRECTORY\compreg.dat"
	Rename "$PROGRAMDIRECTORY\components\xpti.dat" "$SETTINGSDIRECTORY\xpti.dat"
	StrCmp "$KMAPPDATAEXISTS" "true" TheEnd
	RMDir "$APPDATA\K-Meleon"
	Goto TheEnd

P.S.: I don't like K-Meleon Portable, it took almost 5 minutes to launch K-Meleon. :O
I didn't expect so much since I had an Amstrad CPC 464 with tape times. tongue sticking out smiley
Do you remember? - Oh! "Loading..." I can go to picnic. smiling smiley

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2008 11:06PM by desga2.

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.