General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Can't open Fav's in a New Window.
Posted by: caktus
Date: October 20, 2008 05:30PM

I am using KM 1.5.1.

I have set "Open Favorites in a new window" at both Preferences > Browsing Options > General tab, and IE Favorites plugin. But when I click on a link in the IE Favorites, the link opens in a new Tab rather than a new window.

Could some one please help me open Favorites in a "new Window?"

Thanks.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can't open Fav's in a New Window.
Posted by: disrupted
Date: October 21, 2008 01:34PM

hi charlie, i've tested this and it didn't have any problems opening in new window from favourites.. check to see if you might be using an older 1.5.0 favourites plugin instead of the one that ships with 1.5.1.. also look into the profile folder and see if prefs.js attributes are set to read only in the property sheet.

Date: October 23, 2008 02:30AM

@ Disrupted

Thank you for responding. "Can't open Fav's in a New Window." is nolonger a problem. I don't what was causing it, but it is no longer a problem as SP 3 had made my machine very irradic (after I had deleted the Uninstall files, of course) and I had to reinstall Windows XP. Then MS Update forced me to again install SP 3 before it would feed me any other Updates. Perhaps (and hopefully) this new install of SP 3 will not cause problems as it is different somehow. The old SP 3 was a about 330 MB and not form the MS "Update" page (but was from MS), I think perhaps it was a special version for developers. This new install of SP 3 is only about 30MB, and I won't be deleting the Uninstall files.

I have reinstalled and customized 1.5.1 and I am now faced with a different problem. Previously I could click on an internet link in an email and it would open in a new Tab as long as a Window was open, which I liked. But now all email links open in a new Window. I cannot remember what I did to make email links open in a new Tab, or rather it was due to a setting in 1.5.1 or OE. But I would appreciate any help to make email links open in a new Tab.

Thank you.

P.S. Yesterday I read that many computers are having problems with SP 3, particularly regarding connection issues. One of the problems which I was also experiencing was "Page cannot be found." This would occur with all browsers desipte the fact that all indications reflected that an Internet connection was present.

Charlie

Date: October 23, 2008 04:43AM

yeah, i heard sp3 is a nightmare that's why i'm staying clear from it, actually the important security updates can all be downloaded separately without sp3.
it's not a good package, it cripples zonealarm, some hp peripherals' drivers and ati's catalyst.. the driver would still work but you'd no longer have control over your graphics card; i even read somewhere that amd machines were rendered useless without being able to boot.

ms sez the manufacturers should update their software but obviously it's a botched job. if you have bigfix http://www.tucows.com/preview/208920 you can use to stay up-to-date with patches without the need for microsoft's messy packs.

check to see that all your peripherals, drivers and software are working as they should, if they are..that's fine, keep sp3.. but if you notice anything acting jittery then perhaps you should uninstall it and just apply the security patches separately without the rest of the junk that comes bundled in.

as for oe, you just need to set open passed urls in new tab in kmeleon preferences

EDIT: remember, if you decide to uninstall sp3, you must do a registry restore witj erunt

EDIT2: and disable windows update http://www.theeldergeek.com/disable_automatic_update.htm

EDIT3: browsers not connecting might be due to sp3 enabling the windows firewall and not allwing exceptions, open windows firewall from the control panel, if you have another firewall then disable it, if you want to keep it enabled just make sure that don't allow exceptions is unchecked:

Date: October 23, 2008 07:18PM

@ Disrupted

Thanks for the detailed reply.

OE links are now opening in a new Tab as desired. smiling smiley

And thanks for the warning to BU and restore with ERUNT when removing SP3.

I have an OEM installed Bugfix. But I have it disabled as it seemed to slow some apps while searching for and downloading/installing Updates. And usually I prefer to Update on my own schedule. I don't even remember how I disabled it, perhaps when I disabled the Security Center which kept delivering warnings weather I wanted them or not. And some Updates I either don't want, or prefer to get from other sources. And I usually like to browse the Windows (non-critical) Updates. BTW, the OEM installed Bugfix is 4.11MB where as the Bugfix at Twocows is only 2.61MB. I wonder if the OEM version has allocated some of the vertual mem, or has someting added to "enhance my Internet experience."

Charlie

Date: October 23, 2008 09:57PM

er.. i don't know this bugfix, i use bigfix(the one at tucows).. it's not a service or anything like that.. you run it manually like any application and it just compares the installed patches on your machine to the ones released on microsoft for your specific os and then displays a list of the uninstalled patches in an html format, downloading/installing them is completely up to you and done manually.. it doesn't do anything behind your back. it\s a very old program before xp was even released.

this is a snapshot so you can see if it's the same as bugfix:

as you can tell, i don't care much about installing ms patches.. if it's not broken, i don't fix it tongue sticking out smiley

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.