General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
why the kmeleon browser has few users?
Posted by: ellaben
Date: October 31, 2008 12:36AM

Such a good browser as the k meleon has a poor market share in the browser line. it made me confused. because it is so fast, so little storage, so easy-to-use. in my opinion, it should be the prompt market strategy with shortcoming.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: why the kmeleon browser has few users?
Posted by: ndebord
Date: October 31, 2008 03:32AM

KM has been the browser that has listened to the beat of a different drummer, IMO.

It decided from the get go to use a macro language instead of XML/XPI extensions because the first developer and those that followed realized that emulation overhead would slow down the Gecko engine. This was not the path that Mozilla took and as such, KM has always been a love affair between end users and usually one developer at a time. This is a constant that has characterized KM since its roots.

SO, in short, KM is a community of afficiandos and a developer and those who help the developer. It has not looked for (IMO) nor found commercial success, but it has achieved an extremely loyal following of people who appreciate its virtues (speed and widely configurable macro language).

Just my two cents worth and others, I am sure, will jump in and elaborate or contradict my personal opinions.

<g>

N

Posted by: canmar
Date: October 31, 2008 11:21AM

ndebord,
I must certainly agree with your assessment of why k-m has such fierce loyalty among its users, but a rather modest market share. Although my personal computing situation has changed recently, as I finally bit the budget bullet and purchased a new PC with tons of RAM and a quad core processor (quite a leap from my previous Win98 machine with very limited resources), I have gotten so used to k-m's ease of use, speed, and fantastic user forums, that I cannot imagine using any other browser. The fact that it has a smaller fan base, IMO, is a distinct advantage, since proposed changes are well researched and thought out, and not decided by various divisional committees, which tends to confuse user "wants" with "needs", thereby bloating the browser. Once again, many thanks to the deveopment team, and PLEASE, everyone, let's not push too hard for a large market share, so we can keep the best browser in the world "our little secret"!! ;-)

Posted by: caktus
Date: October 31, 2008 03:26PM

@ ellaben

Welcome to KM and the forum.

Another point that I seldom consider is that for years now, people have been warning of the dangers regarding the use of macros, usually regarding Word and other word processing applications. I have even known some people to actually scorn the use of macros. And while macros can in fact be mis-uesed and abused, I beleive the Internet world has given them a bad rap.sad smiley And many people think that macros are always a security risk. But I personally have never heard of macros actually being mis-used.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Posted by: Anonymous User
Date: October 31, 2008 10:33PM

I code in MASM32 which is a low level language. It basically does not use Macros. But contains a Macro capability. Now that Microsoft has crammed APIs down our
throat MASM32 must use those Macros. All high level languages are nothing but a series of Macros. This in itself is not a bad thing as the function of a Macro is
to not have to code repeatative code over and over again.
If you meant something else by Macos I apolgize.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: November 01, 2008 05:03PM

@ jps

I think KM's macros and MacroLanguage is a little different from what you think. KM's MacroLanguage allows users to run interactive scripts for many purposes. You can find the MacroLanguage here. http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/MacroLanguage2
You can find how some users have used it here. http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/MacroLibrary

In the folder called "macros" which is under the K-Meleon folder you can see how the developers have used the MacroLanguage.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.