General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Switching from Opera to KM
Posted by: randomuser
Date: November 02, 2008 04:17AM

I've been following the development of this little browser for quite a while now and finally decided to switch. I've grown very accustomed to Opera's UI and the way it handles things and I'd like to keep (most of) it they way I know it.

1. Is there any way to make the address bar active as soon as I open a new tab? Just so I can start typing immediately after pressing CTRL+T without having to click the address bar field beforehand?

2. I know there's a bug that disables the single-window mode. Can I change the CTRL N shortcut so that it opens a new tab by default without even having to use the single-window mode? I edited the accel.cfg file and entered this code:

%ifplugin tabs
MButton = ID_OPEN_LINK_IN_BACKGROUNDTAB
CTRL N = layers(Open);
%endif

Unfortunately this workaround doesn't work. I kind of disabled the key for now (by using a command that doesn't really do anything), but I'm curious if there's any other way to fix this little issue.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Switching from Opera to KM
Posted by: JujuLand
Date: November 02, 2008 08:55AM

If you use 1.5.x, layers are replaced (by default) by tabs, so, you can't use layers function call.

I don't remember what is the command, but someone can give you the answer.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Posted by: desga2
Date: November 02, 2008 01:50PM

All references to 1.5.X versions:

randomuser
1. Is there any way to make the address bar active as soon as I open a new tab? Just so I can start typing immediately after pressing CTRL+T without having to click the address bar field beforehand?

When you use Ctrl+T to open a new tab, address bar is selected automatically by default for you can type in it. Also you can select URL bar with F6 key.

randomuser
2. I know there's a bug that disables the single-window mode. Can I change the CTRL N shortcut so that it opens a new tab by default without even having to use the single-window mode? I edited the accel.cfg file and entered this code:

%ifplugin tabs
CTRL N = layers(Open);
%endif

Unfortunately this workaround doesn't work. I kind of disabled the key for now (by using a command that doesn't really do anything), but I'm curious if there's any other way to fix this little issue.

As JujuLand said, in 1.5.X version we use tabs (not layer like in 1.1.X versions).
To do that you like go to Edit -> Configuration -> Accelerators, and add at the en of file this code:
%ifplugin tabs
CTRL N = ID_NEW_TAB
%endif

NOTE: Accelerators sentences not use semicolon at the end, this is only for macros.

Save changes in file and restart K-Meleon to changes take effect.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2008 01:51PM by desga2.

Date: November 02, 2008 08:45PM

desga2
When you use Ctrl+T to open a new tab, address bar is selected automatically by default for you can type in it. Also you can select URL bar with F6 key.

I had a 'load this page' option ticked with my pseudo-SpeedDial in every new tab I opened. Works fine after reverting to the default option of displaying a blank page.

desga2
As JujuLand said, in 1.5.X version we use tabs (not layer like in 1.1.X versions).
To do that you like go to Edit -> Configuration -> Accelerators, and add at the en of file this code (...)

Thanks, works perfectly now.

There is one more thing I forgot to ask about in my previous post. Is there any way to display the speed the page is being loaded at along with the amount of data transfered in the status bar? One of the nicest features in Opera.

They have an addon for this in Firefox, this is what it looks like:
- Firefox Extended Statusbar for Firefox

I can live without it, but it'd be nice to have something like this.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: November 02, 2008 09:10PM

randomuser
There is one more thing I forgot to ask about in my previous post. Is there any way to display the speed the page is being loaded at along with the amount of data transfered in the status bar? One of the nicest features in Opera.

I don't know about speed, but I did a macro for page load time. It is in this thread. http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,84307

Posted by: caktus
Date: November 03, 2008 06:18AM

@ randomuser

I am thinking of trying out the new version of Opera 962 int. What version of Opera are you switching from? If you are switching from 962, what has caused you to switch?

Thanks.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Posted by: Dorian
Date: November 03, 2008 03:14PM

randomuser

In about:config, set kmeleon.display.NewWindowHasUrlFocus" to true.

Posted by: alternativo
Date: November 03, 2008 05:39PM

@randomuser:
I'd like to have this "pseudo-SpeedDial" too. Could you help me?

Date: November 03, 2008 11:15PM

caktus
What version of Opera are you switching from?

The last version of Opera I was using was 9.61, however I did try 9.62 and it behaved exactly the same. My system is clean (actually reinstalled it not long ago) and I keep the browser up to date, but instead of becoming more and more stable with every (ironically) stable release, it's going the opposite way -- I get random crashes out of nowhere that leave me with part of the tabs I had open at the time of the crash totally emptied (session manager doesn't always work the way it should). And so I've decided to settle for a browser that has an equally small memory footprint, has a little less features and some of the ones I really liked are missing, but at least doesn't crash abruptly at the least expected moments (hopefully).

alternativo
I'd like to have this "pseudo-SpeedDial" too. Could you help me?

It didn't really look like Opera's Speed Dial with the fancy miniatures and whatnot. What I did was make a very simple html page (and set it to be loaded in every newly opened tab) with a centered table element split into two columns and links in each of them so that I could quickly middleclick the ones I liked and then browse through the tabs that loaded in the background. You can of course add pretty screenshots of the webpages you wanna have in there or even do a new roll-over effects and stuffs.

Posted by: Arrow
Date: November 04, 2008 05:21AM

Hao's ccfme k-meleon has speed dial

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,83269

But even so like you I have made my own html link page with clickable thumbnails - I don't need the thumbnails to update each time I open the browser

however I prefer to use keyboard shortcuts to launch urls - it's quicker, I've rigged up approx 33 of them grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2008 05:23AM by Arrow.

Posted by: caktus
Date: November 04, 2008 06:07AM

@ randomuser

Spent most of the day using Opera 962 and came to pretty much the same conclusion. I guess the biggest problem I had was that all tabs would open in the background with no appearant means to have them open in focus. I figure it is just another McDonald's of big name browsers trying so hard to be everything to everyone that there is no sence of simplicity or orderly logic. I found the FF 3.1b to be pretty much the same. I always find I have good reason to keep using KM.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

SpeedDial for K-Meleon.
Date: November 05, 2008 07:07PM

I modified a little Hao's SpeedDial for K-Meleon CCF.
Originally this already work in K-Meleon official versions, but i cleaned the code and deleted Google Ads. Also I included some images for color themes from original My12 not included by Hao in his SpeedDial for CCF.

Thanks to Hao and his original author guilherme1712 (My12 author)

For install only download zip file and unzip in your K-Meleon installation folder.
After you set \K-Meleon\speeddial\speddial.htm file as your home page.

Download SpeedDial for K-Meleon.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Re: SpeedDial for K-Meleon.
Posted by: panzer
Date: November 05, 2008 07:43PM

It works. Thanx.

Date: November 05, 2008 07:46PM

One question: Does profile backup save speedial files as well?

Date: November 05, 2008 08:20PM

@ panzer:
I don't know how exactlly work Profile Backup but if you like know where SpeedDial save his setting pages this be saved as a cookie.

If you like save all SpeedDial files you can moved "speeddial" folder to your K-Meleon profile folder. If Profile Backup save all folders and files in your profile SpeedDial folder will saved also.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2008 08:24PM by desga2.

Date: November 05, 2008 08:27PM

Ok. Thank you.

Date: November 05, 2008 08:33PM

It works. Only home page has to be changed to \K-Meleon\Profiles\speeddial.

Posted by: chinarobin
Date: November 07, 2008 03:38AM

desga2
I modified a little Hao's SpeedDial for K-Meleon CCF.
Originally this already work in K-Meleon official versions, but i cleaned the code and deleted Google Ads. Also I included some images for color themes from original My12 not included by Hao in his SpeedDial for CCF.

Thanks to Hao and his original author guilherme1712 (My12 author)

For install only download zip file and unzip in your K-Meleon installation folder.
After you set \K-Meleon\speeddial\speddial.htm file as your home page.

Download SpeedDial for K-Meleon.

but it doesn't work in CCF version, why?

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.