General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
HowTo: Upgrade to latest keeping the settings unchanged
Posted by: shekhar_who
Date: November 13, 2008 01:56PM

Hi, I'm using K-Meleon 1.5.0 and wish to upgrade it to version 1.5.1. I'm worried that on executing the latest installer I might lose all configurations, username/passwords, plugins, etc. What precautions do I need to take? Should I copy the current K-Meleon folder or certain setting folders like profiles, plugins, kplugins, macros, default?

Please advice.

Thanks
Sukhjinder....

http://sukhjinder.cn/letsyo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HowTo: Upgrade to latest keeping the settings unchanged
Posted by: disrupted
Date: November 13, 2008 02:35PM

download this:

extract it into the kmeleon folder, restart kmeleon.
after restarting click on the edit menu> select 'profile backup'
and choose to backup your current profile from the dialog which will follow.

now upgrade to 1.5.1 in whatever way you deem suitable-dirty install on top, or copying and replacing files manually etc

now that you've upgraded, select edit> profile backup and this time choose restore previous backup.

Need more help
Date: December 04, 2008 11:52AM

My profile is stored in "C:\Program Files\K-Meleon\Profiles\6rhgfboa.default". I tried both portable and non-portable version of the macro. With both I do get an option under Edit -> "Profiles Backup..."
With the portable version KMeleon gave an error on line 12 of the macro "profileback.kmm". When I click on Edit -> "Profiles Backup..." I dont get anything.

If you can tell me which files/folders do I have to backup (and later restore) before installing version 1.5.1, I can do it manually.

Please note I want to keep my Favs, Hotlinks, passwords, settings, plugins, macros, etc when I upgrade.

If think, if it is not in the installer of Kmeleon, this "preserve profile" feature should be implemented.

Thanks...

Posted by: guenter
Date: December 04, 2008 09:51PM

shekhar_who
Hi, I'm using K-Meleon 1.5.0 and wish to upgrade it to version 1.5.1.

You can proceed as already suggested.

They are compatible to each other. The later is a bugfix & improvement.
They can use each others profiles.

------------

There are also some alternatives.

If You want to use default name/location? Just backup the complete

shekhar_who
C:\Program Files\K-Meleon\Profiles\6rhgfboa.default

folder and

C:\Program Files\K-Meleon\profile.ini

file to a safe location - if anything goes wrong copy all back before You first start the new 1.5.1 version. You can also delete a corrupted profile - to do this.
As long as You have a fresh backup there is no problem to go back.

The Profile Backup extension intends to automatically update the files inside a profile backup (I always forgot to do it:madsmiling smiley. It overwrites after one week.
---------------------

Since You have No Multy User Support but Your Profile in K-Meleon folder:

shekhar_who
C:\Program Files\K-Meleon\Profiles\6rhgfboa.default

You can alternatively give the new K-Meleon's folder a new name e.g.:
C:\Program Files\K-Meleon1.5.1

That way You have 2 working K-Meleons. Now start 1.5.1 so that it creates a profile. Then You want to alter it to use Your old settings.

For that You use(redirect to old location), copy or alter files.

Favs ? =
IE favorites = are kept by system /nothing to do.
Favicon = IconCache.dat (copy)
Bookmarks = bookmarks.html (copy or redirect)
Hotlinks = *.adr (have no idea what current name - AFAIremember extension *.adr.)(copy or redirect)

passwords = 7945554.s (number is random - You copy paste content into new *.s) If Masterpass is used also copy the 3 *.db to new profile.

settings = which (have a look in prefs.js & re-use those lines that do not point to a specific location on hdd).
plugins = copy.
macros = which (copy if it is the same major version // it is the same 1.5.x! smiling smiley )

p.s. I use the same setup as You. I copy&paste passwords and some files. I have relocated some settings like my favorite toolbar layout, speed tweaks, bookmarks location (user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.bookmarks.bookmarkFile", "I:\\K-Meleonde-DE1.1.4de-de\\Profiles\\default\\tmickfmu.slt\\bookmarks.html"); ).... into a user.js - that is also in profile & settings there override all. They can be edited by the user. And I copy this user.js file to new K-Meleon profiles. All my K-Meleons are set to reuse some ancient tweaks, layouts and the bookmarks.html in an old K-Meleon's Profile.

I set the rest to my liking via Preferences panels's interfaces (that is fastest).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2008 09:57PM by guenter.

Date: December 07, 2008 12:54PM

OK Now I installed 1.5.1 in "C:\Program Files\K-Meleon 1.5.1" copied the profiles folder (and profile.ini)from the old 1.5.0 to 1.5.1 folder. Also copied my skins folder to the new location. Reinstalled all my plugins again.

Do I need to copy chrome or any other folder as well for my plugins/macros as they might put some files there?

Thanks...

Posted by: guenter
Date: December 08, 2008 09:44PM

shekhar_who
Reinstalled all my plugins again.

Do I need to copy chrome or any other folder as well for my plugins/macros as they might put some files there?

Guess installing plugins was faster than a file compare.

AFAIK no - but You could update it with 1.5.2 RC smiling smiley
which has newer GRE newer RSS and fixed some bugs.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.