General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
please explain bookmarks, favorites, hotlist! what a mess!
Posted by: superbad
Date: November 15, 2008 09:31PM

i'm really confused here. i don't know what the programers of k-meleon were thinking when they designed the bookmarks system, but it's a mess. i know that i can "import" my bookmarks from ie, opera, and netscape (also firefox, but that's yet another level of consusion!). but there doesn't seem to be any set of bookmarks for k-meleon itself. where are those stored? why can't i open ONE window, which will show me all my bookmarks, favorites, hotlinks, etc, and let me move them around and fix them and set them up into folders?

furthermore, the import from netscape (which also includes firefox, which makes absolutely no sense) imported a set of bookmarks into my toolbar that are about a year old. i have no idea where they came from or how k-meleon found them, since this is a new computer and i moved my ff profile over from my old computer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: please explain bookmarks, favorites, hotlist! what a mess!
Posted by: desga2
Date: November 15, 2008 10:59PM

If you are using Firefox you are using Netscape bookmarks type. (Hotlist is for Opera users and Favorites for IE users)
In K-Meleon go to menu Bookmarks -> Edit ... to show a window with all your bookmarks and you can modified it.

Please continue in this thread for solved your Firefox bookmarks import problem.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: guenter
Date: November 16, 2008 01:05PM

superbad
what the programers of k-meleon were thinking when they designed the bookmarks system

They intended that K-Meleon can use the Bookmarks of Netscape, the Hotlist of Opera and IE's Favorites natively. K-Meleon does not import the info from these files but has direct access to the files storing the info.

You can set K-Meleon to use all at their original place (this keeps the files info synchronised accross the browsers). Opera Hotlist.adr and Netscape bookmarks.html can be alternatively copied to K-Meleon Profile folder and used there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2008 01:09PM by guenter.

Posted by: Arrow
Date: November 16, 2008 02:29PM

To the contrary it is not a mess - it is very useful having all three options because some of us use IE and Opera browsers as well as K-M.
You can disable the plugins for the ones you do not want.

Plus some bookmarklets do not work when the browser is set to open the Bookmarks toolbar urls in a new tab. they only work when set to open in current page.

This means that you can employ two sets of toolbars - one to open in current page for bookmarklets, the other to open in new tab for urls you want to open in a new tab.

how do you fit them all in?
Remove bookmarks/favorites/hotlist bmps from the skin folder and tite your toolbar's urls/bookmarklets/folders to abreviated numbers or letters

http://img230.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=45889_toolbars_km_122_97lo.jpg

Date: November 17, 2008 04:18AM

ok, but this still does not explain where k-m keeps it own bookmarks, and how i copy bookmarks from the netscape plugin to k-m directly. i only use k-m, and i use ie for web design checks only... so i don't need the "transparency" that the plugin provides (though it is impressive). where is the actual k-m bookmarks menu/toolbar?

thanks all

update Re: please explain bookmarks, favorites, hotlist! what a mess!
Date: November 17, 2008 05:56AM

update: i now have the netscape bookmarks plugin running well, but i can't drag anything to the bookmarks bar.

in addition, there does not seem to be an "open all in tabs" option for toolbar folders.

thanks all.

Posted by: Fred
Date: November 17, 2008 06:05AM

If you do not choose to import existing bookmarks,
K-Meleon will create a fresh bookmarks file inside
your profiles folder. This folder will be created
inside the K-Meleon main folder, or, if you selected
multi-user during the installation, inside your
user's application folder, which is mostly located
in C:/Documents.../yourusername/ApplicationData/K-Meleon .

Fred

Date: November 17, 2008 12:27PM

@ superbad:

You are really superbad with a computer in your hands tongue sticking out smiley

I explain it to you in this thread.

Please read it.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: November 17, 2008 10:49PM

no, i must still not be making myself clear. where does k-m store its own bookmarks? not the plugin ones, not ones shared with netscape or firefox, but its own bookmarks? every time i try to edit a bookmark, i get a message saying that i'm trying to modify a file that k-m did not create.

and i know where k-m's bookmark file is stored. that's not my question. how do i get my bookmaks from the netscape plugin into k-m's own bookmark system? why is this so complicated?

and why can't i drag anything to the bookmarks bar?

Date: November 18, 2008 09:38AM

superbad
where does k-m store its own bookmarks? not the plugin ones, not ones shared with netscape or firefox, but its own bookmarks? every time i try to edit a bookmark, i get a message saying that i'm trying to modify a file that k-m did not create.

Default in used profile / bookmarks.html (Fred's post). The file is simply a html page with a definition list (if You look inside grinning smiley). It is a traditional name and file format & other browsers use it also.

K-Meleon's modular plugins do the work - that why they are mentioned.

The warning is a American style redundant warning. Just forget it.

K-Meleon is given the files (containing the info) by his installer and knows that he did not create them. But You might e.g. have set it to use the Firefox bookmarks.html which may loose the icons when K-Meleon rewrites the file.

superbad

and i know where k-m's bookmark file is stored...

ok.

K-Meleon's 3 plugins let him use 3 bookmarks types natively!
K-Meleon devs did not invent the file formats in which the info is stored but made plugins that let K-Meleon use these file formats for bookmarks storage.
So now he can use 2 types at any place e.g. in his own Profile/home folder or at the original place in another browser's profile, while IE favorites are only at the system's location.

Futher info in FAQS.

superbad
why can't i drag anything to the bookmarks bar?

? There is an alternative mouse plugin by Hao. If You mean that?
It allows drag and drop operations. I do not use it so I do not know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2008 09:46AM by guenter.

Posted by: Fred
Date: November 18, 2008 09:47AM

K-Meleon's bookmarks - a r e - of the netscape type.
If you import netscape bookmarks from Firefox,
K-Meleon will inform you, that they have been imported
by telling you, that they have not been created
while using K-Meleon, and will treat them afterwards,
as if they would have been created by K-Meleon.
If you start without having imported bookmarks,
K-Meleon will create a new, empty (netscape) bookmarks file.
The information, that a bookmarks file is not created
by K-Meleon, is given because you may - s h a r e - the
imported bookmarks file with another Gecko browser
as Firefox or Seamonkey, and after having added bookmarks
when using K-Meleon, certain features, created in the
other browser type might be lost.
It is preferable to create a copy of your older
bookmarks to be imported into K-Meleon, in order
not to make this happen, and use two different
bookmarks files.

Fred

Date: November 18, 2008 01:46PM

BTW. The new default file is copied from .../defaults/profile/bookmarks.html to a new profile. You can place a customized bookmarks.html to this place so that new profiles use this customized file as default.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2008 01:49PM by guenter.

Date: November 19, 2008 03:17AM

ok, thank you all for this information.

simple scenerio: let's say that when i install k-m, i do not enable any of the bookmark plugins. let's say i don't have any existing bookmarks anywhere. once i install k-m, i know that k-m will create a bookmarks.html file, since none exists, and i know where that file is stored on my computer, but where in the k-m interface do these bookmarks appear? if i do not enable any plugins, i don't see a bookmark menu. that make no sense to me.

furthermore, let's say that i enable the netscape bookmarks plugin and i want to drag a bookmark from the netscape plugin into k-m directly, so it will then be stored in the k-m bookmarks.html. how do i do that? this gets back to the fact that, while i do know where k-m stores its bookmarks.html file on my computer, i don't know where those k-m specific bookmarks appear in the k-m interface.

Date: November 19, 2008 03:45AM

When you enabled K-Meleon bookmarks plugin (Netscape Bookmarks plugin) in K-Meleon you can access to bookmarks by three ways:
1) Bookmarks menu, in menu bar.
2) Bookmarks button, in toolbar.
3) Bookmarks bar, only bookmarks in folder selected to be showed as Toolbar (View -> Toolbars -> Bookmarks)

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: November 19, 2008 07:58PM

Netscape bookmarks is activated by default & the first bookmarks.html contains useful links to K-Meleon and Mozilla project. Details are set via Edit > Preferences >... the bar can be toggled - bookmarks also have menu entry - I often deactivate the bar.

I do not know whether it is possible or worthwhile to construct a way to drag links.
Bookmarks.html must be edited to add the bookmarks (I mean You need a device that does that behind curtains while You do it). Normal mouse plugin does AFAIK not have drag and drop. Check with Hao's CCF what is possible for its mouse plugin.

Posted by: Arrow
Date: November 20, 2008 01:55AM

You can't drag links to bookmarks toolbar with Hao's ccfme it's the same as official K-M in that you can set a mouse gesture to open "add bookmark" dialogue.

Hao's K-M features left mouse button [rather than right button] drag and drop to open links in browser.

Date: November 21, 2008 11:50PM

guenter
Netscape bookmarks is activated by default & the first bookmarks.html contains useful links to K-Meleon and Mozilla project. Details are set via Edit > Preferences >... the bar can be toggled - bookmarks also have menu entry - I often deactivate the bar.

I do not know whether it is possible or worthwhile to construct a way to drag links.
Bookmarks.html must be edited to add the bookmarks (I mean You need a device that does that behind curtains while You do it). Normal mouse plugin does AFAIK not have drag and drop. Check with Hao's CCF what is possible for its mouse plugin.

Thank you, this is the most helpful post in this discussion.

I've worked in software and interface design for years. here is a little feedback, for whomever cares to read it:

- it's now been stated that the default, native k-m bookmark system relies on a plugin caled "netscape bookmarks". k-m should natively show a bookmarks menu of its own, while still providing the netscape plugin.

- furthermore, the netscape plugin should be renamed to something like "netscape/firefox bookmarks plugin". i know many people still use netscape, but firefox is a very common and universally used browser. why there is no obvious way to use ff bookmarks is a mystery.

- the fact that the bookmarks plugin system shares the bookmarks with their "sister" app should be clearly explained. i have used many different browsers, and none of them have such a sharing system. one expects that a new browser will import existing bookmarks from an existing browser, and i would assume that most users are expecting this behavior from k-m.

- a drag and drop interface for the bookmarks toolbar is a must. forcing users to install a mouse gestures plugin so they can drag a page to the bookmarks toolbar seems an odd way to enable this funtionality.

- an "open all in tabs" option should be included in bookmark toolbar folders.

- live bookmarks would be ideal.

thanks all. i will keep using k-m, since it's a fast little powerhouse and i like the interface overall... but I feel its bookmarks system would keep me from using it as my default browser.

Posted by: xray
Date: November 21, 2008 11:57PM

"one expects that a new browser will import existing bookmarks from an existing browser, and i would assume that most users are expecting this behavior from k-m."

only thing is that k-m is way older than ff

Posted by: disrupted
Date: November 22, 2008 12:17AM

true.. firehog should address kmeleon by 'daddy'

Date: November 22, 2008 04:26PM

superbad
the netscape plugin should be renamed to something like "netscape/firefox bookmarks plugin".

:s

The plugin's name is bookmarks.dll.

Netscape... refers the name of the file type/doctype.

A K-Meleon bookmarks.html

<!DOCTYPE NETSCAPE-Bookmark-file-1>
<!-- Generated By KMeleon -->

A Firefox bookmarks.html

<!DOCTYPE NETSCAPE-Bookmark-file-1>
<!-- This is an automatically generated file.
It will be read and overwritten.
DO NOT EDIT! -->

Thank for Your advice and for reading my comments.

IMHO You can do better than advice if You are a software engineer Yourself. This project is volunteer work. Why do not You make and offer alternative plugins that are exactly as You need them. smiling smiley

This would give You a new default browser :cool:

Since K-Meleon is modular You can improve them while they are alternatives and they can be included as defaults as soon as the majority of devs/users feel they are superior and that they want them instead of the existing devices. smiling smiley

p.s. Firefox Live Bookmarks is an RSS feed: AFAIK You just need to add this URL to K-Meleon's NewsFox RSS/Atom news reader and then You can receive the en-US RSS updates in the reader.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.