General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
wow! k-meleon even works well on a 486.
Posted by: Mike Chambers
Date: November 17, 2008 10:43PM

for the ultimate speed test, i installed K-Meleon 1.5.1 on a 100 MHz 486 with 64 MB of RAM running Windows 2000 Professional. it's the only browser that runs acceptably on it. i am extremely impressed.

i just found out about this browser today, keep up the good work!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wow! k-meleon even works well on a 486.
Posted by: desga2
Date: November 17, 2008 10:55PM

Mike Chambers
on a 100 MHz 486 with 64 MB of RAM running Windows 2000 Professional.

Really I'm extremely impressed by this not for K-Meleon.

Win2K run in 486 100 MHz with 64 MB of RAM! WOW! :O

Posted by: disrupted
Date: November 17, 2008 11:12PM

but ofcourse smiling smiley

also check this.. lies upon lies upon more lies: (our man ndebord takes a stand at the enemy camp)
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=915955

.. one of the idiots favours firehog over kmeleon cause of 'extensions'; if only they knew the things we're capable of doing with km.. they dn't even dream of implementing in firepox

and that big fat lie about km crashing.. crashing kmeleon is such a rare event; that i even document it when it happens(kinda makes me feel good when i crash it..it's not an easy mission)

Posted by: roystonlodge
Date: November 18, 2008 07:35PM

Mike Chambers
for the ultimate speed test, i installed K-Meleon 1.5.1 on a 100 MHz 486 with 64 MB of RAM running Windows 2000 Professional. it's the only browser that runs acceptably on it. i am extremely impressed.

i just found out about this browser today, keep up the good work!

Wow. We have an old Pentium II with 96MB of RAM in our office running Damn Small Linux that we set aside for the use of interns and volunteers. (hehehe) Maybe I should find an old copy of Windows2K and use that instead?

What are the odds that Windows XP would work? I already have an XP CD here with a virgin COE.

Date: November 18, 2008 08:15PM

theoretically, yes.. you can run xp on a slow machine like that, you'll need to disable a lot of features and 'eye-candy' and ofcourse services that you won't need.. you will have to make do without any resident programs especially an antivirus. this will require certain restriction and administrative policies to secure that machine without malware scanning programs.. you will certainly need kmeleon there as your browser because, ie won't suffice(+major secuity risk) and that other gecko hog will be painful.

in the end, you're better off with win 2k than xp on that machine.

there are several sites with tips on optimising xp for old computers:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=running+xp+on+older+machine&start=10&sa=N

Posted by: guenter
Date: November 19, 2008 12:02AM

roystonlodge
What are the odds that Windows XP would work? I already have an XP CD here with a virgin COE.

IMHO You can slim it to Win2000 level. There are several projects that create minimalistic XP for HDD install, live, rescue CD or USB. I have only experimented with nlite and Barts PE (preinstall environment a live CD) but returned to ME for my oldest machine.

Get e.g. nlite and slim the XP (shut down redundant services... no outlook and co autostarting and so on ) and set option that it permits install on insufficient hardware. Then pray that it has all drivers for Your hardware.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2008 12:04AM by guenter.

Posted by: Curmudgeon
Date: November 19, 2008 04:00AM

Hearty thanks to the developers! I've got a trusty W95 machine and IE5 browser that was being shut out of more and more sites. K-meleon has given me fresh access to numerous sites which won't "play nice" with my old browser for a variety of reasons. I got almost giddy when I could go to and interact with sites at home which used to force me to get in my car and drive to the library to use their public computers.

Posted by: Anonymous User
Date: November 19, 2008 02:28PM

I've been using without problems K-Meleon on a 300 Mhz Pentium II with 192 M of RAM under W98 SE for about a year at the office.

Now I've upgraded and I own a powerful and marvellous ... Dell GX60 (PIII 2000Ghz 512 RAM) which costed 70 EUR at eBay includding shipping from Germany to Spain.
K-Meleon keeps working great there.

X-D

Posted by: caktus
Date: November 19, 2008 05:06PM

enaitzjga
said 2000Ghz

I think perhaps you meant to say 2000MHz or 2GHz. Although, 2000GHz may soon be on the horizon.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Date: November 19, 2008 05:44PM

2000ghz.. i wonder what would one do with all that, maybe i could finally finish the SETI@home jobs i have lying around since 2001 grinning smiley

Date: November 19, 2008 06:56PM

@ disrupted

I think the work unites prior to 2008 are no longer useful.tongue sticking out smiley

Charlie

Posted by: guenter
Date: November 19, 2008 07:04PM

grinning smiley You are not getting it? PCs to drive K-Meleons fast cost next to nothing.

enaitz wrong 2000 is IMHO intended fun. He has a new fast machine grinning smiley His machine is in fact faster than my P III 500 since it has more RAM. From comments to tweak guide ( - Slow Computer means slower than Pentium 500 for us tongue sticking out smiley).

You find machines like his for about 70 Euro from Germany when You Google "PC Rechner Pentium III Dell GX60 512 MB" .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2008 07:13PM by guenter.

Posted by: Anonymous User
Date: November 19, 2008 10:09PM

Yes, I meant 2 Ghz or 2.000 Mhz. If I could have a 2.000 Ghz computer I'll use it to try finding the Ultimate Tetris Dificult Level and see who's faster, the Man or the Machine ...

X-D

Now, seriously, with this kind of Dell Optiplex office systems K-Meleon works almost identically than at the Dual core 4400+ (2 x 2200 Mhz) 2Gb RAM I have in my house.

the point is that with K-Meleon, 70 EUR and a monitor you can have a perfectly working and really useful and valid PC (except for hard core gamers, obviously).

Date: November 20, 2008 05:23AM

@ tongue sticking out smiley

Well yeah, if you wanna be realistic about it. tongue sticking out smiley

Charlie

Posted by: Mike Chambers
Date: December 07, 2008 11:10PM

to the person who asked about windows XP on a 486, no that won't work actually. XP requires the CPUID and CMPXCHG8 processor opcodes to be implemented in the CPU, which they were not in the 486. XP is a no-go for a 486 because of this. the earliest CPU that can handle it is the original pentium.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.