General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Suggestion for the downloads page on the website
Posted by: roystonlodge
Date: November 17, 2008 11:21PM

Good afternoon,

For the benefit of users (like myself) who are a little slow on the uptake, may I suggest that y'all add a little blurb on the download page about the benefits of using the installer-free 7zip version of K-Meleon?

For the longest time, I thought I was unable to use K-Meleon on my computer at work because I needed administrator priviledges to run the installer. Imagine my delight today when I realized I could unpack the 7zip archive into my personal folder and run K-Meleon from there.

Y'all might also consider getting K-Meleon listed at the www.portableapps.com website. It could provide you with a little more exposure.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Suggestion for the downloads page on the website
Posted by: desga2
Date: November 17, 2008 11:56PM

Guenter and I explained how to do K-Meleon 1.5.X portable in this thread.

Also some of this topic was talked in this thread.

I feel so basic and elemtal that it is not worth creating a portable version because you can not apply a default configuration. The configuration depends on who wants privacy or space available to each.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: roystonlodge
Date: November 18, 2008 07:19PM

I used the .7zip file from the main download page. It worked fine when unpacked into a folder in my My Documents folder. Is there more I could have done to create a "portable" version? What's the benefit of going that route?

I just think a quick sentence beside the .7zip download to the tune of, "This download is better for users who do not have administrator priviledges," would help expand the user base.

On my work computer, for example, even portable Firefox doesn't work, yet K-Meleon works just fine. <Insert happy dance here.>

(BTW: While K-Meleon runs really fast on all my computers, it runs at Ludicrous Speed on this one. Intel Core2. 2.4 GHz. 3GB RAM. Vista Enterprise.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2008 07:30PM by roystonlodge.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: November 18, 2008 09:45PM

km is blurring on fast machines

Posted by: caktus
Date: November 19, 2008 05:19PM

The pages at http://www.7-zip.org/ explain a lot more advantages of using 7z.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.