General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Help: lost profile (links, passwords, session) after random pc crash
Posted by: Kozak
Date: November 29, 2008 01:28PM

Hi everybody,

I had electricity down for one second, and computer rebooted. After reboot, seems like K-M (version 1.5.1) no longer recognizes the profile (it is located inside K-M folder and I see that K-M still correctly points to that folder). I lost all links, web site passwords, session, and all other settings customized in the profile. The profile folder is still there, with bookmarks file, passwords, and so on. It's just that K-M doesn't want to use it anymore.

I remember reading about this problem here a while ago, that it was related to some kind of Mozilla bug, that happens rarely and randomly (i.e. maybe happens only one time in 20 reboots like mine). I can't find anything in the forums now about this problem.

Can you help me restore as much of my profile as possible now. I'm sure this is just some small corruption somewhere and all the files with information are fine.

The priority is to restore session. I had about 8 windows and 100 tabs opened. I want to reopen them back. It will be a lot of work to figure out what those tabs were now, if I can't restore session. In what file session information is saved?

The next is to restore passwords and bookmarks and other profile settings.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Kozak

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help: lost profile (links, passwords, session) after random pc crash
Posted by: Kozak
Date: November 29, 2008 02:00PM

I managed to save myself. What I did was I restored profile folder from a fairly recent K-M backup, except I kept history.dat file that apparently has session information. After that, all is back, so I achieved two things I wanted.

Meanwhile, if anybody has more insight into this problem, please post for the benefits of everybody. There's got to be a small corruption in some file, that if corrected, will get the profile back, without a need to restore it from a backup.

Re: Help: lost profile (links, passwords, session) after random pc crash
Posted by: guenter
Date: November 29, 2008 06:08PM

Kozak
except I kept history.dat file that apparently has session information.

There is AFAIK also usefull session info in prefs.js.
Search for keyword "plugins.sessions" and its URLs - if You still have a backup of the useless Profile?

You could have edited ./K-Meleon/Profiles/profiles.ini to point at the right one.

[Profile0]
Name=default
Path=etaqbqbo.default
IsRelative=1
Default=1

[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

The system crash probably damaged that file. K-Meleon creates a new Profile. AFAIK You edit Path= in the new profiles.ini to point to the old Profile. If You have a complete backup You can use the profiles.ini of that.

p.s. ProfileBackup keeps fairly recent updates automatically.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2008 06:28PM by guenter.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.