General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Maximum number of tabs in a window, tab width
Posted by: Kozak
Date: December 09, 2008 06:37PM

Hi everybody,

I usually open many many tabs, hence the questions. I'm surprized nobody asked them before (?) Even if there is a positive answer to at least one question it will help me.

It seems the maximum number of tabs in a window is 80. Can this be upped somehow?

Is it possible to increase the height of the tab toolbar (allowing two rows of tabs instead of one row)?

I can set the minimum tab size in mm in configuration, but it seems the tab icon will not scale down from the default fixed size (16x16?), thus creating a limit for a minimum tab size (20 pixels wide?), and also limiting the number of tabs that can fit in the tab bar (depending on the screen resolution). I would prefer to have a more narrow icon, perhaps 8 pixels wide, and correspondingly smaller minimum tab size, perhaps 10 pixels. Can do? I know Opera can do it.

The most annoying thing: when the number of tabs increases, K-M starts putting some tabs down (on the right side), then again shows all tabs across, then again some tabs down. When it does that I'm loosing the current tab - some other tab becomes current, and I often have to go down hunting for the tab I was on. I prefer a setting to not have any tabs down, period. K-M should fit all tabs across the tab bar, if necessary by scaling down tab size to the size needed. How can this be set?

Finally just a comment. K-M slows down quite a bit when the number of tabs is high . I don't know if this is related to how Windows stores information about handles/gdi's, and whether anything can be done in K-M code to improve performance.

Thanks much for any suggestions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Maximum number of tabs in a window, tab width
Posted by: desga2
Date: December 09, 2008 07:55PM
Re: Maximum number of tabs in a window, tab width
Posted by: Kozak
Date: December 11, 2008 01:58AM

Thanks. Nothing that helps me directly but there are couple of interesting things to try in those threads. Also, it does confirm that I'm not totally off asking those questions. Perhaps if there are a few more interested people, a bit more attention will be paid by developers.

Soon I'll see if 22" monitor might help K-M to show more tabs smiling smiley

I think running two K-M with different profiles might help performance, when many tabs are open, but that remains to be checked.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.