I can't block adverising tracking cookies, I get over 150
Posted by: slystone
Date: December 17, 2008 12:09AM

I knew when i was manually deleting k-melons tracking cookies that there was wayyyyy more than my other browsers. I finally with this forums help have k-meleon working with a cookie program called cookie monster. Today I saw that tons of advertising tracking cookies were being taken ONLY BY K-MELEON. I have firefox 3.0, opera, flock, and IE7.I have them set to take only cookies from the originating sites only.I have don't take third party cookies. They are fine, K-meleon takes cookies like ads.pointroll.com and advertising.com and some I can block with exceptions and others won't block.

I have changed cookie settings after i played around with around with the settings so that I'm blocking some cookies with exceptions,and using privacy settings. Using custom setting, reject third party cookies, accept the first setting, accept the second and accept third and forth. I have to because if I session the cooies they still end pu in the software cookie monster and i have to delete them, plus sites won't let me in they say cookies are not set to accept. It still is terrible, I get easy 150-200 ad cookies not from the site i'm visting. And it's better, I've cut it down. I copied two macros from the k-meleon site because it said it would help. WHY ONLY K-MELEON? HELP NEED A FIX.:mad: sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2008 06:40PM by slystone.

Re: I can't block adverising tracking cookies, I get over 150
Posted by: slystone
Date: December 17, 2008 06:35PM

I have been on the web about a half hour with k-meleon and I have over 70 ad cookies. I have 18 ads.patroll.com and I'm blocking it. I'm using another browser until i can get his taken care of, it seems to be worse than a month agao because how could i miss this even deleting the cookies manually? I'll pop up from time to time . THANKS I HAVE FAITH IN YOU GUYS.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2008 07:39PM by slystone.

Re: I can't block adverising tracking cookies, I get over 150
Posted by: caktus
Date: December 17, 2008 08:35PM

Hi Sly,

Perhaps the same old thoughts you've been hearing for years.

Cookies are really no threat. They only tell sites that we have previously been their i.e. forums, shopping sites and such so we don't have to login again, and secure sites so we don't have to answer the often stupid and so-called security questions most people forget, and as you mentioned some sites just won't let us in with out them enabled. Though some Cookies are created with a time bomb that sends them (just the Cookie) out with the trash at a preset date and time of expiration. Sometimes secure sites will ask if it is OK to load non-secure images and links and if we say OK then here come more Cookies, I think.(?)

I have a feeling perhaps advertisements that are blocked by KM's ad blocking .css and perhaps even advertisements and images blocked by AB+ also permit the cookies in the door as these tools actually only block the rendering of many ads and images, if I am reading the tea leaves correctly. Perhaps some of the KM pro's out there wile weigh-in and tell us for sure.

Personally, when I clean up temp files, etc. I usually just leave Cookies alone as they are really no threat as many people and particularly cleanup tool vendor's, try so hard to shove down our throat's and our credit card's. Still on occasion I clean out the Cookies when they add up to megabytes which is very seldom. I figure Cookies and other temp files cached in the index.dat file where they are stored for ever if we don't delete them occasionally can be the most telling to inquiring minds who can't mind their own business. Index.dat files must be cleaned out now and then other wise they'll be around for ever, even after we dispose of the computer or HDD.

I figure technically, all cookies are "tracking" cookies. And are just plain text data unable to change or inform the originating site anything more than what that site originally placed in it. I figure, Cookies do for internet traffic what Prefetch files do for local traffic and seeking.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.