General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
K-Meleon hates me
Posted by: casper
Date: December 17, 2008 05:29AM

Hey everyone I really enjoy using K-meleon it's fast & performs well but for some unknown reason it closes automatically when I'm browsing & I was just wanting to know if anyone has had this problem & if they have how have they been able to fix it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-Meleon hates me
Posted by: JamesD
Date: December 17, 2008 12:01PM

Is there any message when KM closes? When you re-open KM, is there some message about not closing properly-resume old session?

What version of KM are you using and on which operating system?

Date: December 17, 2008 11:33PM

When I restart all it says is that K-Meleon wasn't closed correctly other than that no error message appears.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: December 17, 2008 11:36PM

Still need to know what version of K-Meleon you are using.

Is the closing random or are you viewing the same page or doing a similar action each time?

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: December 17, 2008 11:53PM

Try this, casper. Go to the \Program Files\K-meleon\ folder, right click on the k-meleon.exe file and select Properties and click on the Version tab to view the version number properties of K-meleon.

possible spyware/malware making K-meleon behave abnormally. Use Spybot S&D or Lavasoft Ad-aware to clean them out and reboot your computer when told to.

Please tell us what version of Windows you use by right clicking on the My Computer icon on your desktop and select Properties.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2008 11:53PM by 4td8s.

Date: December 18, 2008 12:34AM

I'm using the latest version of the browser & it closes randomly so there is no specific page that it closes on, I'm using xp pro with the latest service pack 3 & I do spyware scans on a daily basis & they all come back clear & I also use avast as my anti virus software & I get no messages from that.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2008 12:38AM by casper.

Posted by: reeko124
Date: December 27, 2008 04:38PM

I am having the same problems as this guy. I never have before and I read this before I put 1.52 on a clean install. It now has done it a few times. I will probably just go back to 1.50 like on my other machine. I never tried 1.51 but 1.5 was stable enough for me. On 1.52 I also had to install Ad Block Plus a few times before it would open up in K-Meleon

Posted by: desga2
Date: December 27, 2008 05:32PM

What Windows version are you using?

Are you tried to use 1.5.2 without AdBlockPlus?

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: ndebord
Date: December 28, 2008 04:02AM

desga2,

I'm running KM 1.5.2 with the profile from KM 1.5.0. I'm not seeing any of these problems. I'm wondering what these problems have in common. I notice they are all (I think) running XP PRO SP3, I'm running SP2.

Anybody?

N

Date: December 28, 2008 10:13AM

Yes I tried running it without ABP and had the same problem. 2 times before I added it and once after I added it. It still would crash. Still the best browser but just that problem. Thanks for responding

Posted by: gvgerman
Date: December 28, 2008 03:53PM

I haven't had this problem, per se, but I've had problems w/ the latest K-M versions when re-using previous profiles. Suggest you rename your current K-M folder to keep it "safe" and install K-M to a new folder and with a new profile.

Date: December 28, 2008 08:08PM

gvgerman
I haven't had this problem, per se, but I've had problems w/ the latest K-M versions when re-using previous profiles. Suggest you rename your current K-M folder to keep it "safe" and install K-M to a new folder and with a new profile.

There is no previous profile. Its a fresh install of windowsXP and SP3 and K-Meleon.

Posted by: guenter
Date: December 28, 2008 10:53PM

reeko124
There is no previous profile. Its a fresh install of windowsXP and SP3 and K-Meleon.

Thx for info. The 2 most common faults with a fresh install.

1.) With SP2 You get a MS firewall that does not know & may hinder K-Meleon.
Make sure it lets K-Meleon pass (no idea how - i deactivated it & use Zone Alarm now).

2.) Your anti virus can do the same - check that it does not hinder K-Meleon.

p.s. Also use Multi User Support on install. That is default and good for 2000/XP/Vista.

Maybe download and use a fresh installer. Exe version - 7z needs 2 extra dll files.

BTW. My first 0.8.2 installer hated me so much that I had to download another.grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2008 10:57PM by guenter.

Date: December 30, 2008 04:47AM

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one having to deal with this problem.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: December 30, 2008 03:56PM

Guenter,

I did not have any problem with KM and Windows Firewall (XP PRO SP2), but then I too did disable it and am now running Comodo as my firewall instead.

N

Date: December 30, 2008 05:07PM

You never have - after You disable it grinning smiley

Posted by: Yogi
Date: December 30, 2008 07:09PM

guenter
p.s. Also use Multi User Support on install. That is default and good for 2000/XP/Vista.

I don't put a question mark against but I simply can't get the logic.
(Du kannst es mir auch auf deutsch erklären wieso.)
I always use the single user option (K-Meleon, Opera on NT 5.0) and never had problems so far.

Date: December 30, 2008 08:57PM

Yogi
guenter

I don't put a question mark against but I simply can't get the logic.
I always use the single user option (K-Meleon, Opera on NT 5.0) and never had problems so far.

So do I - I use this setup to have many different & independent K-Meleon profiles.

There is no logic - MS just set it up like that for all new NT based systems.

Users that have no administrator privileges automatically have writing rights in %apdata%. So K-Meleon default Profiles folder was relocated to from ./K-Meleon/Profiles/ Folder to %apdata%/K-Meleon/Profiles.

Many PPL do not know how to set writing privileges. And when they do not work as Administrator their Program has no writing privileges in Program Files/K-Meleon/Profiles... - and K-Meleon needs them to write Your profile.

New users tend to use defaults. And All use defaults if anything went wrong.smiling smiley

Yogi
(Du kannst es mir auch auf deutsch erklären wieso.)

In %apdata% haben DAUs automatisch Schreibrechte, auch wenn sie nicht als Admin arbeiten (dürfen) - also hat Dorian diese FAQ so beseitigt.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2008 09:16PM by guenter.

Posted by: Yogi
Date: January 01, 2009 05:35PM

guenter
Users that have no administrator privileges automatically have writing rights in %apdata%. So K-Meleon default Profiles folder was relocated to from ./K-Meleon/Profiles/ Folder to %apdata%/K-Meleon/Profiles.

Many PPL do not know how to set writing privileges.

I see. That makes sense. Now I get the logic of your statement smiling smiley
BTW, this applies to other browsers like Opera as well.

Date: January 18, 2009 10:12PM

So to put it in simple terms what the solution to this problem?.

Date: January 18, 2009 10:41PM

casper
So to put it in simple terms what the solution to this problem?.

Use the installer.exe (not the 7z. file) & install with default values (they are chosen, safe values).

Make sure that Your Firewall/Anti-Virus allows K-Meleon.exe to start.

p.s. Sometimes Firewall/Anti-Virus do not notify You that a new program wants to start. They just strangle applications without telling You. Make sure they are in a learning mode & tell You. Or that they let You do manually.

If they do neither, after You selected that?

Change either Firewall/Anti-Virus or browser.

p.s. IMHO do not change the browser smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2009 10:42PM by guenter.

Posted by: panzer
Date: January 19, 2009 02:44PM

Casper, I got an e-mail yesterday in which this was written:

I do not have an email from Casper.

Please tell him I do not hate him.

Kmeleon

Posted by: disrupted
Date: January 19, 2009 10:04PM

grinning smiley see..k-meleon is possessed!

Date: January 20, 2009 01:38AM

It could be some damaged file in the components folder...
I run into the same problem. But it was only after i started to remove stuff from components folder...

I will upload a list with all the stuff that can be deleted from the components folder and the ones that can not be deleted along with the messages that K-meleon displays when the files are missing..

Hope that will help

Date: January 20, 2009 04:32AM

Gorilla no baka
I run into the same problem. But it was only after i started to remove stuff from components folder...

I will upload a list with all the stuff that can be deleted from the components folder and the ones that can not be deleted along with the messages that K-meleon displays when the files are missing..

Hope that will help
Thanks for that I think a lot of people who are having this problem will find it useful & I somehow have a feeling that It could be something to do the components folder rather than the firewall & anti-virus possibility which was mentioned earlier.

Date: January 20, 2009 09:15AM

Gorilla no baka

Remember to delete the 2 *.dat files after changes that involve *.xpt.
That is needed when it had crashed. If it keeps crashing after that - it is fatal.
You need one or more of the deleted files a new install or whatever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2009 09:17AM by guenter.

Posted by: desga2
Date: January 20, 2009 10:27AM

Please, what is your real K-Meleon version? Used you some update?
I tested my last update to Gecko 1.8.1.19 in 1.1.x version and this have some problems, K-Meleon was unstable and crashed some times with a windows error message.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: January 20, 2009 12:18PM

guenter
Gorilla no baka

Remember to delete the 2 *.dat files after changes that involve *.xpt.
That is needed when it had crashed. If it keeps crashing after that - it is fatal.
You need one or more of the deleted files a new install or whatever.

Thank you guenter...I got it all unders control now...Your ideia was brilliant

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.