General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Upgrade without losing Prefs/Bookmarks
Posted by: elephunk
Date: December 27, 2008 08:33PM

Sorry if this question has been already answered.

I love using K-Meleon, but the past 2 times I've upgraded to a new version, all my preferences and bookmarks were lost. I didn't think that upgrading would wipe all that clean. Is there a way to save all this information?

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Upgrade without losing Prefs/Bookmarks
Posted by: guenter
Date: December 27, 2008 09:00PM

elephunk
Sorry if this question has been already answered.

...the past 2 times I've upgraded to a new version, all my preferences and bookmarks were lost. I didn't think that upgrading would wipe all that clean. Is there a way to save all this information?

1.) No Problem.
2.) a. If You update from 1.5.0 or 1.5.1? They are completely compatible to 1.5.2.
You could just install them into the same directory.
2.) b. If update is from another 1.5? Copy bookmarks.html and pref.js, *.s and the rest inside Your profile to a backkup location, You do that always grinning smiley.

3.) a. If update is from an earlier version such as 1.1.x? Copy program and profiles folders as backup to another safe place. That will put You at the safe side. You can find profiles location via Edit > Configuration > User Settings.
The files reused are mostly the same as above. We need version info if it is older than 1.1.x.

The changes are in macros and other files.

p.s. There are several threads about what You do after a busted install. The data are still in the original place normally. Even today You can still try to find the old data stored like in the old bookmarks.html or password files.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2008 05:11PM by guenter.

Re: Upgrade without losing Prefs/Bookmarks
Posted by: PRK
Date: December 30, 2008 06:25AM

elephunk, Bookmarks of K-Meleon 1.5.1 it is on Edit > Configuration > Profile Directory. Make the copy of this file.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.