General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Location of K-Meleon saved sessions ???
Posted by: gdv
Date: December 29, 2008 01:44AM

I have been trying for over an hour to find where K-Meleon saves sessions and haven't been able to find the info in any documentation, FAQ, wiki, etc., or via Google search. :mad:

I even saved a session with a unique name and then searched my hard drive for any file with that name, without any luck.

Opera stores saved sessions in a sub-folder under the user's Profile folder, which is where I would think K-Meleon would store them, but NOOooo.....!!! :s

Does someone know where saved sessions are stored by K-Meleon?

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Location of K-Meleon saved sessions ???
Posted by: JamesD
Date: December 29, 2008 01:57AM

Session information is stored in prefs.js in your profile. Look for lines that begin with "user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.sessions".

Date: December 29, 2008 02:28AM

THANK YOU ever so much!!!!! smiling smiley I figured it had to be something like that. New to K-Meleon today, and already had a couple of crashes (probably due to how much other stuff I had running) and wanted to know how and whre the sessions were saved in case of further crashes.

Now I don't know much about javascript, but is there an easy way to view the pref.js file that would make the saved sessions structure more evident than it is when I open it in a simple text editor (maybe visually, like a GUI, or something that might show the contents indented or in a tree structure)?

Thanks again!

Posted by: guenter
Date: December 29, 2008 06:11AM

gdv
that would make the saved sessions structure more evident than it is when I open it in a simple text editor (maybe visually, like a GUI, or something that might show the contents indented or in a tree structure)?

No. Nothing especially dedicated to that.

Go to Edit > Configuration > Browser Configuration (top item or go to URL about:config ) confirm that You know what you are doing - write "sessions" into the search mask. Then You can view Prefs that contain the word.

That is how we reached all prefs before kko build a GUI for the most essential.
BTW. All Mozilla browsers that have chrome or sufficient rests of chrome can use "about:config".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2008 06:12AM by guenter.

Date: December 29, 2008 09:18AM

guenter
No. Nothing especially dedicated to that.

Go to Edit > Configuration > Browser Configuration (top item or go to URL about:config ) confirm that You know what you are doing - write "sessions" into the search mask. Then You can view Prefs that contain the word.

Thanks! It's a little unwieldy, but at least I can see the structure and content of each saved session with the about:config view, mainly because of the columns that grapically separate Preference Name, Status, Type and Value.

But when I asked about something to make the structure of the saved sessions in the prefs.js file more evident, I wasn't really thinking there would be something internal to K-Meleon (although the about:config view does that somewhat). I was wondering more about something specifically geared either to javascript and/or the format of the pref.js file that I could open the prefs.js file with and see the content and structure of all the saved sessions it contains.

But that's why I said I don't know much about javascript; I'm not a programmer, and don't know if what I'm asking is feasible or even makes sense.

Does anyone know of such a viewer? (I'm guessing it wouldn't be just a viewer but probably a text editor of some sort geared more to javascript or the format of the prefs.js than any of the text editors I have.)

On the other hand, if there were to be something added to K-Meleon, maybe it could have a tree view with each saved session as a folder which can be expanded or collapsed to see what tabs/windows it contains, similar to the K-Meleon History window.

But for now, at least, the about:config view helps. smiling smiley

BTW, is the GUI you're referring to
guenter
That is how we reached all prefs before kko build a GUI for the most essential.
the one reached by Edit > Preferences (F2), or something else I haven't discovered yet?

Thanks again.

Date: December 29, 2008 09:32AM

Toggle line wrap in an editor. Prefs are long lines.

Yes that is kko's preferences panel - I access it via Edit menu.

Date: December 29, 2008 11:09AM

guenter

Well, yeah, that's the problem in any editor. They're too long to fit on one line with line wrap on OR off, even if I go to full screen and my smallest font. And each line has a different length based on the number of pages forward and back for each tab and the length of the URLs and webpage headings/names, with the longest lines being those of any tab that has several pages forward and back. The gaps between each individual URL or webpage heading/name are scattered all over the place and it's really a hassle to try to read it with line wrap toggled either way.

I even tried loading prefs.js into Excel to get some kind of tabular view, but it spreads out across too many cells of too many different sizes, and is just too chaotic to really read.

So again, it seems like some kind of expandable/collapsible folder/tree viewer would work nicely. Maybe one of the programmer types will get around to a Saved Sessions GUI eventually. If I knew enough about the programming I'd tackle it myself and make that my contribution to the K-Meleon project ...but that's way beyond my 1970 High school FORTRAN and 1978 introductory BASIC. smiling smiley

But again, in the mean time, the about:config view works well enough if I just need to get a quick look (certainly better than an editor).

Thanks.

Date: December 29, 2008 11:27AM

gdv
guenter

Well, yeah, that's the problem in any editor.

True but e.g. "user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.sessions" is repeated so You can try to center it to the relevant parts. But about:config is better for most uses.

p.s. Programing: The same here I only learned some obscure basic for Sharp 1401 and HTML/XHTML up to 1.0 loose. I can only try to help out but usually I do not get anywhere.sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2008 11:29AM by guenter.

Date: December 29, 2008 08:26PM

Yeah, guenter, I'm just a heavy-duty user of MANY terrific open-source programs, and wish I could tweak many of them and/or contribute to their development...but "So many fish, so little time!", as a fishing graphic on a favorite T-shirt I wore out years ago said on its front (which I always patiently explained, with a little smile, was referring to metaphorical fish).

And I'm guessing I may never really get around to any more trout (er, programming) fishing trips, even though there are SO MANY programming fish to be caught (some with # fins and some with Perls or Rubys in their stomachs). .... Wow! .... I think I'm getting just a little too idiosyncratic in my small effort at some Monday morning humor. grinning smiley

BUT as a Newbie on the K-Meleon forum yesterday, until I saw ...

guenter
p.s. Programing: The same here I only learned some obscure basic for Sharp 1401 and HTML/XHTML up to 1.0 loose. I can only try to help out but usually I do not get anywhere.sad smiley

...and...

guenter
mrbig
dear sir i see you have been busy i just have a question for you ..what files make up the gecko rendering engine of this machine.
I do not know all the files that are essential. I am no programmer.

...I saw your name on the Sticky at the top of the General : K-Meleon Forum and so much activity from you that I was presuming you were one of the K-Meleon developers (of the "Sir" ilk) smiling smiley, and might be able to eventually include a Saved Sessions GUI into your roadmap at some point if it seemed worthwhile to you and enough users.

But I guess you and I both are more the knowledgable end-user types who wish we knew more programming. I appreciate your assistance, and it's nice that you're able and willing to be so available to support so many other users.

In looking over the issue and the forum a little more (after too short a night of sleep), I'm wondering if the next step might be for me to post a suggestion in the K-Meleon Improvement requests section of the forum. In your experience, guenter (or anyone else), would that be the appropriate course of action?

...BTW (& off-topic), I tried to select the font color tool here in the editor and got no response. Is it not working?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2008 08:38PM by gdv.

Date: December 30, 2008 07:57AM

gdv
K-Meleon developers (of the "Sir" ilk) smiling smiley, and might be able to eventually include a Saved Sessions GUI into your roadmap at some point if it seemed worthwhile to you and enough users.

But I guess you and I both are more the knowledgable end-user types who wish we knew more programming.

In looking over the issue and the forum a little more (after too short a night of sleep), I'm wondering if the next step might be for me to post a suggestion in the K-Meleon Improvement requests section of the forum. In your experience, guenter (or anyone else), would that be the appropriate course of action?

...BTW (& off-topic), I tried to select the font color tool here in the editor and got no response. Is it not working?

1.) I rever Dorian, kko... enough to choose not to be called sir.
Gui for sessions? What we have is sufficient & AFAIK all that can be done with K-Meleon Macro language. Dorian does the fast moving things in C, kko settings GUIs in XUL (fast prototyping but slow moving). He also did menus in Macros language.

2.) I am end user. Here for 4 years. Users can gain much info & skills here.

3.) Yes Improvement Request to Forum 4.

4.) Edit > Configuartion menu & alter the user defined CSS. Keyword "important!"

Posted by: desga2
Date: December 30, 2008 04:10PM

gdv

guenter
4.) Edit > Configuartion menu & alter the user defined CSS. Keyword "important!"

I think that gdv is referring to "Select font color" button on post toolbar in forum.

Yes, it's a known issue in forum. But you can use it manually with [ color= colorname ] tag and [ /color ]. Read "Help information" button in post toolbar. (First button in post toolbar)

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2008 04:13PM by desga2.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: December 30, 2008 07:26PM

gdv
Well, yeah, that's the problem in any editor. They're too long to fit on one line with line wrap on OR off, even if I go to full screen and my smallest font. And each line has a different length based on the number of pages forward and back for each tab and the length of the URLs and webpage headings/names, with the longest lines being those of any tab that has several pages forward and back. The gaps between each individual URL or webpage heading/name are scattered all over the place and it's really a hassle to try to read it with line wrap toggled either way.

Probably does not help that many fonts are not fixed width. The spaces and letters will not line up.

Date: January 02, 2009 05:54AM

desga2
gdv

guenter

I think that gdv is referring to "Select font color" button on post toolbar in forum.

Yes, it's a known issue in forum. But you can use it manually with [ color= colorname ] tag and [ /color ]. Read "Help information" button in post toolbar. (First button in post toolbar)

Didn't make it back to the thread (or forum) for a while, but thanks, desga2. I was, indeed, referring to ""Select font color" button on post toolbar in forum.."

...and I am just beginning to learn some of these in-line tags (and hadn't noticed the "Help" button, so I appreciate you pointing it out), so I just have to try it out right here! grinning smiley

BTW, why isn't there a "wink" smiley? winking smiley

JamesD
Probably does not help that many fonts are not fixed width. The spaces and letters will not line up.

True, but I only use fixed-width fonts in my plain text editors for that very reason (i.e., so spaces and letters will line up). But even with a fixed-width font, the breaks between items don't line up from one line to the next because the URLs and webpage headings are all different lengths.

To make it even worse, the lines for many of my K-Meleon Tabs are so long (because of so many Forward and Back items in the history for that particular Tab) they exceed the line length limits of the editor and wrap even if line wrap is toggled off, so then things don't even line up on the left side of the page.

So it is still difficult to view, even with a fixed-width font.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2009 09:40AM by guenter.

Date: January 02, 2009 06:19AM

oops -- combined this post with previous post -- any way to erase this???

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2009 06:26AM by gdv.

Date: January 02, 2009 09:47AM

gdv

You do it: Edit / Cut lines, save and paste the cut lines into a new post.

Else: You tell me exactly what You want.
enaitz and me are spam admins - we have the needed rights to edit and remove.

Date: January 03, 2009 02:27AM

guenter
You do it: Edit / Cut lines, save and paste the cut lines into a new post.

Yeah, I think maybe my post wasn't very clear.

I had already posted both the January 01, 2009 09:54PM post responding to desga2 and shortly after that the the January 01, 2009 10:19PM response to JamesD.

But then I didn't like how my responses were sequencing in the thread, so I edited both of them and cut all the content from the (already posted) January 01, 2009 10:19PM response to JamesD and pasted it into my January 01, 2009 09:54PM post to desga2 (to make it as it now stands, with the one post responding to both desga2 and JamesD).

Then I wanted to delete the original January 01, 2009 10:19PM post responding to JamesD, but couldn't see a way to delete. So I tried to re-post it as an empty message, thinking that might delete it...but it wouldn't let me proceed with no content. So that's why I added the following content and re-posted it:

gdv

...And it probably would have been clearer if I had said "Oops -- I already combined this post with my own previous post immediately above and don't need this post now -- Is there any way to delete this post???" instead of "oops -- combined this post with previous post -- any way to erase this???."

So to summarize, I already did the cut and paste to combine one post with my own previous post, but then I couldn't delete the now empty 2nd post.

guenter
Else: You tell me exactly what You want.
enaitz and me are spam admins - we have the needed rights to edit and remove.

...So at this point, if it fits forum protocol, the following 3 messages could all be treated as spam smiling smiley, and deleted:

(1) my message asking if there is any way to erase this???,

(2) your reply to (1) my message asking if there is any way to erase this???

AND

(3) this message I am currently posting (even though I have now spent well over an hour trying to make it as clear as possible smiling smiley)

...Thus leaving the January 01, 2009 09:54PM post responding to both desga2 and JamesD as the last message currently in the thread.[/b] (Hope that all makes sense.) smiling smiley

...And in the future I'll make it much simpler and just say, "guenter, please delete this post." smiling smiley

Posted by: disrupted
Date: January 03, 2009 02:57AM

man.. i got flummoxed just reading your post. you should be banned tongue sticking out smiley

Date: January 03, 2009 03:12AM

disrupted
man.. i got flummoxed just reading your post. you should be banned tongue sticking out smiley

Yeah, and after over an hour I couldn't see any way to make it simpler so I just gave up. sad smiley

But really it's a message to guenter and hopefully it will get deleted. smiling smiley

...and guenter, you can delete this one as well, unless disrupted objects.

Date: January 03, 2009 03:15AM

Guess it would have been a lot simpler to just say, "No, I already did the cut and paste, and I just wanted to delete the empty message."

Posted by: disrupted(unlogged)
Date: January 03, 2009 04:16AM

i don't mind.. it's a funny thread though grinning smiley

Posted by: desga2
Date: January 03, 2009 04:02PM

I think that I ate something strange, because I saw a post with a lot of colors. :O
:B

Yellow submarine ... ? grinning smiley

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2009 04:04PM by desga2.

grinning smiley ***Save us Obi-Wan-guenter!!!*** grinning smiley (Re: Location of K-Meleon saved sessions)
Date: January 04, 2009 05:22AM

desga2
I think that I ate something strange, because I saw a post with a lot of colors. :O
:B

Yellow submarine ... ? grinning smiley

Just as long as you don't eat the yellow snow!!!

But seriously now, we're just getting too silly!grinning smiley

=========================================================

guenter, are you going to save us from this madness by deleting everything back to (and including):

gdv

...or is it beginning to attain a sufficient level of absurdity to be kept for humor value??? :s Naahhhh!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2009 05:27AM by gdv.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.