General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: K-Meleon obsolete....? confused smiley
Posted by: 4td8s
Date: September 24, 2009 05:34PM

I will say that K-meleon won't become obsolete when it will inevitably use the more modern gecko engine.

I know the creators of Seamonkey 2.0 will release a final version of that in late October 2009, which will leave K-meleon the only mozilla based browser left with the outdated gecko 1.8.1.x engine.

Sure, Hao Jiang's KmeleonCCF ME 0.09x builds that have the gecko 1.9.1.x engine are nice but they're still buggy and missing some features. Oh and his 0.09x builds don't work with FTP sites, only HTTP sites as I've confirmed this.

and I still have yet to see K-meleon being developed for Mac and Linux platforms as I know Google Chrome 4.0 is being developed for Windows/Mac/Linux OSes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: desga2
Date: September 24, 2009 06:16PM

Not ever the last is better. tongue sticking out smiley

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: September 25, 2009 06:21AM

I hear you on the linux stuff mate...

You can only use the lizard if you install wine which is not exactly the best solution...

Still seamonkey is there for us and do what i do in puppy linux...

right click -->terminal here --->than---> ./seamonkey-installer
and you can chose the components you want ..usually i chose only the broweser and ignore everyhing else..

My favorite forums
http://www.graphixanstuff.com
http://www.closeprotectionworld.co.uk/index.php?referrerid=11530

Posted by: guenter
Date: September 25, 2009 07:29PM

Gorilla, You can make SeaMonkey do better performance as browser when You kill non needed XUL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2009 07:30PM by guenter.

Date: September 28, 2009 07:09AM

guenter
Gorilla, You can make SeaMonkey do better performance as browser when You kill non needed XUL.

Thank you Guenter...

My favorite forums
http://www.graphixanstuff.com
http://www.closeprotectionworld.co.uk/index.php?referrerid=11530

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: October 12, 2009 04:24PM

the "wine" solution for running KM in linux is a cheap one.
it's more preferrable running browsers like Chrome 4.0/Firefox/SM/Opera on a "native" linux OS without the use of wine.

obsolesence is almost knocking on KM's door now that Seamonkey 2.0 (based on the gecko 1.9.1.x engine) is at RC1 phase and the final version of SM 2.0 will be due out next week. no more SM 1.1.x releases will be made once SM 2.0 comes out.
I'll be getting rid of any gecko 1.8.1 based browsers off of my machines around the end of 2009.

Posted by: guenter
Date: October 12, 2009 07:02PM

4td8s
obsolesence is almost knocking on KM's door

I'll be getting rid of any gecko 1.8.1 based browsers off of my machines around the end of 2009.

1.) Means that PPL that have to run a browser for 9x will not need updates urgently.:cool:

2.) Hacking vulnerabilities is business - who'd do that for K-Meleon 1.5.x/1.8_branch grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2009 07:03PM by guenter.

Posted by: Yogi
Date: October 13, 2009 08:31PM

It depends on what conceivabilities and expectations someone with respect to his browser has. Last but not least priorities (fast for surfing, light on ressources, controllable, highly configurable and customizable) and online predilections (like active content yes/no = JavaScript + plugins) of the user might be decisive factors as well.
So far for me at least obsolescence is a non-issue.
Since the browser is the most important client-software I use on a daily basis I'm glad of having 2 alternatives fitting my taste to use alongside. (K-Meleon + Opera)
No other browser I've tested until now met my personal conceivabilities.

As far as vulnerabilities goes I would rather be concerned about those that might be resulting from the new ECMA engines. I don't know of any for the moment but it wouldn't be something unusual considering browsers development history till know.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: October 13, 2009 11:16PM

Yogi
It depends on what conceivabilities and expectations someone with respect to his browser has. Last but not least priorities (fast for surfing, light on ressources, controllable, highly configurable and customizable) and online predilections (like active content yes/no = JavaScript + plugins) of the user might be decisive factors as well.
So far for me at least obsolescence is a non-issue.
Since the browser is the most important client-software I use on a daily basis I'm glad of having 2 alternatives fitting my taste to use alongside. (K-Meleon + Opera)
No other browser I've tested until now met my personal conceivabilities.

As far as vulnerabilities goes I would rather be concerned about those that might be resulting from the new ECMA engines. I don't know of any for the moment but it wouldn't be something unusual considering browsers development history till know.

Yogi,

Yes, javascript vulnerabilities are one of the root causes of malware out there... even with javascript being enabled so you can use Flash. <sigh>

N

Posted by: ndebord
Date: October 13, 2009 11:18PM

4td8s,

You could argue that SQLite has made Firefox more vulnerable than less. The jury is still out on this major sea change in the Gecko engine for 1.9xx and going forward.

N

Posted by: johnywhy
Date: October 17, 2009 02:33PM

personally, i don't need km to be cross-platform (win, mac, linux). i don't mind having one browser optimized for win, another browser optimized for mac, and another optimized for linux.

if making km cross-platform means making it fatter or slower, it's not worth it.

Posted by: Anonymous User
Date: October 19, 2009 10:41PM

Desga2, Is it normal that after updating to 1.8.1.23 using you patch in the help -> about window it still says: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; es-ES; rv:1.8.1.20) ?

If it's normal, just as a suggestion, it would be great if for future versions this could be improved so it shows the correct GRE version.

Anyway, many thanks for your patch.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: October 19, 2009 10:58PM

@ enaitzjga

I don't think the about should be '.20'. I copied this line from my help-about K-Meleon screen. It shows a '.23' and a Gecko/200980825 date.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.23) Gecko/20090825 K-Meleon/1.5.3

Posted by: siria
Date: October 19, 2009 11:06PM

Definitely not normal... My about-info updated itself automatically with the gecko-updater.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: October 19, 2009 11:31PM

enaitzjga
Desga2, Is it normal that after updating to 1.8.1.23 using you patch in the help -> about window it still says: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; es-ES; rv:1.8.1.20) ?

If it's normal, just as a suggestion, it would be great if for future versions this could be improved so it shows the correct GRE version.

Anyway, many thanks for your patch.

That happens because you have a customized and not the default user-agent. You have to modify in the file l10n.js

------

¿Por qué hablo en inglés? xDDD

Te pasa por lo que estaba diciendo en inglés, que tendrás un agente personalizado.

Tienes que modificar tu user-agent personalizado en el archivo que se encuentra en la carpeta defaults/pref, ahí tienes el archivo l10n.js.

EDIT: si no encuentras tu user-agent personalizado, es que lo has metido a mano desde el menú correspondiente, así que tendrás que hacer lo mismo pero desde ahí.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2009 11:38PM by JohnHell.

Posted by: desga2
Date: October 20, 2009 07:21AM

@ EnaitzJar:
Efectivamente tal y como dice JohnHell, para ver la UA string correcta debes de poner la Identidad del Navegador como Predeterminada.
Herramientas -> Identidad del Navegador -> Predeterminada

Cualquier otra no estará actualizada, excepto la de Seamonkey si marcaste la opción de actualizarla en el Updater.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: Anonymous User
Date: October 21, 2009 12:01PM

Efectivamente, lo que ocurría es que lo tengo predefinido como Firefox (para que Hotmail funcione adecuadamente). Al ponerle el user agent como predeterminado ya se muestra todo perfectamente.

Gracias mil.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.