General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Why kMELEON is SO BIG????
Posted by: Fred
Date: January 26, 2009 11:37PM

I have taken less important parts out of the
chrome and some unneeded dlls out of components.
The RSS reader and the console were not absolutely
necessary, but the Preferences Panel should be
there to avoid forcing a user to meddle with the
configuration files. Although some parts are
missing in it, the most important ones are there.
To go below this size may be possible, but the
browser should still be manageable in a reasonable
way. Packing it with upx is of course the decisive
action to get a small browser unpacked on the harddisk.
Shrinking it from unpacked about 20 Mb to 7.5 Mb
is a noteworthy step, while shrinking it another
2 or 3 Mb is not as important, if the functionality
declines when doing it.
To add speed settings, it is not necessary to recompile.
This can be done adding the concerned Mozilla prefs
in prefs.js, respectively in about:config .
Upxed executables and dlls may be a bit faster,
but not in any case, but they have the disadvantage
to make the browser start slower.
So the main purpose of my minimal variation is for
me to get a browser that is unpacked smaller than
the original in cases where there is little space left
on a harddisk.
Having a faster browser can be achieved if a variation
works without Xul, using a NoXul chrome.

Fred

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: January 27, 2009 12:40AM

Fred
I have taken less important parts out of the
chrome and some unneeded dlls out of components.
The RSS reader and the console were not absolutely
necessary, but the Preferences Panel should be
there to avoid forcing a user to meddle with the
configuration files. Although some parts are
missing in it, the most important ones are there.
To go below this size may be possible, but the
browser should still be manageable in a reasonable
way. Packing it with upx is of course the decisive
action to get a small browser unpacked on the harddisk.
Shrinking it from unpacked about 20 Mb to 7.5 Mb
is a noteworthy step, while shrinking it another
2 or 3 Mb is not as important, if the functionality
declines when doing it.
To add speed settings, it is not necessary to recompile.
This can be done adding the concerned Mozilla prefs
in prefs.js, respectively in about:config .
Upxed executables and dlls may be a bit faster,
but not in any case, but they have the disadvantage
to make the browser start slower.
So the main purpose of my minimal variation is for
me to get a browser that is unpacked smaller than
the original in cases where there is little space left
on a harddisk.
Having a faster browser can be achieved if a variation
works without Xul, using a NoXul chrome.

Fred

Thank you Fred...Tommorow when i will come home from my night shift i will have an other go at the K-meleon..

Posted by: caktus
Date: January 27, 2009 05:01AM

disrupted
browsers that come with their oses..

I used IE browsers for years with no real complaints. It was easy for me to work with while remaining secure. I believe that user's have to be the final (and often the first) real line of defense regardless what browser is used, just like government can make all the regulations it wants but it can't keep people from being stupid. In the passed I have used FF, Opera, Maxthon, and many other's only to return to IE as it always did what I wanted the way I wanted, except like many it is simply too slow on dialup. With IE for years I paid $4 a month for the services of a caching proxy until they pi@@ed me off. Then I began searching for and faster browser when I came across KM. I wish I had found KM years ago which is not only fast and secure but is also fun to just play with various customizations until there is no end in sight. Plus KM has this forum that is so dedicated to helping user's through anything, but of course some one always comes along and pisses in the soup.:mad:

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Posted by: guenter
Date: January 27, 2009 11:28AM

disrupted
it's more important for en-gb to have a proper useragent than an actual localisation because otherwise sites like googlemail will display american english.

i didn't have a chrome(no seamonkey-ar) so i got it from firefox-arabic.

i contacted klaus quite late.. to find out that many of the dialogs were obselete..

kko has all the files now but i think because it was so messed up kko has given up

anyway i don't think there is demand for an arabic locale..so no big deal.

I was jesting about doing all these translations.

1.) en-GB: I think so also.

2.) I will try to use FF-chrome for 1.6 (if I am well & bright enough). More translations and as backend for FFox-extensions. That is one of the reasons why Seamonkey 2. moves to "toolkit". So actually we are also moving to "toolkit" the backend chrome of XUL-Runner.

The problem is that existing K-Meleon XUL extensions want communicator.css for correct looks.
AFAIK they only use the CSS function: @import url("chrome://global/skin/");

So the file must be added, or the extensions recoded or redirected from non existing skin/communicator into skin/global.

Some CSS files seem to have changed name and location. The links must be redirected.

The problem is not doing the changes but finding the places and the codes.
I am lazy! And I do not want to do it again for each new chrome version so the info must go into something like a K-Meleon.manifest.

3.) Annoying to have done redundant work.

4.) kko was not well & has much work now. K-Meleon menu parts are reusable - kko has a script for it, hope it works for Arabic. If it does not?

5.) IMHO not You or kko but the native speakers must do it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2009 11:44AM by guenter.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: January 27, 2009 06:58PM

yes, a general manifest file for all chrome versions will be a very good idea.. will make it easier for upgrades. i agree with native-speakers doing the translations..it will be better and faster than i what i did.. and i think, they won't have to strat from scratch as i did most of it.. the biggest challenge with arabic or any right-to-left language is the dialogs redesign.. it will not only need a good translator but someone with some programming experience... it can really get quite confusing aswell as the error or notify messages that get the event using %s.. sometimes i didn't know where to place it so the sentence would read properly or the %s event will be in the wrong place and will appear very linguistically incorrect.. unfortunately i never got to test out that part because of the mess up i did in chrome.

Posted by: kko
Date: January 27, 2009 08:23PM

disrupted
kko has all the files now but i think because it was so messed up kko has given up sad smiley

Ho, ho, kko is not so quickly giving up! grinning smiley
Real life just kept me busy the last months. A pile of work regarding km accumulated on my desktop. I'm working on it... (sorry for the delay)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2009 05:58PM by kko.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: January 28, 2009 01:37AM

oh no rush.. haste makes waste. i was wondering about something, mozilla people are currently developing 2.0 engine for ff4.. not sure when to be released, my question is; will km 1.9 update to gecko 2.0 easily like from 1.7 to 1.8 or will it require a rechromanisation as well?

Posted by: kko
Date: January 28, 2009 06:12PM

disrupted
i was wondering about something, mozilla people are currently developing 2.0 engine for ff4.. not sure when to be released, my question is; will km 1.9 update to gecko 2.0 easily like from 1.7 to 1.8 or will it require a rechromanisation as well?

No idea, I think it's too early to worry about gecko 2.0...

Posted by: desga2
Date: January 28, 2009 08:46PM

One note for Gorilla no baka:

Are you note that compress files with UPX reduce size in disk but increase size in memory?

I think that this isn't a good idea, because disk size is more cheap and easy to obtain when you talk about ~ 2 MB (currently you can buy 4G USB memory device for less of 10 €), but 2 Mb in memory is a lot of memory in use for old systems with little RAM and no possibilities to expanded it.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: January 28, 2009 09:35PM

desga2

Are you note that compress files with UPX reduce size in disk but increase size in memory?

I think that this isn't a good idea, because disk size is more cheap and easy to obtain when you talk about ~ 2 MB (currently you can buy 4G USB memory device for less of 10 €), but 2 Mb in memory is a lot of memory in use for old systems with little RAM and no possibilities to expanded it.

Yeah i did...

That`s where i am stucked as well...

Also is easy to supercompress embeded.jar but you will end up with the same problems..Is a lot easyer to delete stuff from it and keep only the necesar stuff in order to access about:config and the control panel from edit--->>Preferences

Right now i am working in embed.jar\kmprefs\content

trying to figure out how much can you delete and still have acces to the control panel..

Is there any other alternative?? not using XUL and still have access at the about:config (This is a must to for me.)

Thank you

Posted by: tobias
Date: January 28, 2009 11:10PM

Wich could be the final size of Kmeleon?

Date: January 29, 2009 12:10AM

Gorilla no baka
Is there any other alternative??

not using XUL and still have access at the about:config (This is a must to for me.)

about:config (This is a must to for me.)

1.) Alternative is NO XUL CCF that has Lua Macro Pref-settings-panel.

2.) AFAIK no & some have tried.

3.) Start with the embed that I uploaded to this post. It is K-Meleon's style embed chrome used until 0.8.2. That has working about:config but no new pref-panel. This particular one needs current chrome.dll. It has with normal compression about 330 kb. Chromes are GRE specific. But You can get and some older embed chromes for inspection/comparisson.

To configure the prefs.js I recommend to use a normal chrome that is deleted later. But if You like pain You can do like described in the ancient parts of this forum

The essential dll & xpt files are listed at roll your own browser. But You are with fewer than that.

@tobias - I do not know/remember.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2009 12:32AM by guenter.

Attachments: chrome.7z (280.6 KB)  
Date: January 29, 2009 08:40AM

tobias

Right now one of the K-meleons i am working with is 5.80 MB BUT IS BEEN CHOPPED BY ME (I am not a pro and my K-meleon still uses XUL and some chrome) Same job done with the right guy a pro and the resulting K-meleon would be under 5 MB.
Of course is all for Fun...Because as somebody said 17 mb is not that much nowadays

Date: January 29, 2009 08:54AM

Look here.

Problems? See Windows build prerequisites.

Windows: If you're using Windows XP, you must have Windows XP Service Pack 2 and .NET Framework 2.0.

Install Visual Studio. The express version will work.

Install the Microsoft Windows SDK Update for Windows Vista (even if you don't use Vista).

Install the Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Platform SDK.

You need at least the "Windows Core SDK", "Web Workshop (IE) SDK", and the "Data Access Services (MDAC) SDK".

Install MozillaBuild, a package of additional build tools. (If you get a message saying this application did not install properly then you should see a windows dialog giving you the option to re-install with the 'correct settings'. After that all should be well.)
Open a shell window by running: c:\mozilla-build\start-msvc8.bat

I am using windows server 2000 and they don`t say anything bout it...

In order to compile it you would need XPsad smiley

Date: January 29, 2009 09:24AM

desga2

YA puedes comprarlo y te va a salir bastante barato eso es verdad ...

Pero lo que no sabias tu es que lo de USB memory devices se te van muy lento y ...

no vale la pena, utilisarla para para aumentar la memoria RAM .

Si queres aumentar la velocidad y el rendimiento del ordenador una de las medidas mas facil es modificar la configuración de la memoria virtual

y utilizar el disco duro como almacenamiento temporal para los datos que normalmente podrían estar almacenados en la RAM.

Eso si : Te va a comer espacio en el disco duro, se te va aumentar el uso del diso duro tambien y por lo consiguente te va a joder el disco duro mucho mas rapido...

Pero que le vamos a hacer...

Aun creo que es mucho mejor borar los tinglados...porque una vez boradas ya no estan cargadas el la memoria Ram..

Bueno, pues nada...

Date: January 29, 2009 10:48AM

Gorilla no baka
tobias

Right now one of the K-meleons i am working with is 5.80 MB BUT IS BEEN CHOPPED BY ME (I am not a pro and my K-meleon still uses XUL and some chrome) Same job done with the right guy a pro and the resulting K-meleon would be under 5 MB.
Of course is all for Fun...Because as somebody said 17 mb is not that much nowadays

Good job, good news!! How can we get your compressed version of Kmeleon?
Thank you for your god, Gorilla, it's a great step for Kmeleon!
Low requirements, and now, low space in hard disk!!!!

Date: January 29, 2009 11:40AM

tobias
Gorilla no baka
tobias

Good job, good news!! How can we get your compressed version of Kmeleon?
Thank you for your god, Gorilla, it's a great step for Kmeleon!
Low requirements, and now, low space in hard disk!!!!

smiling smiley Err..Be warned My K-meleon is still in beta stage so to speak...
It still needs some cosmetising

Is gonna take a week or so...

But in the mean time i recomend Fred`s K-Meleon1.5.2-L-minimal which is a nice piece of work and is only 7.50 MB

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/UKmeleon

Date: January 29, 2009 11:42AM

Gorilla no baka

But in the mean time i recomend Fred`s K-Meleon1.5.2-L-minimal which is a nice piece of work and is only 7.50 MB
(

1.) That is Windows 2000 similar to 2000/pro?
Service pack 4 for Windwos 2000/pro!

2.) Fred's version with the old fashioned embed chrome I uploaded is 7.2 MB tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2009 11:54AM by guenter.

Date: January 29, 2009 11:59AM

guenter
Gorilla no baka

(

1.) That is Windows 2000 similar to 2000/pro?
Service pack 4 for Windwos 2000/pro!

2.) Fred's version with the old fashioned embed chrome I uploaded is 7.2 MB tongue sticking out smiley

Mine is Windows Server 2000 Service pack 4
and because i am running Windows Server 2000 Service pack 4 i do need the extra dll`s on my system which raise the K-meleon up 7.50
But a windows xp pro would not need these dll as they are already part of the system

Date: January 29, 2009 02:15PM

Gorilla no baka
Mine is Windows Server 2000 Service pack 4

windows xp pro would not need these dll as they are already part of the system

1.) I asked to answer on an older question:

Gorilla no baka

In order to compile it you would need XPsad smiley

(The latest update for Win 2000 is SP4, so I assume Your Windows is that! ?)

No You need the right SDK and a fairly updated NT based system like xp with SP2 or Win 2000 with SP4. Plus compiler, built environment, sources and cygwin.

Info and links for free or cheaper compilers similar to Dorians links e.g. on how to use different compiler versions with differnt environments.

2.) No they are runtime.dll. You instal and register dll or You place them into K-Meleon's root folder. I prefer the later solution. But You are right I did not count them as part of the package. So it reduces the package from about 8 to about 7.6 if You upx them.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2009 01:36AM by guenter.

Posted by: desga2
Date: January 29, 2009 07:07PM

@ Gorilla no baka:
Yo he usado K-Meleon desde un dispositivo USB y no va tan lento si lo configuras bien.
En la configuración de K-Meleon quitas la caché en disco, que sería lo que más te relentiza y usas unicamente mucha memoria como cahé. En la practica la diferencia no es muy grande y solo se nota que tarda un poco más en arrancar, pero una vez que el navegador esta cargado en memoria la velocidad navegando es similar.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: January 29, 2009 07:17PM

desga2
@ Gorilla no baka:
Yo he usado K-Meleon desde un dispositivo USB y no va tan lento si lo configuras bien.
En la configuración de K-Meleon quitas la caché en disco, que sería lo que más te relentiza y usas unicamente mucha memoria como cahé. En la practica la diferencia no es muy grande y solo se nota que tarda un poco más en arrancar, pero una vez que el navegador esta cargado en memoria la velocidad navegando es similar.

Ah bueno, eso no lo sabia yo..Nunca he usado el lagarto desde un USB...

Gracias macho...!

Un saludo...

Posted by: panzer
Date: January 30, 2009 08:51AM

Gorilla, under Internet Spirit web browsers you have a lot of browsers named and linked. Some of them are Gecko based (Dogzilla, Mozilla, I think FireWolf and Firefly also) and some even have their own engine. Take a look and try some out. Since most of them are abandoned, just take them apart and make something better or even new.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2009 08:56AM by panzer.

Date: January 30, 2009 07:51PM

panzer
Gorilla, under Internet Spirit web browsers you have a lot of browsers named and linked. Some of them are Gecko based (Dogzilla, Mozilla, I think FireWolf and Firefly also) and some even have their own engine. Take a look and try some out. Since most of them are abandoned, just take them apart and make something better or even new.

Awright Panzer..

Thanks a lot man ,,But i have decide long time a go that i will stick with the lizard..
Plus i went a long way away allready to start with a new browser..
I am only days away from finishing What i callgrinning smiley(K-meleon Gorilla) a slimmed down ultracompresed and trimmed version...Is gonna have no skin at all or better said no stupid icons just text based tool bar (Many thanks go to disrupted) for bailing me out ..I was kinnda stuked with the text based toolbar stuff

Now i am just fine tunning it...(Just found out that i do need docshell_base.xpt dom.xpt dom_loadsave.xpt dom_range.xpt for correct web page rendering e.g. input areas code boxes on some of the web pages
)

Posted by: belhet
Date: February 01, 2009 07:58PM

Gorilla no baka
Now i am just fine tunning it...(Just found out that i do need docshell_base.xpt dom.xpt dom_loadsave.xpt dom_range.xpt for correct web page rendering e.g. input areas code boxes on some of the web pages
)

Have you made any tweak in about:config to speed up Kmeleon Gorilla?
What about updates? THKyou.

Date: February 01, 2009 11:48PM

The speed tweaks are more or less the same for any Gecko. (Ones that do not exist for the Gecko version used will cause no error and are overlooked / neglected in a friendly way.)

Use Achilles old FF speed tweaks.

p.s. for 1.9.1 use the prefs that activate new jit. Just in case You want to transplant anything to the newest versions. thx for reading my post.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2009 11:53PM by guenter.

Date: February 02, 2009 01:58PM

Gorilla no baka
tobias

I can't believe this. It sounds good but not so good... Have you said that K-Meleon can be chopped and compressed from 17 mb to 5 mb? Are you sure everthing runs OK in the treamed version? Sorry, but I can't understand how nobody have thought this fact before your decission to tream K-Meleon. Something must be wrong, I think, because if official version's size is 17 Mb or more, I can't understand why nobody compressed K-Meleon before.
- what about security? is the same than official's one?
- what about rendering? is the same quality?
- what about plugins? are loaded too?
I'll be very happy if you reduce K-Meleon to such size of 5 mb, but I think if your version is the same that official's one, what is the reason to maintain K-Meleon official's size in 17 mb? Tobias.

Date: February 02, 2009 04:11PM

It would only have a core functionallity and be similar to K-Meleon 0.8 or earlier.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2009 04:14PM by guenter.

Date: February 02, 2009 07:04PM

tobias
Gorilla no baka
tobias

I can't believe this. It sounds good but not so good... Have you said that K-Meleon can be chopped and compressed from 17 mb to 5 mb? Are you sure everthing runs OK in the treamed version? Sorry, but I can't understand how nobody have thought this fact before your decission to tream K-Meleon. Something must be wrong, I think, because if official version's size is 17 Mb or more, I can't understand why nobody compressed K-Meleon before.
- what about security? is the same than official's one?
- what about rendering? is the same quality?
- what about plugins? are loaded too?
I'll be very happy if you reduce K-Meleon to such size of 5 mb, but I think if your version is the same that official's one, what is the reason to maintain K-Meleon official's size in 17 mb? Tobias.

Ok ...slight corection..:drool:right now i have a k-meleon with 5.98 Mb everything running smoothly..Heck, i even kept the control panel...

So you can check on the plugins and stuff..

Just tell me where to upload it and you guys can download it and have fun with it..It is my gift...

It is a trimed version using a texttoolbar with a spartan apareance ,,,all the eyecandy is gone...and what remained is a slimm mean lean agressive K-meleon...

It does not look nice at all but it does it`s job...

Posted by: soccerfan
Date: February 02, 2009 08:46PM

Gorilla no baka
Just tell me where to upload it and you guys can download it and have fun with it..It is my gift...

Thanks Gorilla. How about xhost.info (Fred uses it too): http://xthost.info

soccerfan

Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.