General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
visual sequencing of replies in forum threads
Posted by: gdv
Date: January 20, 2009 06:09AM

I'm new, both to this forum and to the forum posting process over the last few weeks.

I have my forum message list display options and viewing display options set to the default, so I see messages posted sequentially by when they were posted, independent of who the poster is replying to.

What I'm wondering is if it makes a difference to other viewers, depending on their settings, which message in a lengthy thread I click on to "Reply."

I'm not set up with any news viewers or other ways of looking at or interacting with the forum, and don't even know if that's an option. But from older BB style threads I've seen, it seems like it could make a big difference visually which message I reply to, depending on how others are viewing the thread

I try to remember to choose the most relevant message, but sometimes I'm replying to several comments in the thread and am not sure which to choose. And since it doesn't make a visual difference with my settings, I'm guessing I've sometimes just clicked on the last message in the thread, whether that's the one I was replying to or not.

So on my end, with my settings, it wouldn't make any difference, but my question is would it make it more difficult or confusing for the viewer with different settings if I were to always just "Reply" to the last message in the thread?

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: visual sequencing of replies in forum threads
Posted by: JamesD
Date: January 20, 2009 01:39PM

@ gdv
gdv
So on my end, with my settings, it wouldn't make any difference, but my question is would it make it more difficult or confusing for the viewer with different settings if I were to always just "Reply" to the last message in the thread?

I have put two ways that are used to make sure readers know which post this is a reply to. I don't think the sequence is a problem. If you need to make certain to whom the reply is addressing, use @ name or a quote and that should take care of it.

Re: visual sequencing of replies in forum threads
Posted by: gdv
Date: January 21, 2009 06:57AM

JamesD
I have put two ways that are used to make sure readers know which post this is a reply to. I don't think the sequence is a problem. If you need to make certain to whom the reply is addressing, use @ name or a quote and that should take care of it.

OK, thanks! I've been using the quote procedure or putting the intended's username in boldface, but I had just started to notice the @username approach here and in one other forum. That seems to flag the intended target of the reply a little better than just using boldface.

(Part of why I asked is that the URL for each Reply button is different for each post in a thread, so I was guessing there might be viewers for whom it might make a significant difference visually. If there any other readers who are viewing the forum by some means in which the post Reply URL does make a big difference visually, I'd like to know. Otherwise, will just stick with @username or a quote.)

BTW, are there other ways to view the forum besides in the browser (newsreaders, etc.), or was that all just with the old "newsgroups"? (I haven't yet used a newsreader or anything else, so I don't really know if my question is meaningful or absurd.)

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.