General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
How to reduce your Chrome folder down to 126 KB
Date: January 21, 2009 12:28PM

Well is quite simple...You only need patience and a lot of available time
Here we go :

Delete from KMLITE\chrome (The files marked with ok simply means are allright to delete .The browser will still work after..)

quicknote.manifest
quicknote.jar
microrss.manifest

microrss.jar
licence.txt

deleted from embeded.jar.

mtypes ok

kmprefs ok

console2 ok

flashblock ok

embed.jar\embed\content

branding ok
deleted skin ok
communicator ok
communicator-platform ok
communicator-region .....ok
cookie ok
global.......... do not delete global
global-platform ok to delete
global-region ok to delete
navigator ok to delete
navigator-platform ok
navigator-region ok
necko ok to delete
pipnss ok to delete
pippki ok to delete
xbl-marquee ok to delete

embed.jar\embed\content\global
KMELEON.gif
logo.gif
powered.gif

mozilla.xhtml (The famous text mozilla available when you type about:mozilla )
about.xhtml
about xul
aboutAbout.html
notfound.wav
XPCNativeWrapper.js
xul.css do not delete it
autocomplete.xml ok
autocomplete.css ok
blank.html ok
build.dtd ok
buildconfig.html ok
console.css ok
console.js ok
console.xul ok
consoleBindings.xml ok
netError.xhtml ok
platformXUL.css ok

platformHTMLBindings.xml...Do not delete this one ..You will not be able to see the login fields in Yahoo email acconts and other sites that requires login
nsProgressDialog.xul ok
nsWidgetStateManager.js ok
nsHelperAppDlg.xul ok
plugins.html ok
contents.rdf ok
dummyWindow.xul
dialogOverlay.xul ok
globalOverlay.xul ok
hiddenWindow.xul ok
selectDialog.xul....ok
platformDialogOverlay.xul..ok
commonDialog.xul ok
config.xul ok
charsetOverlay.xul ok
finddialog.xul ok
filepicker.xul ok

embed.jar\embed\content\global\xml
XMLPrettyPrint.css
XMLPrettyPrint.css
XMLPrettyPrint.xml
XMLPrettyPrint.xsl
embed.jar\embed\content\global\svg
delete svg folder

All of the files above mentioned are safe to delete unless specified

Now,how`s that about K-meleon not beeing bloated with unnecessary stuff??

Ps:A smart guy who would like to experiment can easilly make a batch file in ten minute to automatize the process and move the files to a secure location (Just to be on the safe side)
You know the drill

If not exist md blah blah blah
Move path balah b;lah balah

Have fun guys/.//

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2009 07:33PM by Gorilla no baka.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to reduce your Chrome folder down to 126 KB
Posted by: Dorian
Date: January 25, 2009 03:13PM

If you can browse without svg, autocomplete, certificates, about pages, error pages and so on, then that's ok. But don't tell they're completely unnecessary. A lot of users use those features.

Posted by: panzer
Date: January 25, 2009 03:50PM

I think Dorian you will have to make ultralite Km from now on.

Posted by: Dorian
Date: January 26, 2009 02:04PM

I prefer to use my available time to correct bugs and let someone else do it smiling smiley

Date: January 26, 2009 06:04PM

Dorian
If you can browse without svg, autocomplete, certificates, about pages, error pages and so on, then that's ok. But don't tell they're completely unnecessary. A lot of users use those features.

Yeah, I know that a lot of users are using them ,But in my humble opinion they are being used ONLY BECAUSE THEY ARE INTEGRATED PART OF THE K-meleon.Or better said, K-meleon uses them ..The regular user can not be bothered with learning all this stuff..

I set to see just how much one can remove from K-meleon and still being able to surf Internet normaly
Mainly because i have an old laptop with limited amount of Ram...

Right now i am still working in the embed.jar\embed\content\global section and yeah there is some stuf there we can do without it..Stuff like:

KMELEON.gif
logo.gif
powered.gif
mozilla.xhtml (The famous text mozilla)

But let`s face it...From what i have seen most of the developers are just following the others people steps and compiling K-meleon in a standard way..
If you look under the hood there is not MUCH difference between the main code used in others versions and K-meleon`s

For an example i downloaded K-meleon lite K-melon portable And K-meleon ninja along with the official versions and took a look at them:

With small exceptions here and there they almost look the same.. different skins and stuff but the main code is the same...Y'know..??

For example nobody ever considered to remove the hard coded 8 pipelining request limit, Which would make K-melon a lot faster than the other lizards around...
Nobody ever considered to compile a K-meleon with all the tweaks included
Stuff like :nglayout.initialpaint.delay 0
network.http.pipelining", true

And in the network connection are they ALL ARE THE SAME...
network.http.max-connections
network.http.max-connections-per-server
network.http.pipelining.maxrequests

Never the less all of them claims to be faster an meaner than it`s previous version..Go figure..

What i am trying to do is to see just how much of the fluffy stuff and eye candy can be removed and once i did it to try to compile one K-meleon lean, mean
and FAST...(Not only on startup but in the network connection area as well with all the limits in the pipelining area removed as well, and set to as much as a server will take without being refused)

Point is I am still learning C++,and it will take a time till i will be proefficient .

I was thinking that maybe i could raise the DEVS interest in making an ultra slim mean no limits K-meleon

Cheers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2009 06:06PM by Gorilla no baka.

Posted by: guenter
Date: January 26, 2009 10:58PM

Gorilla no baka

Right now i am still working in the embed.jar\embed\content\global section and yeah there is some stuf there we can do without it..Stuff like:
KMELEON.gif
logo.gif
powered.gif

For an example i downloaded K-meleon lite K-melon portable And K-meleon ninja along with the official versions and took a look at them:

1.) The chrome maintainer slims the chrome but also has to try that all works!

Some cannot be removed from embed because certain pages/users use them e.g. logo.gif is used by about.xhtml which in turn is used to show version settings.

And I want my K-Meleon logo to indicate that it is the internal error page

You can for example trim all license blocks (You will not find any unless I overlooked it) and place them as central file(for official some © is needed). You can safely remove any files that use the word print, if I overlooked any. You can remove communicator and navigator folders except formating css (if You do not want to use external chrome such as extensions even e.g. mtype and kmprefs need them).

Best look into properties and dtd (in locale) to get a clue what You want to remove and what You want to keep. It is a dull and tedious job.

Some has been done and removed when past versions were done in private.

( You do not need scrollbars to view videos etc. but a multi purpose must have... ).

2.) e.g. Al lacks the time and the skills to alter K-Ninja significantly.

3.) The official project tries to cater for all. So do most special issues.

p.s. Do not get me wrong - the following is merely info (some from the distant past). Any speed tweak that was available was used in the unofficial 0.8.2+ done by Dorian & others. AFAIK in 2004. Paintdelay and other speed prefs were set (they are prefs, they are not compiled but set later), xpt were joined and dll statically linked into the exe for better startup and performance.

Some tweaks are specific to whether You have DSL or modem. Out of the box they can not be set to best value. For this reason some private issues included a copy of Achilles speed tweaks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2009 11:15PM by guenter.

Date: January 27, 2009 12:38AM

guenter
Gorilla no baka

KMELEON.gif
logo.gif
powered.gif

1.) The chrome maintainer slims the chrome but also has to try that all works!

Some cannot be removed from embed because certain pages/users use them e.g. logo.gif is used by about.xhtml which in turn is used to show version settings.

And I want my K-Meleon logo to indicate that it is the internal error page

You can for example trim all license blocks (You will not find any unless I overlooked it) and place them as central file(for official some © is needed). You can safely remove any files that use the word print, if I overlooked any. You can remove communicator and navigator folders except formating css (if You do not want to use external chrome such as extensions even e.g. mtype and kmprefs need them).

Best look into properties and dtd (in locale) to get a clue what You want to remove and what You want to keep. It is a dull and tedious job.

Some has been done and removed when past versions were done in private.

( You do not need scrollbars to view videos etc. but a multi purpose must have... ).

2.) e.g. Al lacks the time and the skills to alter K-Ninja significantly.

3.) The official project tries to cater for all. So do most special issues.

p.s. Do not get me wrong - the following is merely info (some from the distant past). Any speed tweak that was available was used in the unofficial 0.8.2+ done by Dorian & others. AFAIK in 2004. Paintdelay and other speed prefs were set (they are prefs, they are not compiled but set later), xpt were joined and dll statically linked into the exe for better startup and performance.

Some tweaks are specific to whether You have DSL or modem. Out of the box they can not be set to best value. For this reason some private issues included a copy of Achilles speed tweaks.

Thanks a lot guys...

I really appreciate your input, and beleive it or not i learn new stuff every day from your posts..

However i can not help to notice that you guys have left out the tabu stuff...

REMOVING THE LIMITATIONS IN THE NETWORK PROTOCOL AREA IE: maximum pipeline request which it keeps on staying at 8 in all the versions...

Thank you

Posted by: kko
Date: January 27, 2009 06:00PM

Gorilla no baka
However i can not help to notice that you guys have left out the tabu stuff...

REMOVING THE LIMITATIONS IN THE NETWORK PROTOCOL AREA IE: maximum pipeline request which it keeps on staying at 8 in all the versions...

We are just embedding the Gecko engine, we are not developing it. The Mozilla developers are no fools - they don't introduce a hard coded limit for no reason. Try it yourself. I bet it won't do any good.

Posted by: guenter
Date: January 27, 2009 10:18PM

kko
Try it yourself.

I bet it won't do any good.

1.) ok. Private builds can try.

2.) Do not bet. It is part of the protocol but nobody knows whether its work.

Date: January 29, 2009 09:33AM

guenter
kko
Try it yourself.

I bet it won't do any good.

1.) ok. Private builds can try.

2.) Do not bet. It is part of the protocol but nobody knows whether its work.

Yeah that`s the ideia...It has never been tried..Never..So assuming somebody will be removing the limit ,there`s 3 things that can happen:

1) The browser will not work

2) The browser works and is gonna kick ass on the internet being the fastest browser ever, So fast that could be used as a DDOS attack tool. :O (ASSUMING YOU USE THE MAXIMUM VALUE THE INTEGER CAN TAKE)

Which will make the developer famous...(Not with the server`s administratorstongue sticking out smiley)

3) YOU ONLY RAISE THE LIMIT YOU DO NOT REMOVE IT COMPLETLY JUST SET IT UP TO 100
AND AGAIN YOU WILL HAVE THE FASTEST BROWSER ON THE PLANET

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2009 09:34AM by Gorilla no baka.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.