General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Two annoyances about k-meleon
Posted by: psmith
Date: January 25, 2009 01:46PM

Two annoyances about k-meleon:

1. On startup, k-meleon displays the annoying "newer version. update?" message. Why is there no way to turn off? I have asked and been told how to deactivate it and done so, but it DOES NOT work. I still get the annoyance everytime I start K-meleon unless I have *the* latest version. I'll download the latest version when *****I***** want to, not have k-meleon harass me with it every time I start it.

2. I just installed the latest version today and installed it. WITHOUT my permission, the "quickstart" was activated, despite the fact that I selected it NOT to be started. Why was my selection ignored? Given how small k-meleon is and how fast it loads, a quick start isn't even necessary.

Just how stupid and/or arrogant are the programmers to ignore what users want, to override a user's choices, and to annoy users with things they don't ask for?

I am really rethinking my past donation of money and whether I should continue telling people positive things about k-meleon.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Two annoyances about k-meleon
Posted by: Dorian
Date: January 25, 2009 03:07PM

1) The updater is just a plugin which you can disable in the preferences panel. If really that does not work, then you can directly delete the update plugin from the kplugins folder.

2) We're a small team, we can't check everything for every version. We heavily rely on users to report that kind of issues. And that's the first time I've heard of this one.

Now, if those are the only annoyance you have about k-meleon, then I can consider myself pretty satisfied.

Posted by: panzer
Date: January 25, 2009 03:18PM

Dorian, please check if No script is fully compatible with 1.5.2 portable Km. i have made a clean install and sometimes, I can open pages like Sky news only with No script on off (add to white list does not help), the same on Youtube. If you put sth on add to white list, you can watch Ytb although No script was ON, right?

On previous versions, when you left clicked on NS icon, the red sign dissapeared. Now, this is not the case. Is this problem with KM and No script updates or Juju's No script.exe?

Everything else works OK.

Posted by: Anonymous User
Date: January 25, 2009 04:04PM

I've found a third annoyance on M-Meleon: the attitude of some people as psmith.

Take it easy man.

Posted by: caktus
Date: January 25, 2009 05:06PM

psmith
Just how stupid and/or arrogant........

As I understand, the developers and other forum members are volunteers who basically work on KM browsers as a project or hobby in their spare time. For my self, as well as others I assume, KM is a very fast browser when using dialup. And for some people including my self, KM is also a practical learning tool. I have found that the different KM browsers can also be fun to just play around with. For all of these reasons I believe the Dev's and Moderator's deserve
a big

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Posted by: desga2
Date: January 25, 2009 06:58PM

psmith
Just how stupid and/or arrogant are the programmers to ignore what users want, to override a user's choices, and to annoy users with things they don't ask for?

I'm a programmer, thanks, now I can think that all users are stupid because don't know to use my programs. tongue sticking out smiley

1) As Dorian said, Update Checker is a plugin that you can disable it in Preferences -> K-Meleon Plugins. Or if you don't like it delete "update.dll" file from \kplugins folder.

2) Are you think that this can be a little bug? Programmers aren't devils, only are person and have mistake. If quick start was installed unlike it, you only have to delete K-Meleon Loader from your start system folder: Start -> Programs -> Start.

Is not it easier to ask that angry? smiling smiley

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2009 07:00PM by desga2.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: January 25, 2009 07:26PM

caktus

a big

hmm..when will that smiley get drunk?

... or need to pee?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2009 07:27PM by disrupted.

Date: January 25, 2009 07:31PM

He is ppeing at the back. You can't see that.

Date: January 25, 2009 09:17PM

panzer
He is ppeing at the back. You can't see that.

ah! perhaps that's why this thread stinks grinning smiley

Posted by: guenter
Date: January 25, 2009 09:58PM

@panzer - maybe it is the same problem that was fixed by desga2?

p.s. Folks, Please ... IMHO we are not at the Firefox Forums.

Date: January 25, 2009 10:01PM

You mean embed.jar? No. I have it.

Date: January 25, 2009 11:34PM

guenter
p.s. Folks, Please ... IMHO we are not at the Firefox Forums.

ok.. no more silly jokes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2010 09:43PM by disrupted.

Date: January 26, 2009 01:46AM

panzer

1.) Yes I meant that.

2.) OK

3.) Do You use all *.dll files that came with that version.
desga2 said something like that the embded.jar fixed a Mozilla bug.

@disrupted ths again for macrosmiling smiley

& Do not search CD for rss.dll it does not works with 1.5 sad smiley
so I inquired whether a newer rss.dll existed.

Also maybe have a look into console2.
I do not understand enough macro language to understand but it complains.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2009 01:55AM by guenter.

Posted by: disrupted(unlogged)
Date: January 26, 2009 02:45AM

addfeed macro? yes..it was missing a semicolon

here's addfeed macro after revision (can be added to macro wiki)

# K-Meleon Macros (http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=MacroLanguage)

# - adds command(add RSSFeed) in linksave menu to pass rss/atom feeds URL to newsfox-------
#
# thankyou desga and jamesD----------------------------

addfeed{
$FEED = gensub("?", "%3F", "1" ,$LinkURL);
opentab("chrome://newsfox/content/addurl.xul?".$FEED);
}

addfeed_BuildMenu{
setmenu(LinkSave,macro,"Add RSSFeed",addfeed);
}

$OnInit=$OnInit."addfeed_BuildMenu;";
# ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$macroModules=$macroModules."addfeed;";

Date: January 26, 2009 03:11AM

disrupted
hmm..when will that smiley get drunk?

... or need to pee?

Never! He uses up all the yeast and sugars to stay stoned out of his wits.grinning smiley

Charlie

Date: January 26, 2009 03:13AM

enaitzjga
I've found a third annoyance on M-Meleon: the attitude of some people as psmith.

ain't life a blitch?

Charlie

Date: January 26, 2009 02:09PM

disrupted(unlogged)
addfeed macro? yes..it was missing a semicolon

here's addfeed macro after revision (can be added to macro wiki)

1.) kko's new addition to console2 is a eye rolling smiley instrument against future

2.) I forgot to post a translation support file from inside my ./locales/de-DE folder.

# LANGUAGE DEFINITION FILE
# Name addfeed.kml
# Target language German (de-DE)
#---------------------------------------------
# Added for addfeed.kmm Extension
Add RSSFeed=RSSFeed hinzufügen

Date: January 26, 2009 06:38PM

caktus
psmith
Just how stupid and/or arrogant........

As I understand, the developers and other forum members are volunteers who basically work on KM browsers as a project or hobby in their spare time. For my self, as well as others I assume, KM is a very fast browser when using dialup. And for some people including my self, KM is also a practical learning tool. I have found that the different KM browsers can also be fun to just play around with. For all of these reasons I believe the Dev's and Moderator's deserve
a big

Ditto here too

Date: January 26, 2009 07:36PM

Moderators too? I like that.

Fast DSL me a few Newcastle Brown.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2009 07:42PM by guenter.

Date: January 27, 2009 05:13AM

I've found the ultimate annoyance with KM. Not enough annoyances.grinning smiley

Charlie

Date: January 27, 2009 09:57AM

my biggest annoyance with kmeleon is the lack of a sidebar.. especially because of history. i don't like how history opens in th mozilla xul window.. it makes me feel like i'm using an external application, kinda reminds me of nirsoft's history viewer which is a very good tool but i mean.. i don't feel that that history window is part of kmeleon.

Date: January 27, 2009 04:37PM

guenter
panzer

1.) Yes I meant that.

I think I used embed.jar from mine "crazy" version of Km.

But I think on some pages No script does not work as it should, that is all.

Posted by: desga2
Date: January 27, 2009 05:24PM

disrupted
my biggest annoyance with kmeleon is the lack of a sidebar.. especially because of history. i don't like how history opens in th mozilla xul window.. it makes me feel like i'm using an external application, kinda reminds me of nirsoft's history viewer which is a very good tool but i mean.. i don't feel that that history window is part of kmeleon.

Really History window isn't part of K-Meleon, you must remember that history is a plugin for K-Meleon (similar to external tool).

I think that K-Meleon do a big step with 1.5 version (real Tabs) and K-Meleon will do an other big step with 1.6 (Gecko 1.9), but K-Meleon plugins are old plugins. K-Meleon plugins need new features for work in new version levels.
There are two very important plugins; Bookmarks and History, that continue work basically like in 1.1 versions.

I want work in this plugins for improve new features but I think that my new plugins not work in new K-Meleon 1.6 with Gecko 1.9 and I'll work in it a lot for nothing. sad smiley

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: January 27, 2009 05:30PM

panzar
some pages No script does not work as it should

Same here. But then, some one here in the forums did mention that some web sites/pages would not work properly with NS enabled. Personally, I have been thinking about removing NS or just leaving it disabled.

Charlie

Date: January 27, 2009 07:09PM

desga, i agree.. i don't think you should work on anything unless you're positive it will work.. i think a big migration to 1.9 gecko will require a long-standing alpha version before a stable.. this way and during that alpha phase; you and rest of devs will have enough time to test out everything and ensure a smooth transition without any lingering problems or bugs. an alpha for at least 3-4 months isn't too long for a major overhaul.

charlie.. in me opinion, i don't believe either noscript or greasemeleon are 100% compatible with 1.5.x.. i've noticed that both of them altered websites and caused more trouble than what they're worth.. they need to be rewritten for better integration.

Date: January 27, 2009 07:37PM

caktus
panzar
some pages No script does not work as it should

Same here. But then, some one here in the forums did mention that some web sites/pages would not work properly with NS enabled. Personally, I have been thinking about removing NS or just leaving it disabled.

Yes. It is not worthed to go back to 1.5 version just because of this.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: January 27, 2009 08:35PM

desga2
There are two very important plugins; Bookmarks and History, that continue work basically like in 1.1 versions.

I think Favorites is quite old, too.

I really wish that I knew C++. I understand how to program. I just cannot find any information on what is in and how to use the various functions in the includes.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.