General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Why I think KM is better...
Posted by: reeko124
Date: January 30, 2009 10:56AM

I decided to make this post after hearing people talking about K-Meleon(KM) like it is really nothing special or is a cheap imitation of FireFox(FF). From what I have read from the people that have been here the longest is that KM was here before FF.Sadly I wish I had known this before I knew about FF. Its a shame more people don't use KM or know it even exist. They are just so used to FF being better then anything else. You read reviews and FF is always number one but KM isn't in the same discussion. I don't know why really but maybe because it is based on the same engine? I am the guy that made the post with all the reviews of different browsers that I have tried. I tried them all and liked some features in them better then KM but I always come back to KM as my browser of choice. I am going to tell you why I always do. I found KM after getting tired of FF. I think I found it at www.msfn.org forum after reading a thread about browsers. I didn't want to link another forum but they brag about how good KM is on Win98 so I feel its ok if I do. Here is what I like about it.

1. It uses the least amount of RAM out of all the browsers I have used besides some of the IE based browsers which I refuse to use. It doesn't have the dreaded memory leak like the great FF. You can question my thoughts on it using less RAM but you can't say FF doesn't have a memory leak.

2. The devolopers here do not forget about Win98 users like most browsers do now. I am currently on my XP computer but also have a Win98 computer and it is just as good on there as it is here. FF quit making it for Win98. I put it on Win98 after downloading a kernel to use it on there but it was slow.

3. It has 2 things that I feel are almost a must for a browser.They are the plugins Ad Block Plus(ABP) and NoScript. FF also has those and a wide array of other stuff that honestly I don't feel is needed. All they do is slow down the loading and running of the browser. Do they eat up more memory? I don't really know. KM doesn't have alot compared to what FF or Opera has but all KM has is what you really need.

4. This part I love because I am using this on dial-up at the moment. You can turn off basically everything inside the browser and make it basically like a text browser or keep it as is and see pages fully. I block everything but images and turn on javacript when I am using forums or checking email. It makes KM so fast. Another benefit is you don't have to open up 2-3 tabs to turn that stuff off just go up to tools or press F7, F8, or F9. I have been using Opera 10 alpha lately and it appears to be faster then KM but I can't turn off page colors without it breaking up the page stylesheet. I figure someone here will tell me how to do that. Which bring me to the next part.

5. This forum is awesome. Anytime someone has a question including myself it gets answered pretty quickly. You go to other forums and they link you to a bunch of howto stuff instead of answering your question. Another great thing about this forum is we talk about other browsers and no one says this isn't a FF or Opera forum. Someone asks if there is a smaller KM and 4 or 5 of us are trying to do it. Thats what I like about this place. To many fanboys at other forums that think their stuff is the best and to have a problem with it or offer tweaks is blasphemy.

Thats my take on it lol

Edit: I wrote the above a couple days ago but I wanted to add that I never seen a browser have as many options as this one. It really is the users browser.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2009 11:31AM by reeko124.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why I think KM is better...
Posted by: disrupted
Date: January 30, 2009 06:25PM

my biggest concern with firefox is xul.. it's the cause of all its problems. you can't just built all your gui parts on xul.. everything in ff is xul, the core, main interface and menus are all xul... this is what causes the delays.. the sudden irresponsiveness and the inevitable memory leak.

xul is one of the worse platform-independant languages.. some programs like image editors are written with gtk+ or python which although not as good as being native-os; they are way better than xul and rarely suffer from memory leaks- inkscape, the gimp, the pidgen messenger, juice podcast feeds are few examples of python and gtk programs that chose to write in a platform-independant language and have proved to be superior to xul.

then there's the other problem of xul extensions, they get wrapped so tightly around the core of firefox because they get all embeded in the menus and interface; they cause more sluggishness and leaks. you can throw in as many xul extensions in kmeleon and the performance is hardly affected... throw more than 5 extensions at firefox and it will start coughing right away.. you can test this by deleting an extension chrome while km is running but try doing that with firefox and it won't let you because they have to be loaded with it.. km doesn't need that..an extension;s chrome will be called only when needed (with the exception of adblockplus). and the menu caller is made with an independant macro and doesn't need the chrome for that.

as the gecko engine advances and gets biggers, xul is becoming more and more of a drag.. i don't know if the mozilla devs are ignoring that on purpose but it's certain that they realise it. when chrome was out you can read it everywhere on mozillazine and firefox-fans forums about how google made a fast browser with its wacky interface .. that's when the kmeleon comparisons started and xul was questioned amongst devs and users alike..some users even went as far as suggesting to convert to qtwebkit not knowing that xul is the is the real culprit and not the engine.

it's quite a dilemma for firefox devs... its hard to turn around now and how will they deal with outsider devs who write all those entirely xul extensions on which the users have become so reliant on. many ff users refuse to update the browser until their favourite extensions were updated to the new release.. now imagine if mozilla decided to use another language for the interface, what will those users do?

platform-independancy isn't always a good thing and that's what happened with ff.. it tried to achieve everything and excelled in very little.. many see firefox as the greatest of all browsers when infact it's a compromise and a very poor one. even seamonkey is a much better concept since it's a whole suite: browser, email client and wysiwyg editor; it's more justified.. atleast if you're going to bloat anyway then bundle all you can.. this way the xul crap gets loaded once in memory and you can run several applications from that load instead of just a single browser.. it makes more sense.

xul is also starting to show its age and limitations with newer gre's and it seems mozilla devs are ignoring its bugs because they can no longer deal with it.. i've been testing minefield4 with gecko 2.0 for some months now and i noticed some serious interface bugs.. to be honest they are not easily invoked unless you're out to fuck the browser and i thought this is not even an alpha version, it's experiemntal and will naturally be ironed out with a final release.. then a couple of days ago i downloaded ff3 for the first time to test few thing with 1.9 and i wasn't surprised to find the exact same minefielf bugs existed there too.. they are simply ignoring things because it's absolutely impossible that they are unaware of them.

chrome and ie might benefit from that.. i doubt that chrome will ever be a big player, even though it's starting to popup on all those "get another browser loser" websites but that means google is giving hands out for advertising their product.. it isn't necesssarily a popularity indicator. ie8 claims to be 'the most secure browser ever' [ how many times have we heard that before until the next vulernability is discovered and ms addresses it be blocking out a feature that causes the leak instead of actually fixing the bug.. but according to insiders the new engine is a hybrid between tasman and mshtml making it much more standard-compliant .. tasman waas a promising engine that was written specifically for mac's ie but didn't live long and was never applied in windows ie until recently. they might gain some ground back but as time has proved, making the browser embedded and integrated as part of the os is never a smart choice when it comes to security. it's granted that serious security-vulnerabilities will emerge and the ie8 patches will start rolling out as soon as it gets popular and ie aficionados start updating.

opera is definitely one of those best understated browsers albeit some plugins causes it to hiccup but that's not opera's fault. opera biggest mistake was keeping the browser 'adware or buy' for a long time when it was crucial to go freeware but it's never too late and the fact that you don't see it listed on "use these browsers or go away" sites means they are not sleeping with the big companies and they are proving themselves by listening to users and developing a good and uncompromising product..

check this link:
http://212.58.226.77/2/hi/technology/7852340.stm
see the browsers bbc has chose to link to on the right:ie, firefox, safari and chrome.. bbc is now an ad-driven website.. a couple of years ago when bbc wasn't running on endorsements, you'd have seen opera listed on any browser-tech related article.. now that they are sleeping around; opera has been removed and replaced by chrome! and those market share numbers are rubbish.. ms has 68%? half of that number are older ie versions..many ie5s and 6's where users cannot or refuse to update and atleast 10-15 percent of that number are ie shells which by default spoof the agent so technically even though it's a trident engine..those are not really ies.. same for firefox.. atleast 5% are other gecko browsers identifying themselves as ff.. opera by default is ie i think. so if there is a so-called 'browsers war' atleast on windows platforms; it's actually between ieshells and gecko-browsers..

opera may never get the share it deserves on the desktop arena but it seems they will be out to conquer on portable devices.

Posted by: Yogi
Date: January 30, 2009 07:39PM

disrupted
opera by default is ie i think

My bad but I'm not quite sure what you exactly mean.
Opera by default identifies as Opera. You can only mask Opera on a per site basis in order to bypass sites blocking Opera purposeful.
Concerning Opera's rendering engine it's the Presto engine, an exclusive of Opera Software developement.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2009 07:39PM by Yogi.

Date: January 30, 2009 08:03PM

disrupted
my biggest concern with firefox is xul.. it's the cause of all its problems. you can't just built all your gui parts on xul.. everything in ff is xul, the core, main interface and menus are all xul... this is what causes the delays.. the sudden irresponsiveness and the inevitable memory leak.

xul is one of the worse platform-independant languages.. some programs like image editors are written with gtk+ or python which although not as good as being native-os; they are way better than xul and rarely suffer from memory leaks- inkscape, the gimp, the pidgen messenger, juice podcast feeds are few examples of python and gtk programs that chose to write in a platform-independant language and have proved to be superior to xul.

then there's the other problem of xul extensions, they get wrapped so tightly around the core of firefox because they get all embeded in the menus and interface; they cause more sluggishness and leaks. you can throw in as many xul extensions in kmeleon and the performance is hardly affected... throw more than 5 extensions at firefox and it will start coughing right away.. you can test this by deleting an extension chrome while km is running but try doing that with firefox and it won't let you because they have to be loaded with it.. km doesn't need that..an extension;s chrome will be called only when needed (with the exception of adblockplus). and the menu caller is made with an independant macro and doesn't need the chrome for that.

as the gecko engine advances and gets biggers, xul is becoming more and more of a drag.. i don't know if the mozilla devs are ignoring that on purpose but it's certain that they realise it. when chrome was out you can read it everywhere on mozillazine and firefox-fans forums about how google made a fast browser with its wacky interface .. that's when the kmeleon comparisons started and xul was questioned amongst devs and users alike..some users even went as far as suggesting to convert to qtwebkit not knowing that xul is the is the real culprit and not the engine.

it's quite a dilemma for firefox devs... its hard to turn around now and how will they deal with outsider devs who write all those entirely xul extensions on which the users have become so reliant on. many ff users refuse to update the browser until their favourite extensions were updated to the new release.. now imagine if mozilla decided to use another language for the interface, what will those users do?

platform-independancy isn't always a good thing and that's what happened with ff.. it tried to achieve everything and excelled in very little.. many see firefox as the greatest of all browsers when infact it's a compromise and a very poor one. even seamonkey is a much better concept since it's a whole suite: browser, email client and wysiwyg editor; it's more justified.. atleast if you're going to bloat anyway then bundle all you can.. this way the xul crap gets loaded once in memory and you can run several applications from that load instead of just a single browser.. it makes more sense.

xul is also starting to show its age and limitations with newer gre's and it seems mozilla devs are ignoring its bugs because they can no longer deal with it.. i've been testing minefield4 with gecko 2.0 for some months now and i noticed some serious interface bugs.. to be honest they are not easily invoked unless you're out to fuck the browser and i thought this is not even an alpha version, it's experiemntal and will naturally be ironed out with a final release.. then a couple of days ago i downloaded ff3 for the first time to test few thing with 1.9 and i wasn't surprised to find the exact same minefielf bugs existed there too.. they are simply ignoring things because it's absolutely impossible that they are unaware of them.

chrome and ie might benefit from that.. i doubt that chrome will ever be a big player, even though it's starting to popup on all those "get another browser loser" websites but that means google is giving hands out for advertising their product.. it isn't necesssarily a popularity indicator. ie8 claims to be 'the most secure browser ever' [ how many times have we heard that before until the next vulernability is discovered and ms addresses it be blocking out a feature that causes the leak instead of actually fixing the bug.. but according to insiders the new engine is a hybrid between tasman and mshtml making it much more standard-compliant .. tasman waas a promising engine that was written specifically for mac's ie but didn't live long and was never applied in windows ie until recently. they might gain some ground back but as time has proved, making the browser embedded and integrated as part of the os is never a smart choice when it comes to security. it's granted that serious security-vulnerabilities will emerge and the ie8 patches will start rolling out as soon as it gets popular and ie aficionados start updating.

opera is definitely one of those best understated browsers albeit some plugins causes it to hiccup but that's not opera's fault. opera biggest mistake was keeping the browser 'adware or buy' for a long time when it was crucial to go freeware but it's never too late and the fact that you don't see it listed on "use these browsers or go away" sites means they are not sleeping with the big companies and they are proving themselves by listening to users and developing a good and uncompromising product..

check this link:
http://212.58.226.77/2/hi/technology/7852340.stm
see the browsers bbc has chose to link to on the right:ie, firefox, safari and chrome.. bbc is now an ad-driven website.. a couple of years ago when bbc wasn't running on endorsements, you'd have seen opera listed on any browser-tech related article.. now that they are sleeping around; opera has been removed and replaced by chrome! and those market share numbers are rubbish.. ms has 68%? half of that number are older ie versions..many ie5s and 6's where users cannot or refuse to update and atleast 10-15 percent of that number are ie shells which by default spoof the agent so technically even though it's a trident engine..those are not really ies.. same for firefox.. atleast 5% are other gecko browsers identifying themselves as ff.. opera by default is ie i think. so if there is a so-called 'browsers war' atleast on windows platforms; it's actually between ieshells and gecko-browsers..

opera may never get the share it deserves on the desktop arena but it seems they will be out to conquer on portable devices.

That`s exactly one of the reasons i came back to K-meleon...Think about it : the lizard was here before FF ( EFFIN` FOX :O) ..and has survived so long out there so it must mean something..

I still remember the days when browser were small fast and reliable and i miss it...

After i read that it is still able to run on windows 95 it has become my favorite..

Ps:I hear ya on the XUL stuff....

Posted by: disrupted
Date: January 30, 2009 09:51PM

yes i meant the user-agent in opera.. i think i once saw it identify as ie..maybe i changed it to test something and forgot to change it back..it was a local html page

Posted by: guenter
Date: January 30, 2009 10:44PM

reeko124

1. least amount of RAM besides some of the IE based browsers

2. The devolopers here do not forget about Win98 users like most browsers

4. This part I love because I am using this on dial-up at the moment.

5. no one says this isn't a FF or Opera forum. Someone asks if there is a smaller KM and 4 or 5 of us are trying to do it.

K-Meleon project newer had a chance to advertize & supports unpopular OS smiling smiley

1.) IE processes run hidden in the back - smallest full browsers K-Meleon and Opera.

2.) Win9x support will only last till K-Meleon 1.6 arrives. Reason IMHO lack of compilers (like it or not MS dropped their product from supported list) and funds.

4.) It is either K-M or Opera for dialup. Opera 10 faster for the new JavaScript heavy pages. Hao's and Fred's previews with GRE 1.9.1 IMHO fastest.

5.a.) We sometimes do complain about ardent fans posting here tongue sticking out smiley
5.b.) We have done the same and know ropes and strings that are attached grinning smiley
So why should not we try to share what we know.

Posted by: jmillar
Date: January 30, 2009 11:46PM

I love k-Meleon (I'm using Fred's SM2 1.9.1 version now). But I'm also using FF 3.0.5, because I occasionally need its features, and don't kid yourself, it IS a good browser.

I've been using FF since it was called Phoenix, then Firebird, and one of the machines I vetatested it on was an 166 MMX Intel machine with 64 MB of RAM and a 500 MB HD, with W95, and it ran well! I was connected to the Internet with ADSL line. Performance was good, the clunker coped with it! Machines have grown, the code has grown to fit the size available. Happily the new iterations of Mozilla GRE are faster in execution than 'Bon Echo' FF 2.0, which was a slug.

I remember reading one post a long time ago that said essentially "if you've got the memory, USE IT, otherwise it's a waste of available resources". True. My colleague uses a 2.4 Core 2 duo MacBook with 2 Gb of RAM, and FF really 3.0.5 really flies on that current 'average' machine. 1 Gb of RAM would be more than enough. But to think I ran the early betas on 64 MB!

FF has grown very very refined, and if you've got the right machine use it if you like it.

I do, but I like "lean and mean" K-Meleon better. :-) And the forums have the feel that the FF forums used to have way back when it was just in development, friendly, relaxed, knowledgeable.

And people like Fred and Hao just keep coming up with exciting experimental variants!

Date: January 31, 2009 12:02AM

jmillar
I love k-Meleon (I'm using Fred's SM2 1.9.1 version now). But I'm also using FF 3.0.5, because I occasionally need its features, and don't kid yourself, it IS a good browser.

I've been using FF since it was called Phoenix, then Firebird, and one of the machines I vetatested it on was an 166 MMX Intel machine with 64 MB of RAM and a 500 MB HD, with W95, and it ran well! I was connected to the Internet with ADSL line. Performance was good, the clunker coped with it! Machines have grown, the code has grown to fit the size available. Happily the new iterations of Mozilla GRE are faster in execution than 'Bon Echo' FF 2.0, which was a slug.

I remember reading one post a long time ago that said essentially "if you've got the memory, USE IT, otherwise it's a waste of available resources". True. My colleague uses a 2.4 Core 2 duo MacBook with 2 Gb of RAM, and FF really 3.0.5 really flies on that current 'average' machine. 1 Gb of RAM would be more than enough. But to think I ran the early betas on 64 MB!

FF has grown very very refined, and if you've got the right machine use it if you like it.

I do, but I like "lean and mean" K-Meleon better. :-) And the forums have the feel that the FF forums used to have way back when it was just in development, friendly, relaxed, knowledgeable.

And people like Fred and Hao just keep coming up with exciting experimental variants!

That was a nice propaganda...For firefox...

The fact that one might have space and Ram memory enough to calculate the meaning of the universe,It does not mean that one HAVE TO put with FF's memory leakages, slowness and all the other nasty stuff FF comes with...The Eye candy can not hide the fact the FF is going slower more bloated and has adopted a microsoft style like:showel in everything you can think of because soon or later somebody MIGHT use it...

Machines have grown, the code has grown to fit the size available

That's nonsesne...A really good programing...it is always simple clean and elegant..Look at the latest Opera usb 10..is only 7MB and it is faster on start up and on the heavy java web pages milion times faster that firefox..Browesers like Opera usb 10 AND K-MELEON ARE THE PROVE THAT you do not need 40-85 MB to render a webpage like youtube..

That's what i like about our lizard..

Posted by: guenter
Date: January 31, 2009 02:39AM

XUL is slow but a RAD tool for fast development. Fox has a pre in XUL & extensions.

If I need a special extension I can & must life with slow XUL, but I can must bare it not for every day surfing.

Vital every day extensions were provided by their creators or interested K-Meleon users - I must & can dispense with the rest tongue sticking out smiley

p.s. Current K-Meleon devs use XUL for the always changing congiguation grinning smiley
IMHO that is ideal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2009 02:44AM by guenter.

Posted by: jmillar
Date: January 31, 2009 01:29PM

Gorilla no baka
jmillar

The fact that one might have space and Ram memory enough to calculate the meaning of the universe,It does not mean that one HAVE TO put with FF's memory leakages, slowness and all the other nasty stuff FF comes with...The Eye candy can not hide the fact the FF is going slower more bloated and has adopted a microsoft style like:showel in everything you can think of because soon or later somebody MIGHT use it...

That's nonsesne...A really good programing...it is always simple clean and elegant..Look at the latest Opera usb 10..is only 7MB and it is faster on start up and on the heavy java web pages milion times faster that firefox..Browesers like Opera usb 10 AND K-MELEON ARE THE PROVE THAT you do not need 40-85 MB to render a webpage like youtube..

I don't think my post constituted FF advocacy. I'm using K-Meleon as my regular browser. In fact I'm using Fred's 1.9.1 preb3 version right now (which on an A-B comparison seems quite a bit faster than FF's 2.1 preb3) I also am a fan of slim, trim, well coded programs and lighter, simpler equals better. I remember fondly the speed, power and functionalitiy that the World-Perfect folks were able to pack into their 4.2 Word Processor (it was coded in assembly language!) I wrote a couple of books on it and still use it occasionally. :-) The only reason I respect Mr Gates (Bill) is that when he was just starting out he managed to pack a BASIC interpreter in 4Kb of memory. I have a copy of Ventura Publisher 1.0 lying around, we are talking mid 80's here, and it ran fine on an XT 8088 PC, for Pete's sake! My 8 yr old daughter really wowed her schoolmates with her homework back then. ;-) I HATE planned obsolescence. I hate being pushed to upgrade hardware just because some monopolist is trying to shove a bloated OS on us. Is my position sufficiently clear on my feelings on code and bloat? The person who runs FF on the Mac also runs Camino, A kind of KM for MAC, but still, those remarkably clever add-ons prove very handy sometimes and make FF very versatile, and run sufficiently well on a boat-anchor I have lying around right now (an ancient 32 bit Athlon). If MS pushes me, I have my Ubuntu distro ready for installation. :-)

Someone observed recently that these fora are remarkably inclusive, tolerant, agnostic and ecumenical. I definitely like our "free thinking", "hype-free" atmosphere.

Date: January 31, 2009 11:17PM

jmillar
Gorilla no baka
jmillar

I don't think my post constituted FF advocacy. I'm using K-Meleon as my regular browser. In fact I'm using Fred's 1.9.1 preb3 version right now (which on an A-B comparison seems quite a bit faster than FF's 2.1 preb3) I also am a fan of slim, trim, well coded programs and lighter, simpler equals better. I remember fondly the speed, power and functionalitiy that the World-Perfect folks were able to pack into their 4.2 Word Processor (it was coded in assembly language!) I wrote a couple of books on it and still use it occasionally. :-) The only reason I respect Mr Gates (Bill) is that when he was just starting out he managed to pack a BASIC interpreter in 4Kb of memory. I have a copy of Ventura Publisher 1.0 lying around, we are talking mid 80's here, and it ran fine on an XT 8088 PC, for Pete's sake! My 8 yr old daughter really wowed her schoolmates with her homework back then. ;-) I HATE planned obsolescence. I hate being pushed to upgrade hardware just because some monopolist is trying to shove a bloated OS on us. Is my position sufficiently clear on my feelings on code and bloat? The person who runs FF on the Mac also runs Camino, A kind of KM for MAC, but still, those remarkably clever add-ons prove very handy sometimes and make FF very versatile, and run sufficiently well on a boat-anchor I have lying around right now (an ancient 32 bit Athlon). If MS pushes me, I have my Ubuntu distro ready for installation. :-)

Someone observed recently that these fora are remarkably inclusive, tolerant, agnostic and ecumenical. I definitely like our "free thinking", "hype-free" atmosphere.

Point taken....

My bad...

Your position is clearly enough now...Somehow i took you for one of those fan boys who's first computer it was a dual core ad his first OS Windows Vista ultimate..

Nothing Against Windows Vista OR windows 7 ...I am sure that for someone who just bought his first computer,it's the cat's meow..
But for those of us who have been around long enough to remember WindowsNT and windows 2000...

Put it this way...I am still running Windows Server 2000 (No limitations baby...)
Dual Booting with Puppy linux 215CE...
My Windows 7 and windows vista ultimate cd are collecting dust in the drawer...Guess i am gonna give it away...

I used to love Ubuntu..(The very first series until the devs turned it into A more-than-Microsoft-Uber-bloated crappy version of..nothing )

Point is that nowadays in the forums....

Well the forums they are not what they used to be anymore...I remeber back in the day when the forums where a place where YOU COULD LEARN A LOT OF STUFF FROM THE MORE ADVANCED AND OLDER GUYS...
Now ,it seems that everyone posting in the forum is under 16 and their memory goes as back as windows XP SP3...

No offence intended..I met teenagers who where extremely proefficient with the computer...

It's just that..

Oh well,

jmillar....Pleased to meetcha buddy...:cool:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2009 11:20PM by Gorilla no baka.

Posted by: disrupted(unlogged)
Date: February 01, 2009 06:53AM

Gorilla no baka
I used to love Ubuntu..(The very first series until the devs turned it into A more-than-Microsoft-Uber-bloated crappy version of..nothing )

http://www.pardus.org.tr/eng/

Posted by: Fred
Date: February 01, 2009 04:39PM

@ Gorilla na baka

A very good Linux distro to install is also Sidux
in the DVD version, based on Debian-sid, which uses
KDE or Xfce as window managers (others can be added).

http://distrowatch.com/5259

Or, if a lighter Ubuntu variation is preferred, have a
look at Linux Mint 5 Xfce , which includes already all
the necessary proprietary media and flash plugins
out of the box. There is also an extremely light Fluxbox
version available.

http://distrowatch.com/5076

If you want programs used for media files editing, there
are the free so-called "unstable" versions of Elive

http://distrowatch.com/5206

or for specialists the big DVD of Musix

http://distrowatch.com/5230

For TVcards everything is prearranged in Mythbuntu

http://distrowatch.com/5165

and there are 100 and more different Linux flavours
reviewed on Distrowatch.com .

N.B.

I have not tried Pardus myself yet, but I have read
that this is also a very good distro.

Fred

Date: February 02, 2009 07:08PM

Fred
@ Gorilla na baka

A very good Linux distro to install is also Sidux
in the DVD version, based on Debian-sid, which uses
KDE or Xfce as window managers (others can be added).

http://distrowatch.com/5259

Or, if a lighter Ubuntu variation is preferred, have a
look at Linux Mint 5 Xfce , which includes already all
the necessary proprietary media and flash plugins
out of the box. There is also an extremely light Fluxbox
version available.

http://distrowatch.com/5076

If you want programs used for media files editing, there
are the free so-called "unstable" versions of Elive

http://distrowatch.com/5206

or for specialists the big DVD of Musix

http://distrowatch.com/5230

For TVcards everything is prearranged in Mythbuntu

http://distrowatch.com/5165

and there are 100 and more different Linux flavours
reviewed on Distrowatch.com .

N.B.

I have not tried Pardus myself yet, but I have read
that this is also a very good distro.

Fred

Thanks a lot...

All of the distros up top are nice but none of them can compete with Puppy linux...
My 215 comunity edition comes with 2 desktop managers ICEWM AND JWM

None of them above can compete with these lightweight destopmanagers
I recently switched over to puppy 4.1 and that one uses ICWM and is heluva fast..

Posted by: Fred
Date: February 02, 2009 08:41PM

Puppy should add the possibility to work as a normal
user out of the box. At present you always work as root.
In my view this is a drawback for many, who get an
unsafe feeling when using this otherwise very attractive
distro. I don't understand why the developers renounce
having a simple user account available. It may be possible
to add one nowadays with some effort, while before it was
impossible, but the basic concept seems flawed by that.

Icewm and JWM are both very good lightweight window managers
and I use them myself very often. They can easily be added to
all distros, either installing a .deb , .rpm or .tgz from
their repositories, or simply having ready a packed tar.gz
or tar.bz2 of icewm or JWM including some small other files, to
make it usable in almost every existing distro.

Fred

Posted by: panzer
Date: February 03, 2009 04:05PM

BTW, FF 3 3.0.6 version is out.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.