General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
7z files ''open'' (as code) in KM instead of option to "Save As..."
Posted by: gdv
Date: February 05, 2009 02:13AM

Hi all,

While using KM if I Left Click on a link to download a 7z file* (possibly some other types as well...can't remember for sure), instead of getting a "Do you want to open or save this file?" dialog like I do if I click on a link for a Zip file, the 7z file will "open" as code in KM (as if you were to open the 7z file in a text editor).

Of course I can Right Click and "Save link target as...", but I imagine there is a simple tweak to the settings somewhere which would cause the Left Click to prompt whether to Open or Save, but I can't find it.

Anyone know where/how to do this?

Thanks! smiling smiley

*e.g., this link for the 7-Zipped privacy mode skin provided by disrupted in this privacy mode thread.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 7z files ''open'' (as code) in KM instead of option to "Save As..."
Posted by: Yogi
Date: February 05, 2009 02:59PM

gdv
Anyone know if that is a possible risk?
Nope.
In case the server is passing wrong information, the browser will try to render the file (as in the case above) and in worst case scenario it will crash.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: February 05, 2009 05:37PM

you may try adding 7z in mime types editor and select save directly to disk... it didn't work for me though, don't know why..

edit: no, no risk just as yogi said.. if any file opens in window as text it can't execute code and if the file is too big it might crash.. if it disguises as binary exe then kmeleon as gecko security dictates will never execute inside browser

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2009 05:47PM by disrupted.

Posted by: desga2
Date: February 05, 2009 06:37PM

If you use a FTP client to upload the 7zip file you must check upload like binary type file instead ASCII text in FTP client settings.

Thus, it is possible that the server can distinguish how to serve the 7zip file.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: disrupted
Date: February 05, 2009 10:39PM

yes, i always upload as binary.. but holaservers doesn't understand.. badly configured server but it's free and accepts all files so smiling smiley

Posted by: gdv
Date: February 06, 2009 07:28AM

@disrupted, @Yogi, and @desga2

Thanks for all the helpful info --- good to know! smiling smiley

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.