General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
GRE 1.9 compatible KM, without lua?
Posted by: Drahken
Date: March 02, 2009 03:27AM

Is there a GRE 1.9 compatible version of KM with the old macro system instead of the new lua crap? The massive hassle of converting all my macros, accelerators, menus, & the like to the new system is why I'm still using KM 1.02. I'd really like a faster rendering engine & javascript engine though, like the one in ff3 & the most recent seamonkey.

On a related note, are there any advanced versions of KM like this, besides hao's? Hao's versions are good overall, but trying to get rid of the condensed "20 menus into 1 image" system he always uses & back to a normal "file/edit/view/etc" toolbar is a royal nightmare.

----
"People who live in glass houses ....should close the friggin curtains!"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: GRE 1.9 compatible KM, without lua?
Posted by: guenter
Date: March 02, 2009 07:27AM

Drahken
Is there a GRE 1.9 compatible version of KM with the old macro system

"20 menus into 1 image" system he always uses & back to a normal "file/edit/view/etc" toolbar is a royal nightmare.

1.)

a.) Go to anouncements.
Dorian's! It can run with the newest nightlies with new script engine.

b.) Else General Forum Fred's 4 UniX and Windows.

d.) You probably even can use Hao's newest Eye Candy version's Exe with these (provided You use his skin or alter another Yourself). It sure looks sharp but reacts slower, when I want to use shut down or resize via System bar.

K-Meleon is modular. The core modules are by Dorian. These modules are compatible.

There is one Problem - because of a change in Mozilla cert handling I have trouble to activate that via chrome. You have to add exceptions by hand. No auto opening add menu like 1.5. and earlier had.

2.) Is a old pref introduced with K-Meleon 0.9. Since then all K-Meleons can toggle kmeleon.toolband.Menu.visibility between true and false. I use it with normal K-Meleon. There You can set it in Preferences Toolbars. I do not remember where You do it in CCF. But You can always edit prefs.js while browser is shut down.

Or create a user.js and insert.

user_pref("kmeleon.toolband.Menu.visibility", true);

That should force normal menu for any K-Meleon, K-Ninja...

p.s. Unless the pref has been changed intentionally or by regretion?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2009 02:02PM by guenter.

Date: March 02, 2009 07:52PM

1) I know that hao's versions use the lua system, and from what I've seen here on the forums ever since lua was first used in KM, all newer versions of KM use lua. You're saying that dorian's & fred's don't use lua?

2) Oh yeah, that toolband pref. I knew there was some option for that somewhere, but I've been avoiding new versions of KM for so long that I had forgotten exactly where it was/what it was called.

3) A while ago I downloaded hao's me .09rc2 version, to see how KM ran with the new gre & javascript engines, and I see that "about:{anything}" doesn't work in it. (Plain "about:" just gives an error about an impo=roper url, about:config (the most important "about:*" one) just gives a not found error.) Does anyone know whether this is just an issue with that version of KM, or if all the ones built on the new engines has the same poroblem?

----

Posted by: Hao Jiang
Date: March 02, 2009 08:21PM

Let me try to explain the differences of K-MeleonCCF ME with standard official K-Meleon:

1) CCF ME is using a different structure called NO-XUL, which makes it using very different chrome structure than the offcial K-Meleon, so a lot of K-Meleon extensions using chrome won't work on CCF ME, however you are able to get some performance boost when not using XUL. And that's why there 's no about:config in CCFME.

2) Lua macro system instead of standard macro
Lua macro and the standard macro are both good. However CCFME version doesn't support XUL, the standard K-Meleon preference panel won't work on CCFME, so I have to write a lua based preference panel for the configuration of K-Meleon.

K-Meleon 1.6 which Dorian is working on supports the latest Gecko 1.9x and also it comes with the standard macro system with support with standard XUL like K-Meleon 1.0x and K-Meleon 1.5x.

Date: March 02, 2009 09:39PM

Drahken
1) I know that hao's versions use the lua system,

2) Oh yeah, that toolband pref.

3) "about:{anything}"

1.) Absolut, CCF is using lua-system instead of standard's macros.dll and jsbridge.dll (AFAIK bridge to js in chrome).

Most other components (excepts spicific settings) are AFAIK interchangeable.

2.) I also forget that pref & always look it up in user.js of 0.9 smiling smiley

3.)AFAIK about : config needs many kb of chrome files working together.
This working together and finding files is done by chrome.dll and xpt.
The *.xul files are helped to find the style.css, icons, png, sript.js, property and language.dtd inside folders and archives. This handling of chrome 6 its scripts subtracts resources from web page handling. XUL is IMHO similar to html heavy with script.

There is another flat chrome that can only use single files - no working together.
The finding inside this simplified structure is done by chrmlite.dll and its xpt.
This simple model with no scripts eats less CPU.

about : plugins works. I placed all files needed for plugins.xhtml into one file.
I found no other solution.

Perhaps You could do that for config.xul? AFAIK none that tried has succeeded.

p.s. console & config are the items I really miss.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2009 09:49PM by guenter.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: March 02, 2009 10:02PM

@ Hao Jiang

Thank you for the explanation. That puts several threads in better perspective for me.

Date: March 03, 2009 02:46AM

Sounds like I should keep an eye on dorian's 1.6 ver.

What I really want is the same browser I currently have (same layout, settings, functions, etc), but faster. Ideally I'd also like one with tabs instead of layers (so I could do things like rearrange layers/tabs by dragging), but the last time I looked for tabbed versions of KM, they were only available in zero-xul versions. (While removing the xul does speed things up & reduce memory load, the cost in functionality loss is just too high IMO.)
Tabs vs layers isn't of particular importance to me though, it's just a "it'd be nice" thing.

----

Posted by: disrupted
Date: March 03, 2009 04:05AM

1.9.0 is faster than 1.8.. but the rendering speed isn't a big increase and hardly noticeable in most cases.
the real speed gain is with the js tracemonkey engine in 1.9.1 and above. it is indeed very fast and seems to be at par with the v8 engine(according to benchmark sites) however the engine is littered with bugs, occasionally gets heart attacks on heavy js pages and has serious issues with handling memory and cpu usage.

edit: true tabs have been implemented in 1.5.x versions.. there are no more layers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2009 04:08AM by disrupted.

Date: March 03, 2009 08:55AM

disrupted
1.9.0 is faster than 1.8.. but the rendering speed isn't a big increase and hardly noticeable in most cases.

has serious issues with handling memory and cpu usage.

1.) was highly optimized for 1.8. GRE already.

2.) IMHO is so by design, needs more storage and cpu.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: March 03, 2009 04:54PM

Drahken
Is there a GRE 1.9 compatible version of KM with the old macro system instead of the new lua crap? The massive hassle of converting all my macros, accelerators, menus, & the like to the new system is why I'm still using KM 1.02. I'd really like a faster rendering engine & javascript engine though, like the one in ff3 & the most recent seamonkey.

On a related note, are there any advanced versions of KM like this, besides hao's? Hao's versions are good overall, but trying to get rid of the condensed "20 menus into 1 image" system he always uses & back to a normal "file/edit/view/etc" toolbar is a royal nightmare.

Drahken,

One other perspective on your macros (I too use KM 1.0.2 and keep 1.5.2 around as a test bed). When they changed the macro language, it became much harder imo to write your own macro. I know, I tried to convert and found it very hard because I believe the new macro language has so many hard to decipher rules, commands, etc., that you don't see when you try to edit a macro in say, notepad or metapad. Thanks to James, I managed to convert some of my executables to a Tools sub-menu, but in KM 1.0.2 I have lots of URLS that I load up through the Help Menu and that no longer works for me as I get undecipherable errors when I try and add them into KM 1.5.2.

There has been work done on using Notepad ++ with KM 1.5.2 macros, but I haven't followed the progress on that properly.

N

Posted by: JamesD
Date: March 03, 2009 08:34PM

@ ndebord

Have you looked at using sessions, which is a part of KM 1.5.2 to load specific URLs? Also there is Groups2.kmm http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/KmmGroups2 in the MacroLibrary which can load URLs.

I would be happy to help with your current macros from KM 1.02 if you wish me to.

Date: March 05, 2009 11:04AM

Ya, I know there isn't a lot of speed diff between gre 1.8x & 1.9x, but as I understand it you have to use 1.9x in order to use the new js engine.
I wind up frequenting some pretty js heavy sites, and the current(old) js engine is extremely slow. I have tried the same sites with a browser that uses gre 1.9x & the new js engine, and they work about a dozen times faster.

I would be happy simply replacing the old js dll file with the new one & continuing to use my existing 1.8 based browser, but I don't think that would be possible.

----

Date: March 06, 2009 03:12AM

JamesD
@ ndebord

Have you looked at using sessions, which is a part of KM 1.5.2 to load specific URLs? Also there is Groups2.kmm http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/KmmGroups2 in the MacroLibrary which can load URLs.

I would be happy to help with your current macros from KM 1.02 if you wish me to.

James,

I use Groups in the older KM and have only experimented a little with the new Sessions. Have NOT looked at the Groups2.kmm at all.

Tks for the info; guess this is a bit of a whine as I am used to the simpler old macro language where I could easily do little macros. It may sound strange to others that I would load up Urls on a Main Menu key (like Help), but it actually was quite easy and as to why I did it there, well simply because there were already macros there for K-meleon Forum, Wiki, etc.

N

Posted by: Fred
Date: March 06, 2009 05:44AM

@ ndebord

It is not that difficult to achieve what you want.
Below there is a short macro for MyURLs.kmm, which
would add a MyURLs menu to "Help".
I have prepared three URLs, but you can easily
change the URLs or add some more, once you understand
the pattern.
In case you should want to open all MyURLs at the
same time, use the _OpenallURLs part.
Note that I called the macros _theURLname, while
for the menu names we have theURLname only, without a _ .
Open Notepad and copy and paste the following :
---------------------------

# ------------ MyURLs menu ----------------
#
# Dependencies :
# Resources : -
# Preferences : -
#
# -------------------------------------------------------

_USAtoday{
$OpenURL="usatoday.com";
&OpenURL_InNew;
}
_NewYorkTimes{
$OpenURL="nyt.com";
&OpenURL_InNew;
}
_CNN{
$OpenURL="cnn.com";
&OpenURL_InNew;
}
_OpenallURLs{
$OpenURL1="usatoday.com";
$OpenURL2="nyt.com";
$OpenURL3="cnn.com";
opentab($OpenURL1);
opentab($OpenURL2);
opentab($OpenURL3);
}
# ----- PRIVATE

_MyURLs_BuildMenu{
$_MyURLs = "My URLs";
setmenu("&Help",popup,$_MyURLs,Misc);
setmenu($_MyURLs,macro,"USAtoday",_USAtoday);
setmenu($_MyURLs,macro,"NewYorkTimes",_NewYorkTimes);
setmenu($_MyURLs,macro,"CNN",_CNN);
setmenu($_MyURLs,macro,"Open all my URLs",_OpenallURLs);
}

$OnInit=$OnInit."_MyURLs_BuildMenu;";
# ----------------------------------------------------------
$macroModules=$macroModules."MyURLs;";

---------------------------
Adapt the code to your personal URLs , and save
the macro as MyURLs.kmm , as all files, not as .txt .
and put the macro into the macros folder.
After a browser restart the MyURLs menu should appear in "Help".
I shortened the used URLs because http and www would
scramble the code, when used in the Forum. You can of course
use the full addresses, if you want to.

Regards

Fred

Date: March 07, 2009 04:10AM

Fred,

This is exactly what I need. Between you and James, I now have 1.5.2 working like 1.0.2 did for me, but with all the additional improvements. Sweet!

Much thanks,

N

Date: March 07, 2009 05:07PM

Drahken

Drahken,

Well, in terms of macros, Fred's new one and Jame's old one is more than an acceptable substitute for my old macro routine using KM 1.0.2. So I'm pretty happy now and will wait to see what happens with KM 1.6xx

<VBG>

(Firmly (finally) in the KM 1.5.2 camp)

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2009 05:07PM by ndebord.

Date: March 14, 2009 08:25PM

Drahken,

Did you incorporate James and Fred's macro systems into your KM?

(I have and am happy enough to put KM 1.0.2 aside and make KM 1.5.2 my main browsers (finally)).

N

Posted by: playdayz
Date: March 16, 2009 09:30PM

@guenter

1.)

a.) Go to anouncements.
Dorian's! It can run with the newest nightlies with new script engine.

Are there written instructions about how this is done by any chance?

Posted by: desga2
Date: March 16, 2009 09:54PM

You can test Fred's unofficial SM versions.
Read this thread about Fred's SM versions.

Direct download to the last K-Meleon-SM2-W3.zip version.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2009 09:55PM by desga2.

Posted by: playdayz
Date: March 17, 2009 02:25AM

thanks desga2, I have SM2 as well as CCFME, I am just interested in learning a little more about how it is done

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.