General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: EU says M$ must offer other browsers in Windows 7.
Posted by: guenter
Date: March 11, 2009 05:18PM

AirSpirit
desga2

Epiphany

Konqueror

I would like to see Epiphany in motion.

You can try Konqueror - it is available in KDE for Windows. But I prefer K-Meleon.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2009 05:21PM by guenter.

Attachments: Zwischenablage02.jpg (22.2 KB)  
Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BenoitRen
Date: March 26, 2009 10:48PM

guenter
IMHO the ability to uninstall IE shell was always present; MS merely denied that You could uninstall and by default hid IE's uninstalling menu item from end users.
This was true in Windows 98. Not so in Windows XP.
bill
It's like requiring BMW to put Porsche parts in every BMW built.
No, because those car parts are integral to the car product. A web browser is not an integral part of a computer operating system.
AirSpirit
There're also some programs such as nLite which can help you.
This is a third-party program. It's not an excuse.

You can't uninstall IE because it's integral part of the older versions of Windows itself
Well, duh. And that's where it went wrong.

Also if it's a so big trouble for you to have a 20mb of disk space used for IE, you're free to use another OS
It's more than 20 MB.
caktus
When it comes right down to brass tacks, it was consumers that made MS a so-called monopoly.
Yes. But I chose my words poorly in my previous post. Monopoly abuse is illegal.

We consumers made a personal choice to buy Windows.
Most consumers don't make the choice to buy Windows. It's the only choice if you want a PC, next to a Mac. Thankfully this is slowly starting to change.

BTW, who actually complained about IE having been bundled with Windows? The only entity I recall accutally complaining about it where EU officails. If some one does not want to use IE, for years there have been many alternatives.
Netscape complained. Many geeks complained. Mozilla and Opera never liked it.

If some one does not want to use IE, for years there have been many alternatives.
But no uninstall option for IE.

Immagine installing a brand new OS only to find you have no way to surf the net unless you already have an alternative available.
This is where the OEM comes in, who pre-loads the OS with your web browser of choice. A CD-ROM could also be provided with web browsers to choose from. How do you think Windows 3.1 and early 95 users got on the web?

Posted by: Yogi
Date: March 27, 2009 12:24AM

BenoitRen
In the meantime, it looks like Windows 7 finally delivers the feature we have been asking for for years. The ability to uninstall IE.

AFAIK IE makes part of the Windows OS.
So far it's impossible to get rid of IE for good.
All you can do is to make it invisible/unusually for the user.
Don't know about Windows 7 but I would be very surprised if M$ has modified their OS into a modular one.

Posted by: guenter
Date: March 27, 2009 11:31AM

Yogi
AFAIK IE makes part of the Windows OS.

So far it's impossible to get rid of IE for good.

1.) No. The OS is still working & stable when IE and Trident are gone.

Some Trident components are used by system managers.
But You can also do without them.

2.) You can always uninstall the shell that is the IE browser and most Trident components without adverse effects like making the OS unstable.

There are programs that uninstall IE shell (& Trident if You want) for You with xp and older Windows (I have not looked whether it is possible with Vista).
You can also edit the responsible inf file to make IE uninstall visible in Windows native uninstall menu.

Some Trident components are e.g. used by the software install/uninstall applet.
You must substitute them with e.g. a 3rd party install/uninstall application if You uninstall Trident.

nlite can even build XP install CDs without IE and Trident. The OS works stable but AFAIR You also need a 3rd party uninstall applet.

p.s. With 9.x and NT based Windows AFAIK up to ME & Win2000 IE and Trident are no needed part of Windows. & You can do totally uninstall & do not need anything except a new browser.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2009 11:59AM by guenter.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.