General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Couple of conclusions and other stuff
Posted by: reeko124
Date: March 09, 2009 10:27AM

I am officially tired of trying out other browsers. Its mostly because 99% of them are IE based and no matter how you dress them they are all still the same. On to something good now. I just want to commend the grandfather that made the Zac Browser for his autistic grandson. Thanks to whomever posted that in another thread. It made me look up the story behind it and I am glad I did.

Another conclusion is there are some people out there that you can't convince to use K-Meleon, Firefox, or Opera no matter how many times you have to help them get rid of spyware and viruses because they used IE and didn't protect themselves. I tell everyone about K-Meleon first but no one takes my advice. Its so sad more people don't know about this browser.

I have also noticed that besides Windows nearly all my programs on it are open source. I started finding open source stuff when I got tired of using to much ram and taking up alot of space on my HD. I didn't know the term "open source" existed until I found a browser called K-Meleon. Anyone have a list of light programs that they use in place of others open sourced or not?

Miranda IM
www.miranda-im.org
It is a basic multi protocol IM. it is 2mb installed you can add more to it if you like.

I got others but I'll add later if people decide to add anything here. I know there is stuff in another thread but it is mostly media and browser related.

Reeko

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2009 10:30AM by reeko124.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Couple of conclusions and other stuff
Posted by: disrupted
Date: March 10, 2009 12:11PM

i love miranda..you can do so many things with it.. not just messaging.. check weather, mail.. make phone calls, the list is endless with numerous plugins.

here's a nice list:
http://www.econsultant.com/i-want-open-source-software/index.html

Posted by: caktus
Date: March 10, 2009 07:43PM

RE: Miranda IM
[www.miranda-im.org]

While scanning the 7z folder from the link in the first post with Avast, Avast indicated a virus in the file. The details Avast indicated are:

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\New Folder\capplus.7z\tools\capplus\capplus.exe

Win32:Trojan-gen {Other}

Virus/Worm

090309-0, 03/09/2009

Could this be a false positive? Instructions at the Avast forum suggested moving it to the chest (quartentine) but Avast couldn't perform the function on this item.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Posted by: desga2
Date: March 10, 2009 08:03PM

Before caktus's post is about this other thread. (capture page into image)

The file capplus.7z and capplus.exe (included in it) are OK for Avira Antivir: No virus found. (Updated today)

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2009 08:11PM by desga2.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: March 10, 2009 08:47PM

yeah.. perhaps i should have given it another name, apparently avast is confusing it with a virus called cap.plus.exe .. that's how smart antiviruses are.. they find viruses by name now??
http://www.hijackthis-forum.de/archiv/2776-false-positive-k-meleon-browser.html

Posted by: reeko124
Date: March 10, 2009 11:48PM

For a minute there guys I thought I did something wrong with recommending it lol. You can seriously add almost anything to the messenger that you would like. I have it set the way I want to and it is total of only 4.2mb. Thats way better then Trillian which is also a multi protocol messenger at 20mb and not all the stuff you can get with Miranda. I hacked trillian down to around 10mb by removing stuff i would never use but Miranda loads faster and uses less ram so i went back with it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2009 11:48PM by reeko124.

Posted by: caktus
Date: March 11, 2009 03:36AM

Oh, well! Good or bad, what ever the problem was, it is now cleared up. I'll just chalk it up to good traing for something.:cool: Now I'll see what Miranda is all about.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.