General discussion about K-Meleon 
Firefox extension install.
Posted by: guenter
Date: April 01, 2009 09:32PM
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Firefox extension install.
Posted by: reeko124
Date: April 01, 2009 09:56PM

You know guenter that Firefox is eventually going to go to real crap because of that kind of stuff. Thats why I haven't used FF in almost a year. FF is so great it takes 5 minutes to load, a vicious memory leak and as time wore on it seemed to get slower and slower. Now to top it all off things get downloaded to it without your permission. Maybe its good that KM isn't as well known sad smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2009 09:59PM by reeko124.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: April 02, 2009 07:45AM

i never liked the idea of km getting too popular but that was mainly for the forum's quality.. but now there are more reasons to keep km a secret since ms are sticking their nose where it desnt belong and mozilla is obviously allowing them to do it

Posted by: Yogi
Date: April 02, 2009 04:59PM

disrupted
i never liked the idea of km getting too popular but that was mainly for the forum's quality.. but now there are more reasons to keep km a secret since ms are sticking their nose where it desnt belong and mozilla is obviously allowing them to do it

An extended popularity of a software isn't necessarily a benefit for the (advanced) user.
A bigger user base means more considerations on the part of the developers having Joe average user in mind and the risk of commercialization in a negative sense concerning the user.
On the other hand a rising popularity of K-M could mean even more motivation for the handful hard working people involved in this project and at the same time an extra sign of more than deserved appreciation.
---------------------

Regarding FF extensions
It's a long time since but I've tested and quickly dumped FF twice till now and probably there will be no third testing on my side. I was very disappointed about how user hostile and at the same time 'webmaster friendly' this open source browser was right out of the box.
The first thing after installation was to set up the browser the way I prefer.
I didn't find any option from the GUI to quickly enable/disable the referer.
That alone was strange enough to say the least. Out of curiosity I went into the browser config (wonder how many of the average users would do alike).
Searching for referer ended up with another surprise. While the options are there in order to obfuscate the option for totally disabling it's written in different ways: "Referer"(for HTTP) and "Referrer"(for HTTPS).
Than searching the web I found out that there is an ingenious extension for disabling/enabling the referer from the GUI. I can't tell if that ingenious extension did toggle the referer for HTTPS as well since I didn't waste my time any longer by installing it.
So far I can't even tell which of FF's extensions I would find handy let alone asking for their use in K-M.

Nevertheless, extensions, plug-ins, even user.js can rise security or at least privacy concerns no matter which browser they are used with. Users will have to live with it and all they can do is to take into consideration these risks.
In any case extensions, plug-ins, user.js have at least the advantage to enhance the usability of a browser with extra features without the need of endless bloating the core browser with more or less exotic features.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2009 05:01PM by Yogi.

Posted by: caktus
Date: April 02, 2009 07:00PM

Why in hell, heaven and earth would MS of all people do such a thing, yet deliberately?! If it were Sony or some nefarious scumware I could understand. But MS?! Definately a good reason not to use MS's "Express" or "Auto" update. I'm glad I only use the "Custom" Update.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Posted by: desga2
Date: April 02, 2009 07:40PM

Welcome to the new "Cold War" for XXI century.
Micro$oft vs Mozilla vs Google

Round 1: Micro$oft 1 Mozilla 0

grinning smiley

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2009 08:49PM by desga2.

Posted by: Yogi
Date: April 02, 2009 08:31PM

After all it's nothing else than a 'WAR' for market share -> profit.
The internet enabled unforeseen potentialities of tracking people's habits and preferences.
The browser is an ideal instrument for collecting and forwarding these valuable informations. The methods become more and more subtly.
Some of them are even demanded by most of the bemused average user (e.g. site check or different toolbars) grinning smiley
A war between free available software/browsers wouldn't make any sense if it wasn't about money.

Posted by: caktus
Date: April 03, 2009 01:45AM

@ Yogi

Actually, it seems tracking and feeding some browsing habits can lead to favorably enhanced surfing/shopping/searching. It is the many scum-ware/blow-holes that try to screw it up for every one.:mad:

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Posted by: disrupted(unlogged)
Date: April 10, 2009 03:05PM

addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5548

Posted by: xGrind
Date: April 10, 2009 03:23PM

:drool: