General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Long work
Posted by: AirSpirit
Date: April 02, 2009 02:05PM

K-Meleon is good, but it seem not to be good for long work sad smiley
It has been running for 1 day and 6-7 hours, and now it uses about 240 mb of memory (with only 5-10 tabs opened), its GUI periodically delays about a second or two before it takes any actions and K-Meleon became significantly slower in general. I think it's because of some memory leaks or something like this. sad smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Long work
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: April 02, 2009 02:23PM

Report your K-meleon version too winking smiley

Anyway, we talked time ago here. Check it:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,78686,78958

Posted by: Yogi
Date: April 02, 2009 03:06PM

AirSpirit
It has been running for 1 day and 6-7 hours,

I've never run a browser non-stop for such a long time in my life and probably never will therefore my question. How does K-M compare to other browsers just in case you did run such Marathons with other browsers as well?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2009 03:07PM by Yogi.

Date: April 02, 2009 03:24PM

@JohnHell
I use the lastest stable version available - 1.5.2

@Yogi
I can't tell. I've started to use K-Meleon long ago. Early I've used Maxthon, but it was in the dial-up age, so it have never worked for such a long time. Maybe someone else did such tests.

Actually I don't much care about memory consumption, the slowing down and GUI freezings are more important bad effects.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2009 03:35PM by AirSpirit.

Date: April 02, 2009 04:02PM

AirSpirit
@JohnHell
I use the lastest stable version available - 1.5.2
OK, this is important for other users using your version, to try theirselves and suggest.
AirSpirit
@Yogi
I can't tell. I've started to use K-Meleon long ago. Early I've used Maxthon, but it was in the dial-up age, so it have never worked for such a long time. Maybe someone else did such tests.

Actually I don't much care about memory consumption, the slowing down and GUI freezings are more important bad effects.
The slowing down and GUI freezes is just part of the memory consumption, so, yes, you must care about that, not only for k-meleon, for any application.

Again, if you haven't done yet, I invite you to read "around" this message:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,78686,78958#msg-78958 (up and bellow replies).

There are several reasons but not exactly K-meleon as the culprit/guilty.

Date: April 02, 2009 04:30PM

@ JohnHell
I've read this topic. I think that restarting K-Meleon and opening the last session is a good way smiling smiley

Also some apps can work for a very long time without memory leaks (i.e. uTorrent or Comodo), but it is a neccesary for them because of their purpose smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2009 04:35PM by AirSpirit.

Posted by: desga2
Date: April 02, 2009 04:46PM

Minimize K-Meleon some time to released memory.
Usually is a lot use of Flash plugin (Flash videos) the cause of memory hight consumption.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: April 02, 2009 05:53PM

AirSpirit
Also some apps can work for a very long time without memory leaks (i.e. uTorrent or Comodo), but it is a neccesary for them because of their purpose smiling smiley

Tell Adobe to fix it, because as desga2 says if you left a page open with flash... bye bye memory.

Posted by: caktus
Date: April 02, 2009 06:42PM

AirSpirit
1 day and 6-7 hours

1 day and 6-7 hours seems a long time to leave a browser window open. Considering "1 day and 6-7 hours" 240MB of mem usage does not sound bad regarding any browser unless you have a small amount of RAM installed. How much RAM is installed in the system? Is there a particular reason to leave a window open for so long?

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Date: April 03, 2009 03:17AM

@caktus
I have 2gb installed, and as I've said above, things that disturb me are slowing down and GUI freezes smiling smiley
I have browsed the pages and then I had to go to work and then to the university, so I have left K-Meleon running because there were tabs which I didn't browse.

@ desga2
Thanks for the advice smiling smiley

Posted by: JamesD
Date: April 03, 2009 01:13PM

@ AirSpirit

Since you are using KM 1.5.2 there are two solutions for the situation where you have tabs that you have not yet browsed. You can use the Sessions menu item to save the current session or you can use Groups2.kmm in the Macrolibrary http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/KmmGroups2 to save the current tabs. That way you shut down KM and still get all your tabs back after you restart.

Posted by: caktus
Date: April 03, 2009 03:05PM

Another way the works great is to "File All Tabs see http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/KmmFileAllTabs

When you are ready to save the tabs go to File > File All Tabs. Under "File Name" enter or select the location or folder to which you wish to save and under "Save as type" select "Web Page, Complete. Press the "Save" buttom once then press and hold the Enter key while the remaining pages are saved. The only difference is that the page URL's will be a local URL's i.e. C:\....rather than www.... All of the links in the pages will work and the pages can be read on-line or off-line (off-line the pages will load faster.)

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Posted by: foobarly
Date: April 13, 2009 02:12PM

Since I was the one originally reporting KM memory leaks, I will barge to say that my problems persisted -- somewhat mitigated, though -- with versions 1.5.x...

The veredict is that this is partly due to poor integration/performance of the flash plugin, since I observed increased problems with flash heavy sites, even if I am compulsive user the flashblock extension; AJAX sites are other possible culprits.

I have not observed the same behaviour with Fred's Seamonkey based versions, with gecko based Orca browser, and with Safari related Iron browser -- although the later is rather memory hungry when opening multiple tabs.

Just my 2 ¢... :s

Posted by: panzer
Date: April 13, 2009 02:14PM

American or European cents? grinning smiley

Posted by: disrupted
Date: April 13, 2009 03:52PM

the problem isn't km.. there's a serious memory leak with flash 10, i noticed the same behaviour with the flash plugin on fireslut. adobe has botched flash.. when using the flash9 plugin npswf32.. the memory never grows but with flash 10 and especially with flash that contains actionscript.. the memory keeps growing forever.

make sure that fred's versions are using the same plugin.. because if the plugin is not installed in the plugins folder, k=meleon will use the one from the registry; normally installed in system32\macromedia folder.

adobe has fucked flash and that was expected when they sacked almost all the original devs from macromedia. sad smiley

Posted by: reeko124
Date: April 13, 2009 04:02PM

disrupted
the problem isn't km.. there's a serious memory leak with flash 10, i noticed the same behaviour with the flash plugin on fireslut. adobe has botched flash.. when using the flash9 plugin npswf32.. the memory never grows but with flash 10 and especially with flash that contains actionscript.. the memory keeps growing forever.

make sure that fred's versions are using the same plugin.. because if the plugin is not installed in the plugins folder, k=meleon will use the one from the registry; normally installed in system32\macromedia folder.

adobe has fucked flash and that was expected when they sacked almost all the original devs from macromedia. sad smiley

Thats what explains why pages seem like they are still loading after they are done. www.bloodyelbow.com is a MMA site i go to for news and on my very old desktop it is a pain in the ass because it keeps loading when there is nothing else to load.

Posted by: foobarly
Date: April 14, 2009 09:39PM

panzer
American or European cents? grinning smiley

I guess they're called centimes over here... tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: panzer
Date: April 16, 2009 02:10PM

smiling smiley

Date: April 20, 2009 02:09AM

Well, am I ever glad I can block Flush -- er, I mean Flash -- by default. tongue sticking out smiley

A.K.A. Arual the Wyrd

Posted by: Arrow
Date: April 20, 2009 02:27AM

Could it be anything to do with gdi objects?

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.